[COMPLETE] Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1, by Otto von Bismarck-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alister

Post by Alister »

Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1, by Otto von Bismarck (1815 - 1898), translated by Edmund von Mach (1870 - 1927)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/speeches-of-prince-bismarck-part-1-by-otto-von-bismarck/
A collection of Bismarck’s speeches translated by art historian Edmund von Mach and published in 1914 as part of THE GERMAN CLASSICS—an extensive twenty-volume collection of translated German literature which, per George Viereck in a 1915 article published in THE FATHERLAND, included 487 works from ninety-two personages.

“Bismarck did not write out his speeches” according to v. Mach and “published accounts are copied from official stenographic reports.” The obvious exception here is the ‘Speech from the Throne’ which was written by Bismarck on behalf of Wilhelm I who delivered it in response to the French declaration of war in 1870. The names here attributed to them are drawn from the content and phrasing of the speeches themselves.

In this part are the speeches Professorial Politics (1863), Speech from the Throne (1870), Alsace–Lorraine a Glacis Against France (1871), We Shall Never Go to Canossa! (1872) and Bismarck as the “Honest Broker” (1878).
(Summary by Alister)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/germanclassicsma10franiala/page/174/mode/2up?view=theater

Target completion date: 2023-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: turkey, türkiye, france, russia, germany, dardanelles, ottoman empire, franco-prussian war, napoleon iii, pius ix, alsace, russo-turkish war, bismarck, iron chancellor, wilhelm i, north german federation, alsace-lorraine, lorraine, bosphorus, black sea

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1, by Otto von Bismarck, translated by Edmund von Mach. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1, by Otto von Bismarck, translated by Edmund von Mach. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1, by Otto von Bismarck, translated by Edmund von Mach."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: speeches1_##_bismarck_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. speeches1_01_bismarck_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Alister on February 24th, 2023, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi Alister. I'll set this up for you. Back in a moment!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you should be all set. I shortened the suggested file name, as the automated one was a bit unwieldy. If you need a DPL still, you can edit your first post and add a tilde (~) to the subject line. That will let potential DPLs know that you are looking.

Let me know once you've got your MW filled in and you're ready for Going Solo!
Alister

Post by Alister »

All good! Thanks and thanks for the tip! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And here we are in Going Solo. If we don't pick up a DPL in a timely manner, you can always advertise in Listeners Wanted. :)
Alister

Post by Alister »

Alister

Post by Alister »

tac107

Post by tac107 »

I would love to be the DPL if you'd have me!
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
Alister

Post by Alister »

tac107 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:51 pm I would love to be the DPL if you'd have me!
Hi tac107!

Sure, I would be happy to have you. Hopefully, me and Ol' Bismarck don't disappoint your expectations :D

Supposedly Von Bismarck, had quite a monotonous, halting delivery - which kind of puts me in mind of the way Henry Kissinger speaks. The only extant recording of his voice is short and of such poor fidelity that it isn't much help (look it up on YouTube if interested). I'd also hesitate to think it is representative of how he usually speaks - any more than old-time studio photography is representative of how people usually dressed or emoted. So I haven't tried too hard to match his voice or anything.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
mightyfelix wrote: February 5th, 2023, 8:13 pm And here we are in Going Solo. If we don't pick up a DPL in a timely manner, you can always advertise in Listeners Wanted. :)
Yoo-hoo, mightyfelix?

Can I get you to delete my thread in listeners wanted?

:)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Done, and done!
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Alister wrote: February 6th, 2023, 5:04 am Section 1: Professorial Politics

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/speeches1_01_bismarck_128kb.mp3 (5:26)
Right around 4:30 the words "in this concrete case" are missing from the sentence beginning "he has announced".

Right around 5:10 there is a sudden jump in the volume that you may like there or may want to edit to make it more even.

Great reading :D
If she's got the time

Tatiana
Alister

Post by Alister »

tac107 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:44 pm
Alister wrote: February 6th, 2023, 5:04 am Section 1: Professorial Politics

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/speeches1_01_bismarck_128kb.mp3 (5:26)
Right around 4:30 the words "in this concrete case" are missing from the sentence beginning "he has announced".

Right around 5:10 there is a sudden jump in the volume that you may like there or may want to edit to make it more even.

Great reading :D
Thanks ;)

Nice Catch. New length 5:28.

I shaved off a decibel or two as well from the end.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Section 4: WE SHALL NEVER GO TO CANOSSA!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/speeches1_04_bismarck_128kb.mp3 (12:54)
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Alister wrote: February 26th, 2023, 12:32 am Section 4: WE SHALL NEVER GO TO CANOSSA!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/speeches1_04_bismarck_128kb.mp3 (12:54)
PL OK!
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Alister wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:57 pm Section 5: Honest Broker

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/speeches1_05_bismarck_128kb.mp3 (36:41)
Great reading! I LOVE how you added paper flipping noise around 32 minutes when he said "I have here another article." Just one thing - for the last section you still want to say "end of section 5" or whatever before "End of Speeches of Prince Bismarck, Part 1." Otherwise perfect.
If she's got the time

Tatiana