Post by mariawhite »

Hi sonia

Great, I will do it, then.

Thank you, so much,

Maria
Anna2050

Post by Anna2050 »

Kitty wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:41 am
Anna2050 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:10 amI lowered the volume and I cut the file, I hope it sounds better now but in case it doesn't, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.
the volume is good now but I still see nearly 7 seconds of silence at the end. Are you sure you cut it ? :hmm: Are you using Audacity ? You can enlarge the waves so that you see every second in the top ruler bar. That way you see well how many seconds it is precisely. Maybe your ruler-view is too small/compressed, that you don't see it exactly.

Sonia
Hello,

please excuse me for not posting earlier; I 've had some technical problems with my computer. I am using Audacity but there are still some functions that I don't know how to use very well.
I cut the audio file, I hope it is ok now. If not, I'll fix again.
Thank you for your patience!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_pecoastelecalabriei_alecsandri_anna_128kb.mp3
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Anna2050 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:25 pm please excuse me for not posting earlier; I 've had some technical problems with my computer. I am using Audacity but there are still some functions that I don't know how to use very well.
Hi Anna,

No worries. :) We also ask readers to tell us the length of their recording for every upload.

Thanks,
Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anna2050 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:25 pmplease excuse me for not posting earlier; I 've had some technical problems with my computer. I am using Audacity but there are still some functions that I don't know how to use very well.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_pecoastelecalabriei_alecsandri_anna_128kb.mp3
:? hmmm something went wrong with this audio....instead of the end, you cut part of the beginning so now the title is missing. And the end still has 7 seconds.

No worries....I corrected the file for you now and reuploaded:

Recording time: 1:46 min.

But it would be good to tell me what exactly you were doing or maybe we can PM each other and I guide you through it with a step-by-step if you need further help. Because for future sections it would be good if you could edit them all yourself ;)

It's PL ok now. Thanks !!!!

Sonia
cordajungfrau

Post by cordajungfrau »

Hi,
I’ve recorded a poem (please find link to audio and the name of the author and the work below) for the Multilingual Short Works Collection 034. In the Librivox Uploader I’ve selected the MC ToddHW, as requested above.
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb_mp3.mp3
Duration: 2:54
Author: Joan Maragall
Title: El mal caçador
Language: Catalan
Text: https://archive.org/details/visionscants00farrgoog/page/n14/mode/2up (pages 15 to 19)
Keywords: in Catalan: visió, caçador, missa (in English: vision, hunter, mass)
If possible, I’d like to appear under the nickname of Corda Jungfrau.
Thanks,
cordajungfrau
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

cordajungfrau wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:19 am Hi,
I’ve recorded a poem (please find link to audio and the name of the author and the work below) for the Multilingual Short Works Collection 034. In the Librivox Uploader I’ve selected the MC ToddHW, as requested above.
Hi cordajungfrau,

It's great to have a reading in Catalan in this collection! Sonia, our proof-listener, will check your recording. Just one small note about the filename. It should not have the "_mp3" in the name, only the ".mp3" extension. It should be:

msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb.mp3

rather than:

msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb_mp3.mp3

If you make any other changes recommended by Sonia, you can upload it with a corrected filename. Otherwise, we'll fix the name when we catalog this collection.

Here is your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/18258

Thanks,
Michael
cordajungfrau

Post by cordajungfrau »

Thanks! I'll wait eargerly for your news.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Corda and welcome to our forum :) And what a wonderful first contribution you selected for our multilingual project :9: I could really feel how you enjoyed reading this one. Especially the parts where you get carried away by enthusiasm, those lines made me smile, it sounded so exciting. Very fitting for the poem too. Really good recording, and I am looking forward to hearing more from you. 8-)

There are a few small corrections I could suggest to you. Nothing difficult, so definitely don't re-record the whole thing, the text itself is absolutely wonderful as it is. :thumbs:

Just correct on these spots:

> the volume is too loud (over 92 dB), we accept between 86 an 92. Could you decrease by -2, to get to a better average ? some parts of your poem are very loud and some parts are much softer. It's a great way of reciting this poem, but huge differences in volume make it difficult to get to a level volume all throughout.

> the intro silence is recommended to be between 0.5 and 1 second, you nearly have 2. Cut a little bit there

> from 0:08 to 0:12: between intro and start of poem, the silence is too long. I usually recommend that 1.5 seconds maximum is enough to make a good break. Anything over 2 seconds feels long for a listener

> from 2:38 to 2:42: between the end of the poem and the outro disclaimer: also here, silence too long, I would cut to under 2 seconds

> at 2:44: "this recording is in the public domain" - if I may suggest a pronunciation correction here, to avoid misunderstanding: the 'u' in "public" is pronounced /a/, not /ju/. Otherwise it could be misinterpreted, which might be a bit embarrassing considering the resulting word ;)

> filename: since you reupload anyway, please also correct the filename, and remove the "mp3" from the name

thanks

Sonia
cordajungfrau

Post by cordajungfrau »

Hi, Sonia,
Thanks for your beautiful words.
I’ve decreased the volume by -4 instead of -2 since -2 seemed to be insuficient.
I think I’ve also fixed the problems with silences.
Thanks for your indication about the mispronunciation of the word ‘public’. I’ve already corrected it also.
So, here’s the new link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb.mp3
Greetings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cordajungfrau wrote: January 26th, 2023, 11:28 amI’ve decreased the volume by -4 instead of -2 since -2 seemed to be insuficient.
:hmm: are you using Audacity ? What exactly did you do ? Because -2 would have been enough, I tried it. And -4 should also have worked, but your result now is way too low, it's only coming up to 82 db. So now you need to amplify again with +7 to get to 89.

But please tell me the step-by-step you did, something must have gone wrong there and it's best to figure it out right away.

Also you could download the Checker program, that way you can immediately check to volume of your mp3 file, before you upload. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
I think I’ve also fixed the problems with silences.
Thanks for your indication about the mispronunciation of the word ‘public’. I’ve already corrected it also.
silences and public now are totally good.

Careful with your end silence...we need a standard of 5 seconds, yours is coming closer to 6 seconds. Maybe cut a bit there as well.

Let's figure out the amplification and then you are good to go :) If you are using Audacity, I can tell you an easy way to do it.

Sonia
cordajungfrau

Post by cordajungfrau »

Yes, I'm using Audacity, but I also needed my brain, which I wasn't fully using at the moment.
According to useful Checker now the volume is 88,6 db.
So I've amplified with +7 and I've cut 0.9 second from the final silence:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
cordajungfrau
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cordajungfrau wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:48 pmAccording to useful Checker now the volume is 88,6 db.
So I've amplified with +7 and I've cut 0.9 second from the final silence:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw034_elmalcacador_maragall_cj_128kb.mp3
:clap: yes excellent, now it's definitely PL ok. Congrats on your first finished section. More to come hopefully. :)

The problem with the volume really came here from some very loud parts and very low parts. It is better for a listener if you don't change volume too much during the recording. They might turn up the volume in the low parts, and then jump out of their skin when you start with a loud HUZZAH ! :wink:

Sonia
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi :) I'll be sure to post something for the collection at a later date as per tradition. :)
Right now I just wanted to point out that the PD-ness date in the opening post should be changed to 1927. (the first blue passage in point 1)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
cordajungfrau

Post by cordajungfrau »

Hi, Sonia,
Thanks for your patience and enthusiasm.
More to come soon, the later next week. I already have several recordings, but I must apply what I've learned with you before uploading. :)
Corda
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:08 am Right now I just wanted to point out that the PD-ness date in the opening post should be changed to 1927. (the first blue passage in point 1)
Thank you, Piotrek! I remember telling myself the same thing when I launched this volume in the last week of December. :)

Michael