[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Doctor's Red Lamp by Charles Wells Moulton - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

The Doctor's Red Lamp, edited by Charles Wells Moulton

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/doctors-red-lamp-by-various/

NOTE: Some sections MAY NOT be PD in your country. Some stories are not PD for readers in Europe and/or Australia, and other countries which observe copyright of author's death +70 years. Please check the MW if they are PD for you.
A fictional series of short stories from various authors, each containing stories of doctors. The compiled set of stories has various ranges, from stories of a sad and tragic ending, to those that have a romantic finish.
(Summary by ej400)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47789

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Doctor's Red Lamp.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Doctor's Red Lamp, compiled by Charles Wells Moulton.
Section Title and Author." (see MW for complete title plus author)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Doctor's Red Lamp, compiled by Charles Wells Moulton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: doctorsredlamp_##_moulton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. doctorsredlamp_01_moulton_128kb.mp3)
For roles in the dramatic section, please upload them as doctorsredlamp_role_moulton_128kb.mp3 where "role" is the name of the role (e.g. doctorsredlamp_narrator_moulton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ej400 on December 2nd, 2023, 2:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I do have a question about this one. So, Chapter 21, the last chapter, is a one act play. Should I include this as A. Set it up like a play where everyone takes a role and etc, B. Where just one reader reads the entire chapter as normal. OR C. Should I leave the chapter out, and do it in the one act play collection instead? :help:

Thanks
Elijah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not MC'ing this, since my MC plate is full.

Either A or B, not C.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there Elijah,

I would be more than willing to be your DPL if you would like, plus, maybe reading some of the stories as well.

As to your question about the 'play' at the end. I scanned through it and it seems to only have five characters plus a person for Stage Directions. It seems that the play would take about 30-45 minutes to go through. Do you have experience in editing a play or DR? Just some things to think about.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

TriciaG wrote: March 9th, 2023, 6:07 pm I'm not MC'ing this, since my MC plate is full.

Either A or B, not C.
I'd agree!
Kalamareader wrote: March 9th, 2023, 9:22 pm Hi there Elijah,

I would be more than willing to be your DPL if you would like, plus, maybe reading some of the stories as well.

As to your question about the 'play' at the end. I scanned through it and it seems to only have five characters plus a person for Stage Directions. It seems that the play would take about 30-45 minutes to go through. Do you have experience in editing a play or DR? Just some things to think about.

Wayne
Thank you very much Wayne, I'd be happy to have you on board! :D I can PL any sections you plan on taking :thumbs:

I do have experience in doing a DR, and I could edit one! I'm a little newer to editing, but I do know how :D I could pull it off here, if that's what you would recommend.

Thanks for the input
Elijah
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Elijah, I can MC your project. Looks like interesting stories, but as far as I can see, Moulton is only the compiler of the book, not the author. I'll tweak this a little bit before we launch.

And the final mini drama you can well organize as a stage play, if you wish. I have done that a few times in some of my projects as well.

MW coming soon, stay tuned. And Wayne, welcome aboard as DPL.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok the MW is in place and I put in a few titles, to show you how it can be done.

This project is similar, so you see what the MW will look like: https://librivox.org/worlds-story-volume-x-by-eva-march-tappan/ Eva March Tappan also only was the compiler/editor of the book, so the names of all the authors should be put in the section title and read by the readers in the disclaimer. I tweaked the intro disclaimer to reflect that. I think that way it's the least chaotic.

As you can see, in the World Story project there was also a dramatic reading in one section. So this his similar here as well. Absolutely feasible.

In the summary, I would also suggest "edited or compiled by" instead of "as told by" as it would be a bit more accurate.

Could you check and tell me all the death dates of the several authors, so that we can be sure they are public domain for European readers ? For that they need to be dead for 70 already.

I let you finish filling in the MW and if there are any questions, just ask. Maybe you could also give an approximate word count for each section, so readers know how long it will take to record. Once it's filled in, we move to Readers Wanted.

Wayne has access as DPL as well.

Sonia
brucepvo

Post by brucepvo »

Hi!

Could I claim Section 2 "The Doctors of Hoyland" by Arthur Conan Doyle? (I'm super stoked about this as it would be my first read!)

Thanks,

Bruce P.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:05 am Ok the MW is in place and I put in a few titles, to show you how it can be done.

This project is similar, so you see what the MW will look like: https://librivox.org/worlds-story-volume-x-by-eva-march-tappan/ Eva March Tappan also only was the compiler/editor of the book, so the names of all the authors should be put in the section title and read by the readers in the disclaimer. I tweaked the intro disclaimer to reflect that. I think that way it's the least chaotic.

As you can see, in the World Story project there was also a dramatic reading in one section. So this his similar here as well. Absolutely feasible.

In the summary, I would also suggest "edited or compiled by" instead of "as told by" as it would be a bit more accurate.

Could you check and tell me all the death dates of the several authors, so that we can be sure they are public domain for European readers ? For that they need to be dead for 70 already.

I let you finish filling in the MW and if there are any questions, just ask. Maybe you could also give an approximate word count for each section, so readers know how long it will take to record. Once it's filled in, we move to Readers Wanted.

Wayne has access as DPL as well.

Sonia
Kitty wrote: March 11th, 2023, 9:45 am hello Elijah, I can MC your project. Looks like interesting stories, but as far as I can see, Moulton is only the compiler of the book, not the author. I'll tweak this a little bit before we launch.

And the final mini drama you can well organize as a stage play, if you wish. I have done that a few times in some of my projects as well.

MW coming soon, stay tuned. And Wayne, welcome aboard as DPL.

Sonia
Thank you so much! I'll be sure to make those appropriate changes, and let you know if I have any questions!

On a small note, I will add the separate file name for roles as well.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

brucepvo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:50 pm Hi!

Could I claim Section 2 "The Doctors of Hoyland" by Arthur Conan Doyle? (I'm super stoked about this as it would be my first read!)

Thanks,

Bruce P.
Yes, of course! Welcome aboard, and welcome to librivox as well! Glad to have you! :D

Also, before recording, please do wait for me to post again letting Kitty know that were ready, since there are a couple tweaks I will need to make before starting. I wouldn't want you to get PL notes from an incorrect intro :D

And, how would you like to be credited? I can create you a reader profile which will track all your recordings and the likes. :thumbs:

Thanks
Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:05 am Could you check and tell me all the death dates of the several authors, so that we can be sure they are public domain for European readers ? For that they need to be dead for 70 already.

Sonia
OK, so I've run into question 1. What happens if I can't find the author? :help:

I'll add word counts and other things later, and continue to work on the ones I can find.

Thanks
Elijah
brucepvo

Post by brucepvo »

ej400 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 6:33 pm
brucepvo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:50 pm Hi!

Thanks,

Bruce P.
Yes, of course! Welcome aboard, and welcome to librivox as well! Glad to have you! :D

Also, before recording, please do wait for me to post again letting Kitty know that were ready, since there are a couple tweaks I will need to make before starting. I wouldn't want you to get PL notes from an incorrect intro :D

And, how would you like to be credited? I can create you a reader profile which will track all your recordings and the likes. :thumbs:

Thanks
Elijah
Thank you! I will await confirmation before submitting. I can be credited by my full name "Bruce Powell"

I noticed that the was assigned in the magic window to Section 1, rather than Section 2, The Doctors of Hoyland, which I what I originally requested.

Thanks!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

brucepvo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:06 pm Thank you! I will await confirmation before submitting. I can be credited by my full name "Bruce Powell"

I noticed that the was assigned in the magic window to Section 1, rather than Section 2, The Doctors of Hoyland, which I what I originally requested.

Thanks!
Whoops, my bad! It's okay, I had to adjust the claim after creating your reader page :D And speaking of which, here it is: https://librivox.org/reader/18411?primary_key=18411&search_category=reader&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Thank you so much!
Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:05 am (requests)

Sonia
Ok, so I've entered as many authors death years in, and tried to state which ones weren't PD for some readers (I think only 1 section). The ones that I'm unsure of for, have been marked in the MW as "(PD-euro?)."

Word counts have been entered as well.

If there's anything I missed, or needs my attention, please let me know!
Elijah
brucepvo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:06 pm I will await confirmation before submitting.
And you my friend, may begin recording :D Thanks for your patience!

Elijah
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:33 pmOk, so I've entered as many authors death years in, and tried to state which ones weren't PD for some readers (I think only 1 section). The ones that I'm unsure of for, have been marked in the MW as "(PD-euro?)."
great job. I will see whether I can find any missing authors and let you know.

Could you just please remove the years from the title section, they don't have to be read and don't need to be included in the catalogue page later on. Anything that is now in the Title section will be in the catalogue and it doesn't look good to see "PD Europe?" there for example. Simply write them in the Notes section, and say that they are not PD for Europe or Australia as you did with some of them already. For those in doubt, we better make them US exclusive as well, to be on the safe side, so make a note there as well.

I'll move to to Readers Wanted this evening when all is adjusted. Need to get ready for family lunch now.

Sonia