[SOLO/POETRY] Fine Clothes to the Jew by Langston Hughes - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
darman210

Post by darman210 »

Fine Clothes to the Jew, by Langston Hughes (1901 - 1967)

Volunteers outside the USA: Langston Hughes died in 1967. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Fine Clothes to the Jew is a 1927 poetry collection by Langston Hughes published by Alfred A. Knopf. Because it departed from sentimental depictions of African-American culture, the collection was widely criticized, especially in the Black press, when it was published. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000011912130&view=1up&seq=2

Target completion date: 2023-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Introduction of Fine Clothes to the Jew. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Fine Clothes to the Jew, by Langston Hughes. A Note on Blues."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section [number] of Fine Clothes to the Jew, by Langston Hughes. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. [Poem title]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem." [Optional: "Read by your name."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Fine Clothes to the Jew, by Langston Hughes"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: fineclothestothejew_##_hughes_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. fineclothestothejew_01_hughes_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
darman210

Post by darman210 »

Two questions:

Before I start recording:

1. Do I wait for an "ok" from Librivox first.
2. Does a MC get assigned/assign themselves to the project, or must I seek one out?
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

darman210 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:25 am Two questions:

2. Does a MC get assigned/assign themselves to the project, or must I seek one out?
An MC will drop in and set up the Magic Window when one decides to pick up your project. As long as your text is PD (which I double checked and yours is), you can start recording. Just know you won't be able to upload the recordings to LibriVox until an MC takes on your project.

If you don't have a DPL, you can put a ~ in front of your post's title to indicate that you need one.

Elsie :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
darman210

Post by darman210 »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 4th, 2023, 2:37 am
darman210 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:25 am Two questions:

An MC will drop in and set up the Magic Window when one decides to pick up your project. As long as your text is PD (which I double checked and yours is), you can start recording. Just know you won't be able to upload the recordings to LibriVox until an MC takes on your project.

If you don't have a DPL, you can put a ~ in front of your post's title to indicate that you need one.

Elsie :)
Thank you, Elsie! :)

I'll be sure to add the "~" as you suggested.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hold up on recording just for a bit.

These are all relatively short poems? That being the case, we could probably have you use a shortened intro/outro - one more specific to poetry, that isn't as long as the poem itself. :lol:

I'll MC this. Give me some time to set it up and modify your first post with the intro wording.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

Since Wikipedia isn't public domain, we prefer a book description to either be self-written or taken from a PD source. We can leave this one up for now, but maybe keep in mind and think up a little blurb before you finish off the book. :)

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

I've entered the first three sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Going Solo...
darman210

Post by darman210 »

TriciaG wrote: March 5th, 2023, 7:16 am Moving this to Going Solo...
Thank you!

I’m finishing-up a recording, then I’ll get started right away.
darman210

Post by darman210 »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Be sure to put it in the Magic Window. The URL goes in the "Listen URL" field, and the duration goes in Notes. Then change the last column to "Ready for PL".
darman210

Post by darman210 »

TriciaG wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:47 am
Be sure to put it in the Magic Window. The URL goes in the "Listen URL" field, and the duration goes in Notes. Then change the last column to "Ready for PL".
That is where the "permission" error keeps happening. I can log into the workflow successfully and access the Management dashboard, but whenever I click the "ID" link, the error message appears.

Edit: Nevermind, I found a workaround. Clicking the "BC Admin" link on the forum page allows me to access the Section Compiler.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That ID link is to the database entry of the project. You'd need to click on the icon in the "SC" column. But yes, the "BC Admin" link in the forum thread is the main way to get there, rather than the workaround. ;) Alternately, you can bookmark the page and get in that way.
darman210

Post by darman210 »

Goods to know!

I labeled some of the sections with a *, because they only contain the name of the chapter for Hughes' poems (ex: Blues). I'm not sure if this is something that should be read aloud, omitted, or do something else with entirely. Any ideas?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Omitted.

If you want to indicate in the section titles that it's now the "Railroad Avenue" chapter, I'd put it in the chapter title for the first poem of that section. So (the current) section 2 would be "Blues - Hey!" and section 25 "Glory! Hallelujah! - Judgment Day". It does look a little weird for the ones that have the same chapter name and poem name, though.

Or I suppose you could do
Chapter: "Blues" Poem: "Hey!"?
Chapter: "Beale Street Love" Poem: "Beale Street Love"
But then they'd be the only poem titles with quote marks.

Or the chapter titles could be omitted altogether. :hmm: This might be your best option.

For the record, only admins can delete sections from the MW. (This is to prevent catastrophic errors in deletion.) For now, you could move the chapter titles to the bottom by dragging and dropping the section rows. I'll delete them when we've decided what to do, but I can't see a scenario in which we keep them, since there will be no audio associated with them.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hello - are you still working on this? Please note from the first post:
soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).