[solo] Emily's Quest by Lucy Maud Montgomery-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Emily's Quest, by Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874 - 1942)
to be added (Summary by Nancy Halper)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170224

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: young adult novel; feminist literature

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Emily's Quest. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Emily's Quest, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Emily's Quest, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Emily's Quest, by Lucy Maud Montgomery."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: emilysquest_##_montgomery_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. emilysquest_01_montgomery_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Nancy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I will MC this. Your MW is ready. Let me know if you need anything else.
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Thank you Devorah!
Nancy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Seeing that your MW is filled in, I will move this to Going Solo. Hopefully we can find a DPL soon.
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

I would be interested to DPL this recording.

I am new to LV and looking to PL before i begin recording anything. I have some limited experience flagging notes for audio editors, and i've read the PL FAQ. I see that this is a standard request, and i will follow that list. I should be able to get through at least one file every 2 days or so.

I do have one question: Is it standard to post a new reply with notes for each audio file? That's what i would do unless instructed otherwise.

Thank you for recording. : )

Cory
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Hi Cory,
Thanks so much for volunteering to PL! That would be great!
Yes, I believe it is standard to post a reply here after editing each section, to let me know if any changes need to be made or if it is ok as is.
Thanks again!!
N.
Nancy
NancyHalper

Post by NancyHalper »

Nancy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

CoryBrunson wrote: February 11th, 2023, 2:06 pm I would be interested to DPL this recording.
NancyHalper wrote: February 13th, 2023, 6:26 pm Hi Cory,
Thanks so much for volunteering to PL! That would be great!
Perfect! I have added Cory to the system and the DPL slot of this project. Cory, how would you like to be credited in the catalogue? You can use your real name, forum name, or some other pseudonym.

If you haven't yet, please read over this guide for DPLs explaining what to listen for and what can be passed over, plus some technical stuff: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners You will be able to log in to the MW (magic window) in order to change the status of each section to "PL ok" or "See PL notes," as the case requires. This page explains how to log in and make those changes: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=DPLs:_How_to_Update_the_Magic_Window
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, and yes, as Nancy said, please do post a comment for each section you PL. You can combine notes for several sections into one post or post them each separately. That part isn't important. But it is important to have a record of what you've listened to and whether or not it was ok. Occasionally (not often), I will notice that a section has been changed to "PL ok," but no post has been made by the DPL to that effect. That is concerning, because you can't really be sure if the section is really ok, or if it was changed by accident.

Hopefully the link I gave you will answer any other questions of this kind, but if not, please ask, and either Nancy or I can help you out.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

mightyfelix, "Cory Brunson" is fine.

Thanks to you both! I'll get started tomorrow.

I will bear in mind the importance of posting notes as well as marking sections.
CoryBrunson

Post by CoryBrunson »

PL notes for Chapter 1:

01:22 – A 2-second pause seemed unintentionally long and took me out of the flow.
05:17 – I heard "never approved her mania" which might have been a misspeak of "never approved of her mania". EDIT: I checked the text linked above, and what i heard is correct. Apologies!
19:51 – "Recording by" should be "Read by" (per the notes at the top of the thread).

Please do let me know if these are (or become) too pedantic. I don't plan to note the same change in outro wording in future chapters, though i will note if they differ from this one.
Last edited by CoryBrunson on February 16th, 2023, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.