COMPLETE: The Thrill Book Vol. I No. 2 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Thrill Book Vol. I No. 2, March 15, 1919, by Various

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-thrill-book-vol-i-no-2-march-15-1919/

Volunteers outside the USA: Harold Hersey died in 1956. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: J. C. Kofoed died in 1979. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Welcome back to another exciting collection courtesy of the little known but influential pulp magazine The Thrill Book! In this issue we continue the mystical Egyptian mystery "The Jeweled Ibis" and the daring jungle adventure "In the Shadows of Race" as well as bringing a new full-length raucous and rowdy western "A Hooting, Tooting Son-of-a-Gun" as well as a quality selection of additional stories, poems and other assorted articles. (Summary by Ben Tucker)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/TheThrillBookV01n0219190315/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Fantastic Fiction; Westerns; Poetry; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: western, poems, egyptian, lost race, spider horror, strange but true

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Thrill Book Vol. I No. 2, March 15, 1919. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Thrill Book Vol. I No. 2, March 15, 1919. Section Title by Section Author."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #, Section Title." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Thrill Book Vol. I No. 2, March 15, 1919."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thrillbookvol1no2_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thrillbookvol1no2_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by flavo5000 on June 30th, 2023, 5:06 am, edited 11 times in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Since the first issue is starting to wrap up with just a handful of sections left to record, I thought I'd go ahead and launch issue 2!
HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

I would absolutely love to be included in this issue as well! I'd love to handle the Soldiers and Sailor's Relief Section again! :)

(Yes, I went and found a link to the text and yes, I did thumb through it [hehe] to see if there was another section in this issue as well)

Assuming you are using the book I have linked below and not other source I don't know about :)

https://archive.org/details/TheThrillBookV01n0219190315/page/n45/mode/2up
Things I'm working on:
Editing: None.
Recording: Soldiers | Super Secret Solo Project
Fixing: None
I will PL for you if it is ready. Just pm me a link to the thread.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

HopesUnicorn wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:47 pm I would absolutely love to be included in this issue as well! I'd love to handle the Soldiers and Sailor's Relief Section again! :)

(Yes, I went and found a link to the text and yes, I did thumb through it [hehe] to see if there was another section in this issue as well)

Assuming you are using the book I have linked below and not other source I don't know about :)

Excellent! Thanks! And yes, that's the correct link. I thought I had it in the first post but I think something went wonky with the project template generator. In addition to the relief section, there's also a short call for additional letters on page 23 if you want to cover all the Soldiers and Sailors stuff in this issue.

As soon as I get a MW, I can assign it to you.
HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

flavo5000 wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:03 pm
HopesUnicorn wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:47 pm I would absolutely love to be included in this issue as well! I'd love to handle the Soldiers and Sailor's Relief Section again! :)

Excellent! Thanks! And yes, that's the correct link. I thought I had it in the first post but I think something went wonky with the project template generator. In addition to the relief section, there's also a short call for additional letters on page 23 if you want to cover all the Soldiers and Sailors stuff in this issue.

As soon as I get a MW, I can assign it to you.
That is fine by me! I can't wait!
Things I'm working on:
Editing: None.
Recording: Soldiers | Super Secret Solo Project
Fixing: None
I will PL for you if it is ready. Just pm me a link to the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you. MW coming up shortly.
Jo
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:04 pm I'll MC for you. MW coming up shortly.
Awesome! Thanks!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Hi! Just letting you know I've assigned you the Soldiers and Sailors sections. This one is ready to roll!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:04 pm I'll MC for you. MW coming up shortly.
Can you add the following authors to the DB?
Clare Douglas Stewart (1894-1927)
Howard Dwight Smiley (1877-1940)
Albert Owens (birth and death date unknown)

Also these are pseudonyms in this issue of Harold Hersey (who is already in the catalog). Not sure how this is handled typically:
Isra Putnam
Charles Kiproy
Should these pseudonyms be entered in the Metadata as the author and somehow they'll be linked to Harold Hersey in the catalog db for searchability?

Thanks!
Last edited by flavo5000 on January 21st, 2023, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

With few exceptions we add pseudonyms to the author database and use the real name as the primary entry. In this case please enter the author's real name in the section metadata since he is already in the catalog under that entry.

Meanwhile I will add the new authors as well as the additional pseudonyms for Hersey. We also already have Roy Le Moyne as a pseudonym for Hersey.

ETA: Any chance of a short bio for the new authors (or link to wikipedia page)?
Jo
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm With few exceptions we add pseudonyms to the author database and use the real name as the primary entry. In this case please enter the author's real name in the section metadata since he is already in the catalog under that entry.

Meanwhile I will add the new authors as well as the additional pseudonyms for Hersey. We also already have Roy Le Moyne as a pseudonym for Hersey.

ETA: Any chance of a short bio for the new authors (or link to wikipedia page)?
Hm... Nope. They're all fairly obscure authors. I had to dig pretty deep just to get the birth and death dates for Stewart and Smiley. And I have no idea who Albert Owens is (I suspect he might be another pseudonym for Harold Hersey but I can't find anything to confirm that).

Btw, I messed up on one of the pseudonyms above. It should be Charles Kiproy, not charles putnam (I already edited that post as well).
Lavishley4413

Post by Lavishley4413 »

I would like chapter 9 of the ibis lurking unseen please
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Lavishley4413 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:45 pm I would like chapter 9 of the ibis lurking unseen please
Thanks for your interest in this project and welcome to Librivox! I actually forgot to update the status but right now I have a tentative hold on The Jeweled Ibis chapters for the user who's recording the first part of it for issue #1. If I don't hear back from them in a couple days, I'll be delighted to assign it to you. In the meantime, would you have an interest in contributing to a different section of this project? There are several very short sections that would be great to get your feet wet as a new contributor such as section 2, 18, 19 or 25 (Any of these would be just a couple of minutes long). Let me know where your interests lie. Thanks!
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

I'll take sections 1 & 2.