Some books entering the public domain in the USA in 2023

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: December 31st, 2022, 6:06 pm The list is looking good!
I've been going through the government 1927 copyright lists and have found many titles, though probably they are interesting only to me.
Anyone for the Dawes Plan? Poems for Workers?
What are the Poems for Workers?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

alanmapstone wrote: December 31st, 2022, 7:46 pm
I've been going through the government 1927 copyright lists and have found many titles, though probably they are interesting only to me.
It's a pretty thin collection published by the communist party (?) in the U.S.

Poems for workers, an anthology
Authors: Manuel Gomez, Workers Party of America
Print Book, English, [1927]
Publisher: Published for Workers Party of America by Daily Worker Pub. Co., Chicago, [1927]
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: December 31st, 2022, 8:45 pm
alanmapstone wrote: December 31st, 2022, 7:46 pm
It's a pretty thin collection published by the communist party (?) in the U.S.

Poems for workers, an anthology
Authors: Manuel Gomez, Workers Party of America
Print Book, English, [1927]
Publisher: Published for Workers Party of America by Daily Worker Pub. Co., Chicago, [1927]
This might be of interest. It would depend on this source document being reliably PD. Also a couple of the poems are by Siegfried Sassoon, who was English and whose work is not PD for me. It will need a US based BC.

https://www.marxists.org/history/usa/pubs/lrlibrary/05-LRL-poem.pdf
Last edited by alanmapstone on December 31st, 2022, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This is an interesting list.
Emotions by James McCosh 95% 1 left! "Fourth Element: the Organic Affection Part 2"
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 79%
Medieval History
DPL
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

InTheDesert wrote: December 31st, 2022, 9:50 pm This is an interesting list.
As I said earlier To The Lighthouse would make a good Dramatic Reading. Perhaps using 3 different narrators for the 3 parts.
Alan
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Return of Don Quixote by G.K. Chesterton may excite some people.
As might Pollyanna's Debt of Honor.
Emotions by James McCosh 95% 1 left! "Fourth Element: the Organic Affection Part 2"
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 79%
Medieval History
DPL
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'm planning to record The Small Bachelor as soon as I finish my current project, unless someone else does a solo recording of it first. I haven't begun looking for a PD edition to read from yet. I'm a bit slow still after moving, as I'm still catching up on some tasks here, but am hoping to be a more regular LibriVox reader in 2023 than 2022.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

I just posted the scans for these to archive.org.

Tom Swift Circling The Globe by Appleton, Victor
https://archive.org/details/tom-swift-circling-the-globe
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/69682

The House On The Cliff by Dixon, Franklin W.
https://archive.org/details/the-house-on-the-cliff_202301

The Gnome King Of Oz by Thompson, Ruth Plumly
https://archive.org/details/the-gnome-king-of-oz

These will eventually make through pgdp.net to post to Project Gutenberg.

Greg
Last edited by gweeks on January 1st, 2023, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

KevinS wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:39 pm Ernest Hemingway, Men Without Women (collection of short stories)
This has posted to Project Gutenberg.
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/69683

Greg
Last edited by gweeks on January 1st, 2023, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gweeks wrote: December 28th, 2022, 5:13 pm It's actually the first three hardy boys books that were published in 1927. I have plans for all three of these for pgdp. When I get scan sets posted to archive.org I'll post the links in this forum.
Thank you gweeks, and it looks like you've been hard at work already! Whenever you get around to those Hardy Boys books, I'd love to start a dramatic reading of at least the first two. Two's the limit, or I'd start all three! :wink:

Thank you again for your volunteer efforts, and I hope you're having a brilliant and exciting Public Domain Day! :birthday:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

gweeks wrote: January 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm
KevinS wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:39 pm Ernest Hemingway, Men Without Women (collection of short stories)
This has posted to Project Gutenberg. I don't have the permanent link yet.

Greg
Yes! These are stories I plan to record but I might record them slowly for the short story collection. (I think I can do three at a time in that case.)
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:32 am
KevinS wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:22 am I think just the stand alone novel The Small Bachelor, but I could be wrong.
Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Would I be right in thinking Meet Mr Mulliner (for instance) would not be available for an English narrator until 70 years after PG Wodehouse died in 1975, that's to say 2045?
Thanks,
Adrian
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

KevinS wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:49 pm And here is something I didn't know about. Is this accurate? (I found it on wikipedia.)

"In 2004 copyright in Australia changed from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, in line with the United States and the European Union. But the change was not made retroactive (unlike the 1995 change in the European Union which bought some e.g. British authors back into copyright, especially those who died from 1925 to 1944). Hence the work of an author who died before 1955 is normally in the public domain in Australia; but the copyright of authors was extended to 70 years after death for those who died in 1955 or later, and no more Australian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2026 (those who died in 1955).

"Similarly, Canada amended its Copyright Act in 2022 from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, coming into force on December 30, 2022, but does not revive expired copyright. No more new Canadian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2043 (those who died in 1972)."
Yes, it's unfortunately accurate. New Zealand is likely to follow shortly. It's being slipped in to our Free Trade agreements with the UK post-Brexit. The library communities in NZ are arguing against it, supported by our local Wikimedia User Group. The last because it's messing with our plans to get out of copyright materials uploaded to WikiCommons and Wikisource.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

afinevoice wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:54 am
InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:32 am Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Would I be right in thinking Meet Mr Mulliner (for instance) would not be available for an English narrator until 70 years after PG Wodehouse died in 1975, that's to say 2045?
Unfortunately Yes :(
As Wodehouse was British and his books were published in UK the full copyright period will apply here :evil:
Alan
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

alanmapstone wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:46 am
afinevoice wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:54 am
InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:32 am Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Unfortunately Yes :(
As Wodehouse was British and his books were published in UK the full copyright period will apply here :evil:
Thanks for responding. So it appears no British book of any standing (whatever that means :) ) will ever be read by a Brit, first, on Librivox.
Thanks,
Adrian