Automatically Play Chapters Without Download?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MichSeg

Post by MichSeg »

Is there a way to listen to an entire book rather than playing each chapter separately without downloading? Im trying to cut down on using apps and downloading if its not necessary. Looked around but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for insight.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think if you listen from the archive page, it will play automatically one section after another, once you've pressed Play for the first one. You can get there from the "Internet Archive Page" link, which is on the bottom left side of the catalogue page of each project (or at the bottom of the page when viewing from a mobile phone).
I hope this works!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It depends on what you mean by "downloading".

Any time you stream anything (LibriVox or not), you are accessing it via download. You are using the same mobile data, say, if you stream something or if you save it to your phone. The difference is where and for how long the file is stored on the device.

That said, the Archive pages are a great idea.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

You can also check the official Librivox Youtube channel too. Books are always listed as one long "video" (or potentially more than one if they go over about 7.5 hours). There's also the unofficial Librivox app that's nice for streaming too from your mobile devices.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to say again - all Youtube channels and apps are not official - we can have friendly relations with them but we have absolutely no control over anything they do.
Anyone can label anything with LibriVox.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:36 am I think if you listen from the archive page, it will play automatically one section after another, once you've pressed Play for the first one. You can get there from the "Internet Archive Page" link, which is on the bottom left side of the catalogue page of each project (or at the bottom of the page when viewing from a mobile phone).
I hope this works!
This is what I do, and I find it works very well for me. The archive page remembers what chapter/section I'm on, even if it sometimes forgets where I am within that chapter, if I have to stop in the middle. It also has a button to back up ten seconds, which I make frequent use of if I get distracted or just want to hear something over again. And it's very nice not to have to download an app or anything.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

annise wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm Just to say again - all Youtube channels and apps are not official - we can have friendly relations with them but we have absolutely no control over anything they do.

Anne
I understand. I'm referring to the actual Librivox youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@LibriVoxAudiobooks
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

flavo5000 wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:38 am
annise wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm Just to say again - all Youtube channels and apps are not official - we can have friendly relations with them but we have absolutely no control over anything they do.

Anne
I understand. I'm referring to the actual Librivox youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@LibriVoxAudiobooks
Which has our permission and sanction, but isn't officially ours. :) If BengtW took that channel in a totally different direction or was hit by a bus, we'd have no say in it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

MichSeg wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:31 pm Is there a way to listen to an entire book rather than playing each chapter separately without downloading? Im trying to cut down on using apps and downloading if its not necessary. Looked around but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for insight.
I'm in total agreement!
Yes it's true that the archive.org page allows for continuous play, but the interface is - yikes - simultaneously overkill and yet not enough.

I created this bookmarklet to solve specifically the issue of continuous playback, without leaving LibriVox.org.

PLAYMAKER - CONTINUOUS PLAY

EDIT:
You can find the bookmarklet here: https://vox.quartertone.net/#pm

It is also available as a Firefox extension or a TamperMonkey script

You can use this bookmarklet on any book/project page of LibriVox (for example). The script will replace the "Play" button of each track with an audio element loader. Clicking "load" will load that particular audio track in to an HTML audio element so that you can actually play the audio without leaving the page.

Notes:
  • After each track finishes playing, the next track will automatically load and start to play.
  • Browser will remeber your progress in each track you play. Progress will clear when the track finishes playing.
  • Browser will remember the last track you played, and will pick up where you left off.

Save the as a bookmark (drag the text to your bookmarks bar). Give it a click when you visit a LibriVox book/collection. Play!
Last edited by quartertone on May 19th, 2023, 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I use software called Cozy. It plays through the chapters nicely. It only works on Linux though.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I’ve been listening to a novel on my iPad using the “unofficial” Librivox app (it’s not part of Librivox, but it delivers Librivox content). It moves automatically from chapter to chapter and doesn’t include the Librivox disclaimer at the start and end of every chapter. There’s a brief pause between chapters, but I don’t have to do anything to keep it moving. If I leave the app and come back a few days later, I can “resume” the book where I left off.

When I finish a book, I have the option of removing it from the app, which I assume gets rid of any downloads. So in my case, it makes sense to have the app.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
weiz

Post by weiz »

Hope that this service can help: https://librivox.nunu.info/
It is capable of seamlessly playing an audiobook from one chapter to the next without the need to download the MP3 files. Note: when you click to play a chapter, there is a long delay before playing as the player is connecting to the LibriVox content hosting server.

Background information: viewtopic.php?t=98180. :)