Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Claire,
I signed you up for it.
Thank you for claiming!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

alg1001 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:18 pm Hi Claire,
I signed you up for it.
Thank you for claiming!
-Amy
I think you skipped over me! (Mebbee I talk too much, IDK). But I WOULD like to do sections 12 and 13, please.

Thanks,
Brize
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

BrizeCrize wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:06 pm
alg1001 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:18 pm Hi Claire,
I signed you up for it.
Thank you for claiming!
-Amy
I think you skipped over me! (Mebbee I talk too much, IDK). But I WOULD like to do sections 12 and 13, please.

Thanks,
Brize
Sorry! I will blame it on being sleepy when I checked in. 12 and 13 are yours. Thank you for Section 11!
Coatless in a drafty cabin doesn't sound very appealing! Halifax sounds like it was a better choice.
It is interesting how things could be different if our ancestors had done something else. There's no way to know, but it is fun to think about.
Thank you, Brize!
-Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:10 am Section 11, Land of Do Without, enclosed in 31:11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_11_kephart_128kb.mp3
This book has developed in me a genuine affection for these folk! That may be partially because, had my own earliest New World ancestor not disembarked at Halifax, he may have continued on with many of his countrymen into the Appalachians and it would be ME going coat-less in winter and living in a drafty cabin (or more likely, being made fun of for "fussin around like an old granny woman" to chink it cozy tight.). This chapter sorta reminds me of the old Hank Williams song "Everything's Okay"
I think I'll sign up for two sections, 12 and 13, this time, please. I've been looking forward to that 'mountain dialect' section and better put in my claim. (Still can't believe more readers aren't flocking to this title - to read of rugged mountaineers!)
Thank you,
Brize
Another good read, Brize. You do take ownership of this material! :thumbs: :thumbs: - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 12, 'Home Folks and Neighbor People' attached in 27:58:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_12_kephart_128kb.mp3

You may notice that I've tweaked my pronunciation of 'Appalachia'. I happened to watch a TV show the other night featuring a couple of young singers from the Asheville area, and the host was from Eastern Kentucky I think. During between-song chats they ALL pronounced it 'Appl-LASH-eh', and with confidence. Both that and my 'appl-LAY-sheh' are listed as correct in Dictionary dot com, but I feel I should defer to folks who actually live there and love the area and are proud of it. (I'm trying not to stick out as a 'flatlander', despite my 'nawthen' accent and Ohio sign off).

On to 'Mountain Dialects". This is going to be fun!

Thank you,
Brize
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Brize,
Thank you for Section 12!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: March 4th, 2024, 8:47 am Section 12, 'Home Folks and Neighbor People' attached in 27:58:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_12_kephart_128kb.mp3
You may notice that I've tweaked my pronunciation of 'Appalachia'. I happened to watch a TV show the other night featuring a couple of young singers from the Asheville area, and the host was from Eastern Kentucky I think. During between-song chats they ALL pronounced it 'Appl-LASH-eh', and with confidence. Both that and my 'appl-LAY-sheh' are listed as correct in Dictionary dot com, but I feel I should defer to folks who actually live there and love the area and are proud of it. (I'm trying not to stick out as a 'flatlander', despite my 'nawthen' accent and Ohio sign off).
On to 'Mountain Dialects". This is going to be fun!
Thank you,
Brize
Good job, Brize - I loved your singing...! :thumbs: :thumbs: PL Okay - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Enclosed is section 13, The Mountain Dialect, in 45:16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_13_kephart_128kb.mp3

Well, well, well, my eager anticipation of this chapter was NOT disappointed! Fun, fun, fun doing the dialogue and very interesting reading the discussions on the history and origin of many of the unique sayings of this region. One thing I would request of PL Betsy: be a leetle more picky than you would normally be, please, p'tick'larly with the abundance of phonetic spelling of words and phrases in this chapter. I tried my best to recall how the many 'hillbilles' or even flatland southerners I've known might say certain words, but I'm open for other opinions. And I could easily have re-worded a non-standard English phrase without even catching it in my own PL. In fact, I had a last minute change of heart on 'pizen' (poison), changing it to a long 'i', because it dawned on my that's how one of my old buddies from down there would've said it.

I'd like to keep going, with Chapter 14, The Law of the Wilderness, please.

Thank you,
Brize
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Brize,
It sounds like that was a challenging one and long! Thanks so much for it!
I'll sign you up for Section 14.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:23 am Enclosed is section 13, The Mountain Dialect, in 45:16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_13_kephart_128kb.mp3

Well, well, well, my eager anticipation of this chapter was NOT disappointed! Fun, fun, fun doing the dialogue and very interesting reading the discussions on the history and origin of many of the unique sayings of this region. One thing I would request of PL Betsy: be a leetle more picky than you would normally be, please, p'tick'larly with the abundance of phonetic spelling of words and phrases in this chapter. I tried my best to recall how the many 'hillbilles' or even flatland southerners I've known might say certain words, but I'm open for other opinions. And I could easily have re-worded a non-standard English phrase without even catching it in my own PL. In fact, I had a last minute change of heart on 'pizen' (poison), changing it to a long 'i', because it dawned on my that's how one of my old buddies from down there would've said it.

I'd like to keep going, with Chapter 14, The Law of the Wilderness, please.

Thank you,
Brize
W-O-W truly W-O-W!! Awesome job, Brize. :clap: :clap: :clap: Really, as I read and listened along, I thought your interpretation of these sounds and accents was fine. I am so impressed at this work, truly!

Ironically, my only comment was actually about the pronunciation of "autres" in "nous autres" at 17:51. If you click the small speaker on the left side of the page at this link, you can hear it correctly:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=fr&tl=en&text=nous%20autres&op=translate

Bravo, Brize !! Betsy :thumbs: :thumbs:
Betsy in Santa Fe
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Cbteddy wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:45 pm Hello! Here is section 8 (26:32).

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_08_kephart_128kb.mp3
Hi Claire,
Thank you for Sectioin 8!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Cbteddy wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:45 pm Hello! Here is section 8 (26:32).
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_08_kephart_128kb.mp3
Hi Claire -

Another of your really good readings. My only comment is that at the closing, you called it "section 6" instead of "section 8". That's all!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

BetsyWalker wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:26 pm Ironically, my only comment was actually about the pronunciation of "autres" in "nous autres" at 17:51. If you click the small speaker on the left side of the page at this link, you can hear it correctly:

Well, thanks for the encouraging words, Betsy, that's what keeps us going! And thanks for the closer PL It figures I would mess up the French again, I seem to have trouble with their sounds and rules of pronunciation (they're like New Englanders on that word - no 'r' sound at all!). I also tweaked my Italian and Spanish word immediately following...including an attempt at a trill in 'nosotros' (see if you can hear it - that's another thing my mouth just won't do)

Thank you,
Brize
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: March 11th, 2024, 6:21 am
BetsyWalker wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:26 pm Ironically, my only comment was actually about the pronunciation of "autres" in "nous autres" at 17:51. If you click the small speaker on the left side of the page at this link, you can hear it correctly:
Well, thanks for the encouraging words, Betsy, that's what keeps us going! And thanks for the closer PL It figures I would mess up the French again, I seem to have trouble with their sounds and rules of pronunciation (they're like New Englanders on that word - no 'r' sound at all!). I also tweaked my Italian and Spanish word immediately following...including an attempt at a trill in 'nosotros' (see if you can hear it - that's another thing my mouth just won't do)
Thank you,
Brize
I really thought you did an admirable job on all the other languages. I actually speak some French, so that's why it's so likely I'll zero in on that. With "autres" you pronounced the "au" sound like "ott" in "otter". It should just be a straight "ote" sound like in "note".

I know this chapter was a LOT of work!!!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe