[FICTION] The Dark Star by Robert W. Chambers -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JohnLeloup wrote: January 10th, 2024, 6:41 pm Here is chapter 12, A Lifeline of The Dark Star.
File Time:21:38

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_12chambers_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 12! It's very nicely done, and Princess Mistchenka's accent is a nice touch. I have just a few PL notes:

- At 10:32, "or that her mind was fixed at all on what he was saying," you say "or that her mind was fixed on all that he was saying"
- At 15:36, "what a history of woe you are telling me," I don't quite hear all of "history"
- In the filename, could you add an underscore after the "12" so that it's darkstar_12_chambers_128kb.mp3?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

Here are the requested corrections.
If there is anything else to be done please let me know.
JL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_12_chambers_128kb.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JohnLeloup wrote: January 12th, 2024, 7:57 am Here are the requested corrections.
If there is anything else to be done please let me know.
JL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_12_chambers_128kb.mp3
PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
ab490

Post by ab490 »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ab490 wrote: January 20th, 2024, 12:58 am Here is Chapter 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_13_chambers_128kb.mp3
Duration: 34:49
Thank you for chapter 13! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your expressive reading style. Here are my PL notes:

- At 1:24, "and as though it were another girl sitting here writing to you," I hear "and as though it were a little girl sitting here writing to you"
- At 1:35, "Girls dream many foolish things about the future," you say "Girl dreams many foolish things about the future"
- At 6:57, "enclosing a tremulous line from Rue," I hear "enclosing a tremelious line from Rue"
- At 8:02, "the international lawyers whom I have put into communication with Judge Gary through the New York representatives of the firm," you say "the international lawyers whom I have kept into communication with Judge Gary through the New York representatives of the firm"
- At 10:48, after "in which you have forgotten me," could you include the line "Among other things I have been busy growing"?
- At 11:36, "Also, it is very trying, mon ami," you say "Also, it is very tiring, mon ami"
- At 11:57, "Which is wonderful for him," you say "It is wonderful for him"
- At 14:44, "we have been to the Louvre," I hear "we have been to the Lower"
- At 16:35, "and they all are most beautifully gowned," you say "and they all are mostly beautifully gowned"
- At 24:40, "One hears a great deal about the embassies here being hotbeds of political intrigue," I hear "One hears a great deal about the embassies here being hotheads of political intrigue"
- At 27:07, "already being moulded by discipline mondaine," I hear "already being moduled by discipline mondaine"
- At 30:34, "may I now invoke in you the memory of our very frank and delightful friendship," you say "may I now invoke you the memory of our very frank and delightful friendship"
- At 32:30, "and I shall arrange matters through a New York bank," I hear "and I shall arrange matters through your New York bank"
- At 32:49, "Let nobody see it open," you say "Let nobody see it"
- At 33:01, "what powers of evil they might encourage if in any way they fall into other hands than the right ones," I hear "what powers of evil they might encourage in any way they fall into other hands than the right ones"

Sarah
teesaloveless

Post by teesaloveless »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

teesaloveless wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:10 pm Here is chapter 15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_15_chambers_128kb.mp3

30:41
Thank you for chapter 15! This is a very nicely done first recording, and I enjoyed the drama you put into Ilse and Jim's dialogue. I have just a few PL notes:

- Could you shorten the silence at the beginning to between 0.5 and 1 second(s)?
- At 9:57, could you edit out one of the repeats of "There was a glass lamp on the table. He managed to light it finally; turned off his flash light"?
- At 16:29, "I think by this time you realise I can do it, too," you say "I think by now this time you realise I can do it, too"
- At 26:41, "James Neeland," you say "Neeland James"
- At 28:19, "she laid one hand lightly on his arm," you say "she said, one hand lightly on his arm"
- At the end, could you add a little more silence so that there's about 5 seconds of silence?

I also wanted to mention that I'm hearing plosive sounds from time to time, but this isn't anything you'd need to change for this recording, just something to be aware of for future recordings. Here are some tips for addressing plosives. Let me know if you have questions about anything!

Sarah
teesaloveless

Post by teesaloveless »

Thank you for your notes! This was super fun! Sorry it's so last minute. I've been getting over a cold.

Attached are the requested corrections. Please let me know if there are further edits needed.

-Teesa
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Teesa! I ran out of time to spot-PL chapter 15 today, but I will tomorrow for sure!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

teesaloveless wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 8:00 pm Thank you for your notes! This was super fun! Sorry it's so last minute. I've been getting over a cold.

Attached are the requested corrections. Please let me know if there are further edits needed.

-Teesa
PL OK! Thank you! And no worries, I've also had to postpone recording before because of my voice being affected by an illness. I see that the deadline for your claim on chapter 28 is coming up, so I'll be happy to give you an extension since you've been under the weather.

Sarah
teesaloveless

Post by teesaloveless »

Thank you! I will gladly take an extension. I have chapter 28 recorded, I just need to review it and make the NECESSARY edits.
ab490

Post by ab490 »

Scarbo wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:47 pm
ab490 wrote: January 20th, 2024, 12:58 am Here is Chapter 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_13_chambers_128kb.mp3
Duration: 34:49
Thank you for chapter 13! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your expressive reading style. Here are my PL notes:

- At 1:24, "and as though it were another girl sitting here writing to you," I hear "and as though it were a little girl sitting here writing to you"
- At 1:35, "Girls dream many foolish things about the future," you say "Girl dreams many foolish things about the future"
- At 6:57, "enclosing a tremulous line from Rue," I hear "enclosing a tremelious line from Rue"
- At 8:02, "the international lawyers whom I have put into communication with Judge Gary through the New York representatives of the firm," you say "the international lawyers whom I have kept into communication with Judge Gary through the New York representatives of the firm"
- At 10:48, after "in which you have forgotten me," could you include the line "Among other things I have been busy growing"?
- At 11:36, "Also, it is very trying, mon ami," you say "Also, it is very tiring, mon ami"
- At 11:57, "Which is wonderful for him," you say "It is wonderful for him"
- At 14:44, "we have been to the Louvre," I hear "we have been to the Lower"
- At 16:35, "and they all are most beautifully gowned," you say "and they all are mostly beautifully gowned"
- At 24:40, "One hears a great deal about the embassies here being hotbeds of political intrigue," I hear "One hears a great deal about the embassies here being hotheads of political intrigue"
- At 27:07, "already being moulded by discipline mondaine," I hear "already being moduled by discipline mondaine"
- At 30:34, "may I now invoke in you the memory of our very frank and delightful friendship," you say "may I now invoke you the memory of our very frank and delightful friendship"
- At 32:30, "and I shall arrange matters through a New York bank," I hear "and I shall arrange matters through your New York bank"
- At 32:49, "Let nobody see it open," you say "Let nobody see it"
- At 33:01, "what powers of evil they might encourage if in any way they fall into other hands than the right ones," I hear "what powers of evil they might encourage in any way they fall into other hands than the right ones"
Thank you for the detailed notes!

Here is the corrected version of Chapter 13:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_13_chambers_128kb.mp3

Duration: 34:54

Please let me know in case any other changes are required
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ab490 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 9:40 pm Thank you for the detailed notes!

Here is the corrected version of Chapter 13:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_13_chambers_128kb.mp3

Duration: 34:54

Please let me know in case any other changes are required
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 32?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: February 17th, 2024, 3:37 am May I have section 32?
Certainly! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah