[COMPLETE] A New England Girlhood, by Lucy Larcom - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RandyFu6

Post by RandyFu6 »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Mdoreen32 wrote: March 12th, 2023, 8:28 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_10_larcom_128kb.mp3
Chapter 10 fixed 33:53

Michelle, I can help you set up a macro. We can talk on Thursday am, First , make a list of the effects use all the time and then we can crate your macro
Enjoyed the chat! Learning how to set up a macro was fun, and not hard once I understood it. It will save me some time on repetitive tasks. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

RandyFu6 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 6:17 am Chapter 6 by RandyFu6

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_06_larcom_128kb.mp3

27:54
Thanks, I'll listen soon. I'll need you to choose a Catalog Name. Could be your real name, your username or other name, but its the one that will appear in the catalog next to anything you read.
msfry

Post by msfry »

LuckyTrefle wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:39 pm 12. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_12_larcom_128kb.mp3 (00:36:50)

Hoooooo boy - you were not kidding about the challenge! I learned so much in the process, and I'm excited for any proofing notes that I can use to improve. Lucy Larcom's got a great style to her writing; it was a ton of fun to read through!
Chapter 12 has only one PL Note.

Outro: Please say: "End of Chapter #, Chapter Title (as shown in MW)". I put the Preface AFTER the end of the book, (because it is so dry and boring compared to the rest of the chapters, and I didn't want to scare listeners away). So in this case I can't let you say End of book or people might quit listening. :roll:

Alas, Lauren, I can't offer any tips for improvement, (and I do so love to give tips :wink: ). You were well matched with the material, and did a spectacular job reading (and editing) this long, but inspiring chapter.
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

msfry wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:04 pm
LuckyTrefle wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:39 pm 12. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_12_larcom_128kb.mp3 (00:36:50)

Hoooooo boy - you were not kidding about the challenge! I learned so much in the process, and I'm excited for any proofing notes that I can use to improve. Lucy Larcom's got a great style to her writing; it was a ton of fun to read through!
Chapter 12 has only one PL Note.

Outro: Please say: "End of Chapter #, Chapter Title (as shown in MW)". I put the Preface AFTER the end of the book, (because it is so dry and boring compared to the rest of the chapters, and I didn't want to scare listeners away). So in this case I can't let you say End of book or people might quit listening. :roll:

Alas, Lauren, I can't offer any tips for improvement, (and I do so love to give tips :wink: ). You were well matched with the material, and did a spectacular job reading (and editing) this long, but inspiring chapter.
No problemo - understood and easily fixed! Reuploaded here:
12. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_12_larcom_128kb.mp3 (00:36:49)

And you might say you can't offer any tips, but a great one was provided! If I'm ever unsure in the future as to where a chapter will go in the book (or if the preface will be the finishing touch), I'll be sure to reach out to the project manager for a check. :thumbs:

Thank you for the kind words. It was fun to read and to see how so much of her perspective still rang true today. I was on a plane recently and the experience was almost word-for-word exactly true to Lucy's description of the stagecoach ride out west. :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

12 is PL OK.
Maybe you'll stick around so when I record that Preface, Lauren, you will PL it for me. Fair trade?
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

msfry wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:53 pm 12 is PL OK.
Maybe you'll stick around so when I record that Preface, Lauren, you will PL it for me. Fair trade?
Fair trade! :wink: I'll keep an ear out and an eye on the thread.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 13, Dedication and Preface, has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_13_larcom_128kb.mp3 15:56

Lauren, please refer to the Prooflisteners instructions in the first post for any guidance you may need, and of course, feel free to ask questions.
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

msfry wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:54 am Section 13, Dedication and Preface, has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/newenglandgirlhood_13_larcom_128kb.mp3 15:56

Lauren, please refer to the Prooflisteners instructions in the first post for any guidance you may need, and of course, feel free to ask questions.
Overall, excellent! Just a few minimal notes, I'll leave them to your discretion since you're the DPL.

0:01:07 - Heard "shouts" instead of text "shoots"
0:05:26 - Heard "engaging confidences" instead of "exchanging confidences"
0:15:19 - Sniff/inhale just before the closing poem

Otherwise, PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

LuckyTrefle wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 3:09 pm Overall, excellent! Just a few minimal notes, I'll leave them to your discretion since you're the DPL.

Otherwise, PL OK!
13 is ready for spot PL, with the 3 recommended changes made. Thank you loads for helping me out.

A few Points of Interest:

As this isn't Word Perfect and none of the errors were "egregious", they could have stayed as is and nobody not following the text would have noticed. It makes it easier on all concerned and does no harm. Actually, listeners might scratch their head with "shoots". It makes no sense to me whatever, but I checked two sources and sure enough, shoots is right.

Before I taught my tongue to wound
My conscience by a sinful sound;—
But felt through all this fleshy dress
Bright shoots of everlastingness.

Occasional mouth noises are generally ignored, and some listeners say it makes the recitation sound more like a live performance.

Ball's back in your court! :)
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

msfry wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:52 pm
LuckyTrefle wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 3:09 pm Overall, excellent! Just a few minimal notes, I'll leave them to your discretion since you're the DPL.

Otherwise, PL OK!
13 is ready for spot PL, with the 3 recommended changes made. Thank you loads for helping me out.

A few Points of Interest:

As this isn't Word Perfect and none of the errors were "egregious", they could have stayed as is and nobody not following the text would have noticed. It makes it easier on all concerned and does no harm. Actually, listeners might scratch their head with "shoots". It makes no sense to me whatever, but I checked two sources and sure enough, shoots is right.

Before I taught my tongue to wound
My conscience by a sinful sound;—
But felt through all this fleshy dress
Bright shoots of everlastingness.

Occasional mouth noises are generally ignored, and some listeners say it makes the recitation sound more like a live performance.

Ball's back in your court! :)
Ah, gotcha - duly noted for next time. :thumbs: Thank you for the clarification!

Listened over morning coffee, and pleased to report the spot PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks again, Lauren, for PL'ing 13. Now may I draw your attention to Silver Platters in my signature below. The Romance of a Summer Day (3 sections) is still unclaimed, and a few other stories, any of which would be a good fit for your voice, I think -- if you have the time and are so inclined.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 6 for Randy

INTRO: between .5 and 1 second of silence
7:22 for' they were scraps of gowns, you say scrapes. The short a sound is used to distinguish the two words. 'a' as in ask.
7:33 repeat "It was a delicate pink and brown sea-moss pattern"
7:53 I always saw her face before me when I unfolded this scrap, you say scrape.
13:29 files of which hung in the chimney corner, you say kimney, should be ch as in children
13:54 for our scrap-books, you say scrape
18:36-40 an overdub, please re'record "took it for a sort of semi-Biblical fairy tale. There was on my mother's bed a covering of pink chintz,"
20:35 an overdub, please re-record "when Aunt Hannah had done all she could for us. That book was a collection of excellent literary extracts,"
20:51 It contained poems from Wordsworth, you say Wordsmith, (famous poet)
23:08 an overdub, please re-record. "the feeling was deep. It was as if Mont Blanc stood visibly before me,"
OUTRO: 5 seconds of silence (please add 2.5)

All in all, considering that English isn't your native tongue yet you only mispronounced 1 word that turned out to be another word (scrap/scrape), I'd say that is pretty darn good! Your "expressiveness" was pleasant to the ear.

Overdubs: These occur when you record on a second track under the original track, (as in when you re-record a line to paste over the original), but then you don't delete the second track, then it gets mixed down to a single track when saving in "mono". That you didn't catch these overdubs, or that repeat, tells me that you didn't do a final proof listening of your file before uploading it, which of course we all must do. :D

I still need you to choose a Catalog Name, and hope to hear back from you soon.
Last edited by msfry on April 18th, 2023, 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have re-opened Section 5, so i guess we should move this back to Readers Wanted: Books
Groovycat

Post by Groovycat »