[SOLO][Adventure]The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades by G. A. Henty - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades, by G. A. Henty (1832 - 1902)
Coming later! (Summary by mungojerry311)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13354

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades, by G. A. Henty.
Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades, by G. A. Henty.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Boy Knight: A Tale Of The Crusades, by G. A. Henty."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: boyknight_##_henty_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. boyknight_01_henty_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Happy to DPL if you wish
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello both

I can MC this, will be back with the MW soon. I see this is your first solo, so if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, MW is ready to be filled out. Since you are already BC of a group project, you seem to know your way around. ;)

Paul is added as DPL and has MW access as well.

I see you opted to say "chapter" instead of "section". This is up to you, and if the chapters are short enough and don't risk needing to get split, this is a good option, otherwise to be on the safe side, "section" is the better option to make it less messy. Your choice.

Ok, I'll just wait until you have both seen this, then we can move to Going Solo...have fun. :)

Sonia
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Thanks Sonia 👍
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

Kitty wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:39 am All right, MW is ready to be filled out. Since you are already BC of a group project, you seem to know your way around. ;)

Paul is added as DPL and has MW access as well.

I see you opted to say "chapter" instead of "section". This is up to you, and if the chapters are short enough and don't risk needing to get split, this is a good option, otherwise to be on the safe side, "section" is the better option to make it less messy. Your choice.

Ok, I'll just wait until you have both seen this, then we can move to Going Solo...have fun. :)

Sonia
I do in fact know my way around. I'm BCing my second group project here and I've also coordinated a few weekly/fortnightly poetry projects as well.

I use "chapter" since in this project the section numbers and chapter numbers in the book will match up. I did the same thing with "History Of Japan." It's also what the soloist did in another Henty book I'm listening to, "The Cat Of Bubastes."

I'll now get to entering in the chapter titles in the MW. This is my first solo, so I'll try to have fun!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mungojerry311 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 2:51 pmI use "chapter" since in this project the section numbers and chapter numbers in the book will match up.
yes as I said, if they match up it's quite convenient. I'd only be cautious if one needs to get split, then "section" is the better choice.

All right, we can move to Going Solo then. Have fun, you two. I'll be checking in if there are any questions.

Sonia
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

I'm checking in with my required update. This hasn't been abandoned. I tried recording the first chapter earlier this month and voice deteriorated after about 10 minutes of reading. I'll have to find a way to record longer chapters and keep my voice more intact. Maybe someone more experienced at this than me can help? Anyway, my goal is to have the first two chapters done by the end of February. I want to take my time with this and get it right.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

mungojerry311 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:54 pm I'm checking in with my required update. This hasn't been abandoned. I tried recording the first chapter earlier this month and voice deteriorated after about 10 minutes of reading. I'll have to find a way to record longer chapters and keep my voice more intact. Maybe someone more experienced at this than me can help? Anyway, my goal is to have the first two chapters done by the end of February. I want to take my time with this and get it right.
I had this problem and a couple of things helped me.

Hot fluids before I start and topped up as needed.

Also getting my mic setup well so I wasn't artificially restricting breaths to avoid breath noise.

Hope that helps. I'm happy you're taking your time as I've moved countries and jobs so am slammed at the moment. I'll have to apologise to my other projects...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mungojerry311 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:54 pmI tried recording the first chapter earlier this month and voice deteriorated after about 10 minutes of reading. I'll have to find a way to record longer chapters and keep my voice more intact. Maybe someone more experienced at this than me can help?
I have so many sections under my belt already but still I cannot read longer passages in one go.

If I have a long chapter, I usually make breaks after 10 to 15 minutes maximum. In Audacity you can easily stop the recording, and continue after an hour of rest if you wish. Sometimes I use the resting time to already edit and cut out my "rubbish" from the 10 minutes I just recorded. That way the final editing time is reduced. When the editing is done, my voice is back in shape and I can record the next 10 minutes :lol: and so on.

So a chapter with an end result of 45 minutes may well have been recorded in 6 small sessions of 10 minutes (including errors and repeats), and another hour and a half's worth of editing or so. I'm not a fast recorder as you can see. But I find these short sessions less tedious (especially the editing) than doing it all in one go.

With practice you'll find your rhythm and the way you prefer to work. Just try out a few different approaches and see what suits you best.
Anyway, my goal is to have the first two chapters done by the end of February. I want to take my time with this and get it right.
:thumbs: very laudable. I would even say, concentrate on one chapter at a time, finish that one and upload it and get feedback, then proceed with the next. Having one chapter done gives you a great sense of achievement.

Good luck ! And thank you for checking in regularly with a short update status :)

Sonia
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

Here's a quick update since I realize I didn't do one at the end of last month. This project still hasn't been abandoned. The opportunities to record that I thought I had when I started this have not materialized, at least not yet anyway.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

mungojerry311 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 4:14 pm Here's a quick update since I realize I didn't do one at the end of last month. This project still hasn't been abandoned. The opportunities to record that I thought I had when I started this have not materialized, at least not yet anyway.
Ok - thanks for the update
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

mungojerry311 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 4:14 pm Here's a quick update since I realize I didn't do one at the end of last month. This project still hasn't been abandoned. The opportunities to record that I thought I had when I started this have not materialized, at least not yet anyway.
Hey there mungojerry - how's it going?
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

PaulWelford wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:25 am
Hey there mungojerry - how's it going?
I'm doing fine. All I can say is that I still haven't abandoned this. I going to start this at some point, I just don't know when.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey there, are you still around ? Could you maybe give a short sign of life as update, so we know this project is still on your mind ;)

Thanks

Sonia