Complete [Memoir] Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MeredithWomacCook

Post by MeredithWomacCook »

Our Southern Highlanders, by Horace Kephart (1862 - 1931)

This is an abandoned Solo. Please help finish it.
Our Southern Highlanders is a memoir of the Pennsylvania-born writer and librarian Horace Kephart, documenting his experiences and cultural observations during his time living in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. (Summary by Meredith Womac Cook) Please note that due to the time period and setting, it contains some offensive language and overt racism.
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/our-southern-highlanders-by-horace-kephart/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31709

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Keywords that describe the book: travel memoir, Appalachian Mountains, Great Smoky Mountains

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

*Please Note: The Shortened script will be used to be consistent with the portion completed by the soloist.*

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Our Southern Highlanders, by Horace Kephart. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Our Southern Highlanders, by Horace Kephart."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: oursouthernhighlanders_##_kephart_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. oursouthernhighlanders_01_kephart_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Meredith Womac Cook
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Meredith,
I'll MC this for you. I sent you a private message with information on how to be a soloist and how to access and use the Magic Window.
If you need anything, let me know.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

alg1001 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 4:17 pm Hi Meredith,
I'll MC this for you. I sent you a private message with information on how to be a soloist and how to access and use the Magic Window.
If you need anything, let me know.
Thanks!
-Amy
Hi !

I'd be interested to DPL this when the uploads begin. I don't see anyone noted in the MW, so am assuming you still need someone?

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
MeredithWomacCook

BetsyWalker wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:19 am Hi !

I'd be interested to DPL this when the uploads begin. I don't see anyone noted in the MW, so am assuming you still need someone?

Betsy
That's fantastic, thanks! Nope, I don't have anyone yet so I'd be thrilled with a DPL. I am still learning the ropes, as this is is my first solo project, so please bear with me while I read all the instructions and get started.😁
Meredith Womac Cook
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

MeredithWomacCook wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 10:16 am
That's fantastic, thanks! Nope, I don't have anyone yet so I'd be thrilled with a DPL. I am still learning the ropes, as this is is my first solo project, so please bear with me while I read all the instructions and get started.😁
:thumbs: :thumbs: I'm sure there's a lot to learn. Uploading the recordings and managing the MW. I'll just check back each day to see if there's a note for me or if there's something for me to PL. It's fun!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I'll add Betsy as DPL and move you to Going Solo. :D
Your magic window looks great!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
MeredithWomacCook

Just a quick check-in that I have not forgotten about this project!! I've been a bit busy and while recording the first section I realized I need to improve some things about my recording area. So I'm getting a slow start but hope to re-record and upload the first section soon.🤞
Meredith Womac Cook
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Meredith,
That sounds good.
Happy Monday!
-Amy :thumbs:
MeredithWomacCook

Quick monthly update that I am still working on section one. Apologies for my slowness.
Meredith Womac Cook
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks for the update, Meredith! Have fun with it.
MeredithWomacCook

Here is my recording of Chapter 1, finally! The time is 21:32.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_01_kephart_128kb.mp3

Betsy -- while you are PLing for me, please note that I am a newbie at this and I gratefully welcome any and all feedback for improvement! Feel free to nitpick.:D One of my common challenges is getting the empty spaces just the right length, between sentences and paragraphs -- usually I leave too much space. So let me know if there are any that don't feel quite right to you. Also, I am trying to keep my pronunciation of "Appalachia" consistent, with a short "A" sound in the third syllable. I might have oopsed this a time or two with an accidental long A in that syllable, because that's how I pronounced it as a child. (I grew up in the Great Smoky Mountains, but now live in the northeastern USA near where Kephart was from -- so I'm especially enjoying this project!) But I've done some research and I believe the majority of people would say "Appalachia" with the short-A, so that's what I'm committing to.

Thanks so much, Betsy and Amy!
Meredith Womac Cook
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

MeredithWomacCook wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 12:56 pm Here is my recording of Chapter 1, finally! The time is 21:32.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_01_kephart_128kb.mp3
Betsy -- while you are PLing for me, please note that I am a newbie at this and I gratefully welcome any and all feedback for improvement! Feel free to nitpick.:D One of my common challenges is getting the empty spaces just the right length, between sentences and paragraphs -- usually I leave too much space. So let me know if there are any that don't feel quite right to you. Also, I am trying to keep my pronunciation of "Appalachia" consistent, with a short "A" sound in the third syllable. I might have oopsed this a time or two with an accidental long A in that syllable, because that's how I pronounced it as a child. (I grew up in the Great Smoky Mountains, but now live in the northeastern USA near where Kephart was from -- so I'm especially enjoying this project!) But I've done some research and I believe the majority of people would say "Appalachia" with the short-A, so that's what I'm committing to.
Thanks so much, Betsy and Amy!
Hi -

Meredith - I'll be happy to help and point things out. I normally only post PL notes if there is something that would make the listener not grasp what is being read. That's per the LV DPL instructions. Differences in diction and accents are normally left alone. But I'll give you a little stronger feedback - at least at first. I'm looking forward to this!

Amy - I do need this recording placed into the MW before I can post an assessment. Thanks!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Meredith,

Please put your file in the Magic Window's Listen URL spot and use the Status dropdown next to it to mark it Ready for PL. It works well for keeping track of when a file is ready to be prooflistened or is complete.
Thanks!
-Amy
MeredithWomacCook

Whoops! I'll do that later today. Thanks so much for reminding me!
Meredith Womac Cook
MeredithWomacCook

Okay I believe I have updated the Magic Window appropriately... Amy, would you be so kind as to double check whether I did it right? I was a little unclear about where to put the file duration, but when I clicked the area under the "meta" column I saw a place there to put it. So hopefully that it all showing up appropriately for Betsy now.

Thanks for your patience, both of you! I'll get the hang of it soon.
Meredith Womac Cook