[solo] Emily's Quest by Lucy Maud Montgomery-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Hi Corey,
Thanks so much for the feedback!

1. 1:22 - Yes, I can shorten the pause at 1:22 between the words "silk stockings were immoral" and "So Emily"

2. 5:17 - "Never approved her mania" is how the text read, but in retrospect, it was probably a misprint and should be "never approved of her mania." Assuming it is okay to alter the wording of the text in the case of misprints, I will correct it.

3. Looking at the notes re intros and outros, I see that you are correct, it should be "Read by..." And yet I have always said "Recording by..." for all my projects! Is either variation acceptable or should I change all my outros? Maybe Devorah can weigh in?

Thanks again!
N.
Nancy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If we can prove that it's a misprint (by referencing another PD source, for instance), then sure, I'd say go ahead and correct it. But if it's just that we feel like there should be an "of" there, then that's not a strong enough reason. It is not as common to say "approved" without the "of," but it isn't wrong, and I've seen that kind of phrasing elsewhere. So just please be very very sure that the correction you're making has some evidence in support of it.

As far as Read by/Recording by, I don't think it matters quite so much. I hear "Recording by" or "Recorded by" in quite a lot of catalogued LV works, mostly older ones. I think that the wording wasn't really standardized for a long while, so you'll hear both of them from time to time. As long as all of the other intro stuff is there, I think we're fine. To my knowledge, the only part where we need to be a bit picky about the wording is the public domain disclaimer.
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Chapter 1 ready for spot PL (19:58)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/emilysquest_01_montgomery_128kb.mp3

I compared the fadedpage.com text with the kindle version, and the kindle also reads "approved her mania", so I think it's safe to assume this is the author's intentional choice of phrasing - I left it as is.

I am going to continue to use "recording by..." in my outro, at least through my current projects. I will be consistent throughout.

I shortened the pause at 1:22.

Thanks again!
Nancy
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

Thank you both for responding in such detail! I only just noticed that the posts had run over to a second page (having edited my previous post earlier today). What you've said makes sense, and i'll only check that the intros and outros are consistent from here on out.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

PL notes for Chapter 2:

No notes; i will mark this chapter OK.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

PL notes for Chapter 3:

I found no issues and will mark this chapter OK.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

Updated PL notes for Chapter 1:

Issues from the previous notes have been resolved. I found no new issues and will mark this chapter OK.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

PL notes for Chapter 4:

03:57 – A 2-second pause before "Japan" broke my flow; could be slightly shortened.

Otherwise sounded great. : )
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

PL notes for Chapter 5:

I have no issues to raise!
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

The link for Chapter 6 actually points to the audio file for Chapter 4. Please update?

I could infer the correct URL, but for all i know a subtle change was made and the correct file is differently named.

Thanks!
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

Updated PL notes for Chapter 4:

Issues were resolved and i will mark the chapter OK.
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Cory,
I have uploaded the correct url for chapter 6 (30:35)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/emilysquest_06_montgomery_128kb.mp3

Thanks!!
Nancy