[RELIGION/HISTORY] The Spirit of Islam by Syed Ameer Ali - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The Spirit of Islam : A History of the Evolution and Ideals of Islam, with a Life of the Prophet, by Syed Ameer Ali (1849 - 1928)
Syed Ameer Ali was a prominent Indian jurist, author and political leader during the British Raj. In The Spirit of Islam he draws on his broad knowledge of Islamic and Western sources to analyze the history and principles of Islam, seeking to reconcile religious tradition with challenges of modernity. (Summary by Kazbek)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t36115s6g&view=1up&seq=9

Target completion date: 2023-05-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Spirit of Islam : A History of the Evolution and Ideals of Islam, with a Life of the Prophet. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Spirit of Islam by Syed Ameer Ali. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Spirit of Islam by Syed Ameer Ali. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Spirit of Islam : A History of the Evolution and Ideals of Islam, with a Life of the Prophet, by Syed Ameer Ali."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: spiritofislam_##_ali_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. spiritofislam_01_ali_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
czandra

Post by czandra »

I'll certainly PL the first 4 chapters, and maybe beyond. Do not hesitate to accept a DPL though!

Czandra
Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

Section 1, for example, is fine, as far as I can tell! Except the opening poem itself in Arabic, I can't vouch for. You chose not to read the letter because it has no translation?

Czandra
Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

czandra

Post by czandra »

Section 2 has PL notes. I'm being forward here, because I can be of service today.

there is an English translation of the opening poem which I appreciate, but which is not in the text. I wish you could leave it, but I'm not sure....

at 4:50 Aceldama pronunciation seems to have the "l" in the wrong place?

10:20 skipped a line "march of nations.... spirit of unrest..."

26:05 Sakti of Siva. I hear "Sakti or Siva".

Interesting and cynical synopsis! I'd like to keep on to the next section.

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

Section 3 PL okay.

Cz

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

czandra wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:17 am I'll certainly PL the first 4 chapters, and maybe beyond. Do not hesitate to accept a DPL though!
Thank you, Czandra! I've noted your intention in the MW and will address your PL notes tonight.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

czandra wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:30 am Section 1, for example, is fine, as far as I can tell! Except the opening poem itself in Arabic, I can't vouch for. You chose not to read the letter because it has no translation?
Yes, we regard front matter as optional, so I skipped the Quranic quote and the letter because there was no translation (also because I can't read the handwriting in the letter). I'll mark it PL OK.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

czandra wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 1:20 pm Section 2 has PL notes. I'm being forward here, because I can be of service today.
Yes, this is great. Please don't hold back. Special thanks for following along with the text!
there is an English translation of the opening poem which I appreciate, but which is not in the text. I wish you could leave it, but I'm not sure....
The translation is in an appendix. The page number is in the MW.
at 4:50 Aceldama pronunciation seems to have the "l" in the wrong place?

10:20 skipped a line "march of nations.... spirit of unrest..."

26:05 Sakti of Siva. I hear "Sakti or Siva".
These changes are ready for PL. I replaced the whole phrase at 10:17-10:26. The Aramaic word Aceldama ( haqel d'ma) is cognate with the Arabic haqal al-dam, so I really shouldn't have garbled that one, but I did!

Michael
czandra

Post by czandra »

Kazbek wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 7:39 pm
The translation is in an appendix. The page number is in the MW.

Michael
I always read along when PL'ing, and then fear the reader will think me too nit-picky. But I cringe when I come across PL'ing that is much less than that, despite my dedication to inclusiveness at LV!

I really must pay more attention to the MW. I forget it will appear in the catalogue, and so can be an important piece of info.

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

s. 4. Wow. beyond worst nightmares every night for a year, nightmares that you can't even have because they wake you up as soon as they begin! I knew some of this, but had sublimated it, and had no real sense of the vast expanse of iniquity. How did people ever begin to think this is what it is to be human? No doubt but that the author has done his homework. It dove-tails with some readings I did from Mme. Blavatsky, though she referred to the results of ideological differences with little more than a curled lip, as it were.

at 5:21 I hear closed, not clothed. "Clothed" reappears at 6:25, so you could cut and paste from there.

34:16 I hear tile not tie.

I'll listen on, please, but one section or so at a time.

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

section 2 is PL okay.

Cz

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

czandra wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:24 am s. 4. Wow. beyond worst nightmares every night for a year, nightmares that you can't even have because they wake you up as soon as they begin! I knew some of this, but had sublimated it, and had no real sense of the vast expanse of iniquity. How did people ever begin to think this is what it is to be human? No doubt but that the author has done his homework. It dove-tails with some readings I did from Mme. Blavatsky, though she referred to the results of ideological differences with little more than a curled lip, as it were.

at 5:21 I hear closed, not clothed. "Clothed" reappears at 6:25, so you could cut and paste from there.

34:16 I hear tile not tie.
I still remember the first time I read the story of Hypatia in my general history textbook many years ago. I think it was the single most memorable episode in the whole volume. Section 4 is ready for spot PL.
I'll listen on, please, but one section or so at a time.
Thanks! I'll upload the last part of the introduction later this week.

Michael
czandra

Post by czandra »

4 is PLokay.

H. invented the astrolabe. Though memorable, I wonder if her death was in vain, given current events. Same sense I get with Ukrainians book. Surely Supreme Being is a saint of patience!

Cz

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Section 5 is ready for PL.
czandra

Post by czandra »

A Herculean reading, Kazbek! In the face of which I'm loathe to point out tiny faults. But I perceive an aspiration to perfection in your mode, so here goes:

On pp. lix or so you pronounce Joktan with a soft J ("y') throughout, but at 8:27 you use the hard J. In all other names, "J" is pronounced with the hard consonant (ex. Jurhum at 12:18; Judis at 14:38).

17:44 or nearby: Eber OR Heber (you say "and")
31:20 Aldobaran - some dyslexia here :wink:
33:08 text: in the case of death read: as in the case of death
36:15: I hear effect instead of effort

Did you report to Hathitrust the duplication of pp. lvi and lvii?

Thank you for this amazing synopsis of the migrations and subjugations of peoples.

Czandra