(Complete) A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-christmas-carol-by-charles-dickens-6/
A Christmas Carol recounts the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an elderly miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come. After their visits, Scrooge is transformed into a kinder, gentler ma (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/46/46-h/46-h.htm

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Christmas Carol. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: christmascarol_##_dickens_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. christmascarol_01_dickens_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: m8b1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'll MC this for you. Be back in a bit with a MW!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Alright, all set! Have fun!

Assuming you don't already have a DPL lined up, we'll stay her for a little bit to see if we can snag one. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:!: If you don't have a proof-listener, I'd love to DPL. Thanks!
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I've added you as DPL, and moving this on over to Going Solo......
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Maria

Hi

There is a small preface to this book which I missed when filling out the new project form.

For information

I have finished recording the 1st chapter(Stave) it is quite lengthy and I am in the process of editing it (40 minutes done so far) and should be able to post it by the end of the week.

Best regards

Peter
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Peter,

Do you want another section, or since it is so very short you can just include it with the first part.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Guys
I have posted chapter one in the magic window. It's been sometime since I did any recording and the format of the MW looks a little different, so forgive me if I've got it wrong.

I will put in the URL just in case..

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/christmascarol_01_dickens_128kb.mp3

Duration 48.27

Malcom Cowley
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

The link needs to go in the "Listen URL" column. I've entered this one for you to show you where. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm listening! :D

There appears to be some text missing from the recording
at around 6:09 "and he could hear the people in the court outside, go wheezing up and down, beating their hands upon their breasts, and stamping their feet"
at around 13:23 "with fifteen shillings a week, and a wife and family, talking about a merry Christmas. I’ll retire to Bedlam.” This lunatic, in letting Scrooge’s nephew out,"
at around 23:15 "as any man in the city of London, even including—which is a bold word"
23:34 - 24:03 repetition to be deleted, starting with "And then let any man explain to me"

I would describe the sound a little bit muffled, so I checked some of your previous recordings, and they sounded rather clear. It's only a little muffled, though noticeably different so if you can control that for your future recordings it would be an improvement, but it won't be a problem if not. :thumbs:
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Apologies for the missing text. I have done enough solos to be embarrassed by the lack of attention to detail. :oops:

House decoration has forced me to record in a changing environment, but a new laptop this week and a permanent place to record will hopefully produce a clearer recording. I intend to completely record Stave one again.

Regards

Peter
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Guys

I have put a new reading of chapter 1 in the MW.

(https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/christmascarol_01_dickens_128kbp.mp3.........)Duration is new 48.37

I will do the preface next

Thank you for your patience

Peter
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Peter! Your new file for Stave 1 is PL OK!
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Hi

Stave 2 posted in MW,

I was uncertain how to add the Preface to the MW.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/christmascarol_preface_dickens_128kbp.mp3

Duration 00.53

Regards

Peter

Malcom Cowley
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Peter!

Lovely reading of this classic!

I have one PL note for Stave 2: it is missing the 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Hearing all three sections so far, I would suggest beginning each intro with "Preface to A Christmas Carol [...]", "Stave 1 of A Christmas Carol [...]", "Stave 2 of A Christmas Carol [...]", etc., as it would make it clear from the beginning, which section is starting. That's a suggestion if it's an easy fix for you for the three sections so far. If it's too much trouble, please ignore.

MC Maria will be able to add a section 0 for the preface for you, and the filename should be christmascarol_00_dickens_128kb.mp3

Other than the filename and the suggested intro change, the Preface is PL OK.