COMPLETE The American Beaver and His Works - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

{SOLO] The American Beaver and his works, by Lewis Henry Morgan (1818 - 1881)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/american-beaver-and-his-works-by-lh-morgan/
A comprehensive study of the behavior of the American beaver, based on the author's first-hand observations. (Summary by Joanne Turner)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/americanbeaverhi68morg

Target completion date: 2023-12-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Animals

Keywords that describe the book: beaver; other key words will be sent before cataloging

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The American Beaver and his works. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The American Beaver and his works, by Lewis Henry Morgan. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The American Beaver and his works, by Lewis Henry Morgan. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The American Beaver and his works, by Lewis Henry Morgan."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: americanbeaver_##_morgan_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. americanbeaver_00_morgan_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The author's name is Lewis Henry Morgan. You had the first two names reversed. I think I have changed it everywhere in the template. The book will likely require more than the 10 sections you have requested. It is easy to add sections if the chapters are spread over two or more sections. The chapters can be divided into parts (e.g. Chapter X, part 1; Chapter X, part 2; etc.). Let me know if you have any questions.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

thanks much!

Joanne T.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Feel free to start recording the book. Moving topic to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Thanks ever so much! I've begun uploading sections for you.
I was inspired to record this project because I'm reading the new book Beaverland, and because we occasionally see beaver in the creek behind our house. They are 2-year-old kits who have been urged to leave the natal den in the Minnesota River, into which the creek empties. They don't stay for long--not enough water in our little creek for a beaver to make a go of it. I find them fascinating.
Thanks for listening! Joanne T.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The filenames should be in the following format:
americanbeaver_01_morgan_128kb.mp3
americanbeaver_02_morgan_128kb.mp3
etc.

After I've listened to the files and commented on the recordings, upload them again with the above filenames and then changes the links in the MW.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

00:23 Author's name is Lewis Henry (not Henry Lewis) Morgan
14:23 delete repeat, "that this"
File should have 5s of silence at end. Add 4s more seconds.
Volume is low (85.1dB). Amplify volume of entire file by 4dB. Let me know if you need help doing this.

After making these changes, upload the file again using the filename mentioned in the previous post.
Btw, nice read. I have my own beaver stories but it's getting late here, so....
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

00:05 author's name is Lewis Henry Morgan
4:58 word stumble, comminute (delete the "com" and silence before you say comminute)
missing "end of section 2" statement at file end
File should have 5s of silence at end. Add 4s more seconds.
Volume is low (84.4dB). Amplify volume of entire file by 5dB.

I spend two months at a field station where I daily observed a beaver family that had (apparently) two lodges in a nearby very large pond created by their building a dam.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Craig, I've made your changes, and I apologize for my mistakes, and uploaded two more sections for your review. Thanks for listening!
Joanne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!
The MW is incorrect. Section 2 is the first part of Chapter 1. The entire Preface is in Section 1 (there are no "parts"). File is pl ok but MW needs to be corrected.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

At the beginning of the intro you say "section 2" not 3. This file actually should be section 2 once the MW is corrected.
outro missing at file end (end of section).
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

missing outro at file end.

I'm a little confused as to why you didn't read more of chapter one. This file is rather short and ends on page 35 when the chapter continues to page 45.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

This is section 2 (the beginning of chapter 1).