[FICTION] The Dark Star by Robert W. Chambers -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 32 (25:11). I'm so intrigued by everything that happens just in this chapter! Can't wait to listen once the whole book is published :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_32_chambers_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: February 19th, 2024, 9:33 am Hello! Here is section 32 (25:11). I'm so intrigued by everything that happens just in this chapter! Can't wait to listen once the whole book is published :)

Thank you for chapter 32! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your expressive reading style. I have just a few PL notes:

- At 1:02, "Mussoor Weishelm," could you pronounce "Weishelm" as "Wise-helm"? That will help his name be recognizable since he appears in other chapters.
- At 1:04, "They exchanged very serious bows with 'Mussoor' Weishelm," there's another instance of "Weishelm"
- And at 1:09, "In excellent French Weishelm inquired whether they desired supper"
- At 2:28, "At a small table he recognised Brandes and Stull playing what appeared to be bridge whist," you say "At a small table he recognised Brandes and Stull playing what appeared to be bridge, whilst"
- At 9:25, "'You might have told me about it,' he added to Ilse with smiling reproach," I hear "'You might have told me about it,' he adds to Ilse with smiling reproach"
- At 12:48, “Golden Beard and Ali Baba and the whole Arabian Nights!” I hear “Golden Bear and Ali Baba and the whole Arabian Nights!”
- At 19:21, "Do you mean Weishelm?" could you pronounce the name "Wise-helm"?
- At 21:11 is another instance of "Weishelm" at "And Kestner and Weishelm and Breslau and I––"
- At 24:44 is another with "Then, in the garret doorway, Weishelm appeared"

This book is quite a ride! I hope you enjoy it when it's cataloged. :)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Scarbo wrote: December 31st, 2023, 8:49 am
stormyweather wrote: December 31st, 2023, 8:17 am Hello! I hope everyone had good holidays.

May I take Chapter 33?
Certainly, thank you for claiming! And happy holidays!
Hi Sarah, I need to request an extension. I don't know what happened with Audactity, it might have been something I did, it may have been because it crashed on me again more than once upon opening (and right after I did an update of my OS and the app). I basically need to restart from scratch.

I know we're in the home stretch. Ideally, I can have it done in 2-3 weeks.

Kate
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: February 24th, 2024, 11:53 am Hi Sarah, I need to request an extension. I don't know what happened with Audactity, it might have been something I did, it may have been because it crashed on me again more than once upon opening (and right after I did an update of my OS and the app). I basically need to restart from scratch.

Kate
Yikes, sorry you're having to record all over again! I'm happy to give you an extension.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Scarbo wrote: February 20th, 2024, 4:44 pm
Cbteddy wrote: February 19th, 2024, 9:33 am Hello! Here is section 32 (25:11). I'm so intrigued by everything that happens just in this chapter! Can't wait to listen once the whole book is published :)

Thank you for chapter 32! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your expressive reading style. I have just a few PL notes:

- At 1:02, "Mussoor Weishelm," could you pronounce "Weishelm" as "Wise-helm"? That will help his name be recognizable since he appears in other chapters.
- At 1:04, "They exchanged very serious bows with 'Mussoor' Weishelm," there's another instance of "Weishelm"
- And at 1:09, "In excellent French Weishelm inquired whether they desired supper"
- At 2:28, "At a small table he recognised Brandes and Stull playing what appeared to be bridge whist," you say "At a small table he recognised Brandes and Stull playing what appeared to be bridge, whilst"
- At 9:25, "'You might have told me about it,' he added to Ilse with smiling reproach," I hear "'You might have told me about it,' he adds to Ilse with smiling reproach"
- At 12:48, “Golden Beard and Ali Baba and the whole Arabian Nights!” I hear “Golden Bear and Ali Baba and the whole Arabian Nights!”
- At 19:21, "Do you mean Weishelm?" could you pronounce the name "Wise-helm"?
- At 21:11 is another instance of "Weishelm" at "And Kestner and Weishelm and Breslau and I––"
- At 24:44 is another with "Then, in the garret doorway, Weishelm appeared"

This book is quite a ride! I hope you enjoy it when it's cataloged. :)
Thanks so much for the feedback! I believe I've addressed all points, and new run time is now 25:09.

Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 8:34 am Thanks so much for the feedback! I believe I've addressed all points, and new run time is now 25:09.

Thank you! There's just one quick edit to make and then you'll be all set: at 1:07, after "They exchanged very serious bows with 'Mussoor' Weishelm," could you include the line "and Curfoot retired"?

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Scarbo wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 3:22 pm
Cbteddy wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 8:34 am Thanks so much for the feedback! I believe I've addressed all points, and new run time is now 25:09.

Thank you! There's just one quick edit to make and then you'll be all set: at 1:07, after "They exchanged very serious bows with 'Mussoor' Weishelm," could you include the line "and Curfoot retired"?
Hi Scarbo! Apologies for the delay. I have added back in the portion I accidentally cut out at 1:07. Run time is one second longer at 25:10.

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:26 am Hi Scarbo! Apologies for the delay. I have added back in the portion I accidentally cut out at 1:07. Run time is one second longer at 25:10.

PL OK! Thank you! And no apology needed, it didn't take long at all. :)

Sarah
barrymister

Post by barrymister »

Hello, I would like to read chapter 6 and 10 if still available.

Thank you.
Barry Mister
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

barrymister wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:39 pm Hello, I would like to read chapter 6 and 10 if still available.

Thank you.
They're all yours! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Scarbo wrote: February 24th, 2024, 12:20 pm
stormyweather wrote: February 24th, 2024, 11:53 am Hi Sarah, I need to request an extension. I don't know what happened with Audactity, it might have been something I did, it may have been because it crashed on me again more than once upon opening (and right after I did an update of my OS and the app). I basically need to restart from scratch.

Kate
Yikes, sorry you're having to record all over again! I'm happy to give you an extension.
Here's 33, thank you for your patience. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_33_chambers_128kb.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: April 21st, 2024, 1:46 pm Here's 33, thank you for your patience. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_33_chambers_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 33! I always enjoy your expressive readings. I have just a few notes:

- At 2:15, "began to retreat from the foot of the garret stairs with Ali Baba following," you say "began to retreat from the floor of the garret stairs with Ali Baba following"
- At 20:34, after "...were being attacked and wrecked," could you include the line "A mounted inspector forced his horse along the swarming sidewalk, crying:"?

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Scarbo wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:16 pm
stormyweather wrote: April 21st, 2024, 1:46 pm Here's 33, thank you for your patience. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_33_chambers_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 33! I always enjoy your expressive readings. I have just a few notes:

- At 2:15, "began to retreat from the foot of the garret stairs with Ali Baba following," you say "began to retreat from the floor of the garret stairs with Ali Baba following"
- At 20:34, after "...were being attacked and wrecked," could you include the line "A mounted inspector forced his horse along the swarming sidewalk, crying:"?
Got it. Will get on that this weekend.