[FICTION] The Dark Star by Robert W. Chambers -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

I will adopt chapters 29, 30 and 31
Michelle (Sammartino) Zeto
Jammin' Jazz- Jazz For The New Generation

Friday nights 10pm-Midnight CST
Chicago's Home for Jazz & Blues
WDCB 90.9FM
http://WDCB.org

Tuesday nights 9pm-11pm CST
Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
Http://www.Jazz88.fm
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JamminJazz wrote: May 7th, 2024, 6:48 am I will adopt chapters 29, 30 and 31
They're all yours! Thank you for claiming!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

Scarbo wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:08 pm
JamminJazz wrote: May 7th, 2024, 6:48 am I will adopt chapters 29, 30 and 31
They're all yours! Thank you for claiming!
Can you tell me how other readers are pronouncing Naïa so I can stay consistent? I am thinking it is Nigh-ah but want to make sure. Nigh-ee-ah?

WDCB 90.9FM

Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JamminJazz wrote: May 8th, 2024, 11:15 am Can you tell me how other readers are pronouncing Naïa so I can stay consistent? I am thinking it is Nigh-ah but want to make sure. Nigh-ee-ah?
I'm hearing Nigh-ah most of the time. Thanks for checking about that!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

Scarbo wrote: May 8th, 2024, 3:17 pm
JamminJazz wrote: May 8th, 2024, 11:15 am Can you tell me how other readers are pronouncing Naïa so I can stay consistent? I am thinking it is Nigh-ah but want to make sure. Nigh-ee-ah?
I'm hearing Nigh-ah most of the time. Thanks for checking about that!
Ok wow… I just attempted chapter 29 and I am blown away at how many words I cannot for the life of me pronounce, or find pronunciation for! I feel it is ruining the flow of the read as I cannot seem to get a good pace as it’s almost every sentence! Is anyone else having such troubles? It is very discouraging…. There is a poem/song in this chapter that is a perfect example. I will keep trying but I almost feel it is hampering my read to constantly stop, re-record, stop, re-record and I am worried for the finished chapter, I want it to sound good. I wish I could listen to previous chapters to see how others have dealt with this.

WDCB 90.9FM

Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JamminJazz wrote: May 9th, 2024, 12:45 pm Ok wow… I just attempted chapter 29 and I am blown away at how many words I cannot for the life of me pronounce, or find pronunciation for! I feel it is ruining the flow of the read as I cannot seem to get a good pace as it’s almost every sentence! Is anyone else having such troubles? It is very discouraging…. There is a poem/song in this chapter that is a perfect example. I will keep trying but I almost feel it is hampering my read to constantly stop, re-record, stop, re-record and I am worried for the finished chapter, I want it to sound good. I wish I could listen to previous chapters to see how others have dealt with this.
I didn't record for this project, but for what it's worth, my recording process is pretty disjointed (I trip over my words a lot :lol: ). I think that after you've edited, you'll find that the finished product flows better than you might think while you're recording. You might find the "punch and roll" recording method worth investigating. I don't use it myself, but there are readers who find it works really well for them.

Wow, I see what you mean about that song! Generally, I would say that if you run into a word like "Baïaghod" that's pretty obscure and doesn't show up elsewhere in the text, I'm not too worried about whether the pronunciation is exact. Feel free to ask me about anything you have a question about. I'm happy to help!

Sarah
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

Scarbo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 3:04 pm
JamminJazz wrote: May 9th, 2024, 12:45 pm Ok wow… I just attempted chapter 29 and I am blown away at how many words I cannot for the life of me pronounce, or find pronunciation for! I feel it is ruining the flow of the read as I cannot seem to get a good pace as it’s almost every sentence! Is anyone else having such troubles? It is very discouraging…. There is a poem/song in this chapter that is a perfect example. I will keep trying but I almost feel it is hampering my read to constantly stop, re-record, stop, re-record and I am worried for the finished chapter, I want it to sound good. I wish I could listen to previous chapters to see how others have dealt with this.
I didn't record for this project, but for what it's worth, my recording process is pretty disjointed (I trip over my words a lot :lol: ). I think that after you've edited, you'll find that the finished product flows better than you might think while you're recording. You might find the "punch and roll" recording method worth investigating. I don't use it myself, but there are readers who find it works really well for them.

Wow, I see what you mean about that song! Generally, I would say that if you run into a word like "Baïaghod" that's pretty obscure and doesn't show up elsewhere in the text, I'm not too worried about whether the pronunciation is exact. Feel free to ask me about anything you have a question about. I'm happy to help!
Thank you! And thanks so much for your validation about that song!!! Haha! I am not giving up!

WDCB 90.9FM

Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

JamminJazz wrote: May 9th, 2024, 3:43 pm
Scarbo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thank you! And thanks so much for your validation about that song!!! Haha! I am not giving up!

Ok fingers crossed... here is Chapter 29 at 19:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_29_chambers_128kb.mp3

WDCB 90.9FM

Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JamminJazz wrote: May 14th, 2024, 11:25 am Ok fingers crossed... here is Chapter 29 at 19:22

Thank you for chapter 29! I enjoyed your expressive reading style, and you did a great job with all those unusual terms that Chambers throws out there in this chapter! :lol: I have just a few PL notes:

- At 1:11, "with the reverent and slightly exaggerated appreciation of a connoisseur in sculpture," I hear "with the irreverent and slightly exaggerated appreciation of a connoisseur in sculpture"
- At 2:10, "I haven’t yet recovered my breath," I hear "I have yet recovered my breath"
- At 8:14, "Rue tuned to Neeland" appears to be a typo. Would you mind recording it as "Rue turned to Neeland"?

Sarah
JamminJazz

Post by JamminJazz »

Scarbo wrote: May 14th, 2024, 4:38 pm
JamminJazz wrote: May 14th, 2024, 11:25 am Ok fingers crossed... here is Chapter 29 at 19:22

Thank you for chapter 29! I enjoyed your expressive reading style, and you did a great job with all those unusual terms that Chambers throws out there in this chapter! :lol: I have just a few PL notes:

- At 1:11, "with the reverent and slightly exaggerated appreciation of a connoisseur in sculpture," I hear "with the irreverent and slightly exaggerated appreciation of a connoisseur in sculpture"
- At 2:10, "I haven’t yet recovered my breath," I hear "I have yet recovered my breath"
- At 8:14, "Rue tuned to Neeland" appears to be a typo. Would you mind recording it as "Rue turned to Neeland"?

Whew I am happy you didn't mention my horrible "singing" hahaha! Here is the fixed file for you:

WDCB 90.9FM

Minneapolis’ KBEM Jazz88
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JamminJazz wrote: May 15th, 2024, 6:38 am Whew I am happy you didn't mention my horrible "singing" hahaha! Here is the fixed file for you:

PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah