COMPLETE: The Best Short Stories of 1917 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

brownrottger wrote: October 4th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Thanks so much! Section 4 is PL ok. Just one more story Section 29 None So Blind.
Best,
Christine

Yes! I'm over halfway done with recording, I hope to submit by Sunday.

I'm hurrying :thumbs:
~Christine~

Remember: "Even a glow stick had to break to shine."
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

WinterMoon wrote: October 4th, 2023, 7:47 pm
brownrottger wrote: October 4th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Thanks so much! Section 4 is PL ok. Just one more story Section 29 None So Blind.
Best,
Christine

Yes! I'm over halfway done with recording, I hope to submit by Sunday.

I'm hurrying :thumbs:
No worries! :clap: :D
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

Hey friends,

I wanted to ask a couple questions before I did final edits and submitted the last section.

For the life of me I can't seem to get my mic settings or edits on certain things down. Some readings are better than others, and the sound quality varies, but I'm currently struggling with:

1. My voice sounding "far away" from the mic. HOWEVER...

2. The "S" sounds are extremely sharp even though I'm not directly centered nor facing the mic.

3. I ALWAYS use compressor on my edits and while that helps other potential issues, it doesn't seem to help these above :help:

I'd love any thoughts or recommendations, so that I can submit the best version of recordings that I can with the resources I have available. :thumbs:

thanks everyone!
~Christine~

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

WinterMoon wrote: October 10th, 2023, 2:15 pm Hey friends,

I wanted to ask a couple questions before I did final edits and submitted the last section.

For the life of me I can't seem to get my mic settings or edits on certain things down. Some readings are better than others, and the sound quality varies, but I'm currently struggling with:

2. The "S" sounds are extremely sharp even though I'm not directly centered nor facing the mic.

3. I ALWAYS use compressor on my edits and while that helps other potential issues, it doesn't seem to help these above :help:

I'd love any thoughts or recommendations, so that I can submit the best version of recordings that I can with the resources I have available. :thumbs:

thanks everyone!
YouTube on removing sibilants without plug in. I haven't tried this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZQpNFFPWM&ab_channel=BudgetRecording
I do believe there is an Audacity plug in as well.
Variability in volume: try not to move at all while recording (you've probably already done that) I use Loudness Normalization at the end set to -20. I try not to use compressor (personal preference from a person who is not very tech savvy)
Hope this helps,
Christine
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

brownrottger wrote: October 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm
WinterMoon wrote: October 10th, 2023, 2:15 pm Hey friends,

thanks everyone!
YouTube on removing sibilants without plug in. I haven't tried this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZQpNFFPWM&ab_channel=BudgetRecording
I do believe there is an Audacity plug in as well.
Variability in volume: try not to move at all while recording (you've probably already done that) I use Loudness Normalization at the end set to -20. I try not to use compressor (personal preference from a person who is not very tech savvy)
Hope this helps,
Christine

Awesome I'll try these out thanks Christine!
~Christine~

WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

I'm going through editing the sibilants from the youtube video link you sent and I hope to have this up tomorrow night. Sorry again for the delay. This one just came out worse than the others and I have no idea why! :roll: :lol:
~Christine~

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

WinterMoon wrote: October 15th, 2023, 12:52 pm I'm going through editing the sibilants from the youtube video link you sent and I hope to have this up tomorrow night. Sorry again for the delay. This one just came out worse than the others and I have no idea why! :roll: :lol:
No worries whatsoever. I am glad you are benefitting and learning from that. I will have to try it next time I have that problem, which I do frequently as well.
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

Here goes nothing! :lol:

Sadly, that youtube video he never ended up saying how to effectively save the files and what we are supposed to do with the sibilants tracks.

So I hope this is acceptable.

Just let me know!

FOR PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bestshortstories1917_29_various_128kb.mp3

:clap:
~Christine~

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

WinterMoon wrote: October 17th, 2023, 1:48 pm Here goes nothing! :lol:

Sadly, that youtube video he never ended up saying how to effectively save the files and what we are supposed to do with the sibilants tracks.

Just let me know!

FOR PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bestshortstories1917_29_various_128kb.mp3

Great job Christine. Section 29 is PL ok. Thanks for all your help in this book. Hope to work with you again soon!
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

brownrottger wrote: October 18th, 2023, 7:45 pm
WinterMoon wrote: October 17th, 2023, 1:48 pm Here goes nothing! :lol:

Just let me know!

FOR PL:

Great job Christine. Section 29 is PL ok. Thanks for all your help in this book. Hope to work with you again soon!

Thank you so much! I hope so as well, have a beautiful rest of your week.
~Christine~

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

And that finishes the reading of this compilation of short stories. Thanks to all the great readers who contributed their most excellent talents!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/the-best-short-stories-of-1917-by-various/

Christine - you might want to check the files and make sure they are all linked to the correct sections. There were a lot of changes that had to be made to filenames. I think I have them all sorted out, but it doesn't hurt to double check.
Jo
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Jo, Thanks for your extra steps. I checked the ones that were accessible on the Librivox site. It appears that the book did not fully derive to that location. Here is a list of the ones which are not accessible. 2,5,7-8,10-11,13-15,18-20,24-29.
Thanks!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Not sure why you had trouble playing these files, but I've rechecked these and all the sections play for me on the catalog page, but section 25 is introduced as section 18. There was a similar issue with section 17 (introduced as 11), but I was able to find the corrected file and sorted that one out. I've downloaded all the section 25 files and will see if I can find one with the correct intro. If you can shed any light on this one in the meantime, it would be appreciated.
Jo
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

catalogue page seems to be missing the text link too ? Anne