COMPLETE [DR][Hardy Boys #2] The House on the Cliff-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

The House on the Cliff, by Franklin W. Dixon (1902 - 1977)

This project is now complete. Finished audio files can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/the-house-on-the-cliff-version-4-dramatic-reading-by-franklin-w-dixon/

Volunteers outside the USA: Franklin W. Dixon died in 1977. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
When teenage detectives Frank and Joe Hardy resolve to discover the secret of a seemingly haunted house atop a cliff, they find quite a bit more than they bargained for! In this second adventure of the series, the Hardy Boys and their friends rescue a mystery man from the ocean, discover what it is that haunts the house, and become far more helpful in their father's latest case than they ever hoped! (Summary by redrun)
Project Notes
Casting is gender-neutral. Descriptions of characters in the MW are purely for the reader's convenience.
Doubling of roles for small parts is OK, so long as they appear in separate chapters.

For convenience, status for all PD books in the series will be updated here: viewtopic.php?t=96048
Source text (please read only from these prepared scripts!): https://nextcloud.sitesfor.us/s/L7Rkre5igbcQEyH

The source for these scripts is here: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20220153

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.
Proof-listen individual parts from the provided script for each chapter.
Proof-listen completed chapters against Faded Page source here: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20220153

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction; Dramatic Readings; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: teen, Detective, Mystery, hardy boys

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character name as it appears in MW, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter 1 of The House on the Cliff, book 2 of the Hardy Boys Mystery series by Franklin W. Dixon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The House on the CLiff by Franklin W. Dixon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Chapter Title."
At the end of each file say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The House on the Cliff, book 2 of the Hardy Boys Mystery Series by Franklin W. Dixon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: houseonthecliff_role_##.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. houseonthecliff_frank_01.mp3)
For final files: houseonthecliff_##_dixon_128kb.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. houseonthecliff_01_dixon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by redrun on June 4th, 2023, 7:58 pm, edited 19 times in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ooh, could I claim Frank? I read these books a lot when I was a kid!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

---

I will be editing and narrating this dramatic work.

AdeledePignerolles has offered to help with PL. I'll PL the individual parts.

---
flavo5000 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:11 pm Ooh, could I claim Frank? I read these books a lot when I was a kid!
And, we have our first claim! Welcome to The House on the Cliff, flavo! :wink:
Last edited by redrun on January 26th, 2023, 5:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Just to clarify, are you planning to have your readers find their own lines from the text in the scan? Pardon me for saying so, but if that is your plan, I think you have a recipe for disaster, or at least for a very big headache. DRs generally start with a script, either color-coded or marked with the characters' names or both, in order to make it easier for readers to find their lines and also easier for DPLs to ensure that everything is present. Looking through a chapter of text without those kinds of markers means that it's very likely things will get missed. A lot.

I say this not to discourage you, but to help you determine whether you have fully considered how this is all going to work. Have you read the good practice guidelines for DRs? If not, please take a look: viewtopic.php?t=44647 These are things that have been found by long experience to have a major impact on whether or not a DR succeeds.
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I’d love to read Joe if this project proceeds! When the other two Hardy Boys projects you mention launch, I would be very willing to reprise the role in those as well.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Salvationist wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:16 am I’d love to read Joe if this project proceeds! When the other two Hardy Boys projects you mention launch, I would be very willing to reprise the role in those as well.
I've got you down for Joe! We'll get this sorted one way or another.
mightyfelix wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:49 pm Just to clarify, are you planning to have your readers find their own lines from the text in the scan?
-snip-
I say this not to discourage you, but to help you determine whether you have fully considered how this is all going to work. Have you read the good practice guidelines for DRs? If not, please take a look: viewtopic.php?t=44647 These are things that have been found by long experience to have a major impact on whether or not a DR succeeds.
Edit: This was a very long post, but the short version is that I'd read the guidelines, and intended to list each character's lines in the MW for small parts in each chapter, or in a forum post for main characters like Frank and Joe.
This would be a fair amount of work on my end, but still much less than OCRing or typing out the Archive scan we started off with, and then adapting that to a script! For the reader, this would be a little simpler in some ways, and a little more complex in others, but would at least (I think) have avoided the headache those guidelines are there to keep us from.
I may try out that method some other time, but since we have text instead of the scan now, I'll go ahead and create scripts as folks are used to seeing.
Last edited by redrun on January 4th, 2023, 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It looks like a PD version of The Tower Treasure is now on the Internet Archive as well!

https://archive.org/details/towertreasure0000fran_q4d5/page/n8/mode/1up
Salvationist

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Salvationist wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:35 am It looks like a PD version of The Tower Treasure is now on the Internet Archive as well!

https://archive.org/details/towertreasure0000fran_q4d5/page/n8/mode/1up
Thanks! I've updated the first post, and will start a project for that one once we've got things figured out here. :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's House on the Cliff at Faded Page, which is a clearly PD text version: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20220153

You can make scripts from this.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

TriciaG wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:16 am Here's House on the Cliff at Faded Page, which is a clearly PD text version: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20220153

You can make scripts from this.
Thank you! I'll get to work on that this evening, and this project will move forward from color-coded scripts based on Faded Page. I've updated the first post to reflect that. For whichever MC picks up this project, I hope it's not much work to switch to that as the source link.

I checked for The Tower Treasure, but their edition of that one isn't PD. Perhaps one will show up in the time that it takes me to put together the script for this book. If not, I'll start that one off with a clearer picture of my intended alternate process.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Hey there! I will claim Chet if you like---and for future books in the series I would be interested in keeping that role, like Salvationist with Joe.
Mozartjr :clap:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Mozartjr wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:12 am Hey there! I will claim Chet if you like---and for future books in the series I would be interested in keeping that role, like Salvationist with Joe.
Welcome, I've got you marked for Chet!

I'm thinking I should have posted about all this in Book Suggestions, and hashed out methodologies with whomever might MC before moving here. I'm not sure how reserving character roles in a series usually works, but we'll figure something out. At the very least, since I'll be starting The Tower Treasure shortly (probably after scripts are prepared here), I can have you both marked for that one off the bat.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

redrun wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:19 am
Mozartjr wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:12 am Hey there! I will claim Chet if you like---and for future books in the series I would be interested in keeping that role, like Salvationist with Joe.
Welcome, I've got you marked for Chet!

I'm thinking I should have posted about all this in Book Suggestions, and hashed out methodologies with whomever might MC before moving here. I'm not sure how reserving character roles in a series usually works, but we'll figure something out. At the very least, since I'll be starting The Tower Treasure shortly (probably after scripts are prepared here), I can have you both marked for that one off the bat.
You can pencil me in for Frank for the rest of the series too :)
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I just saw the “Volunteers outside the USA” warning at the top of this thread. :shock: I live in Canada. Will LibriVox not allow me to record a role in this project?

I am an academic librarian and I have studied copyright law. My understanding is that any text that is in the public domain in the text’s originating country is automatically in the public domain in Canada, regardless of differences between the two countries’ copyright laws. This book was published by an American publisher, and the text is in the public domain in the United States, so there should be no issue.

Is there someone in particular I should contact on this subject? I am really excited to participate in this project and I would hate to be excluded over what appears to me to be a misunderstanding of international copyright law.
Salvationist

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I am an academic librarian and I have studied copyright law. My understanding is that any text that is in the public domain in the text’s originating country is automatically in the public domain in Canada, regardless of differences between the two countries’ copyright laws. This book was published by an American publisher, and the text is in the public domain in the United States, so there should be no issue.
I'm 99.9% certain that Canada's Rule of the Shorter Term has an exception for the USA.

EDIT: Check out this article: https://themusiclawyer.ca/a-copyright-mystery-the-rule-of-the-shorter-term-and-the-public-domain-in-canada
Wikipedia says the same thing, with a caveat, stating in a chart that Canada implements the Rule of the Shorter Term except with respect to NAFTA countries. The citation on Wikipedia is to Section 9(2) of the Copyright Act, which has been updated to refer to CUSMA instead of NAFTA. Section 9(2) says the following:

Nationals of Other Countries

(2) Authors who are nationals of any country, other than a country that is a party to the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement, that grants a term of protection shorter than that mentioned in subsection (1) are not entitled to claim a longer term of protection in Canada.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/FullText.html