COMPLETE Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees (1887 - 1978)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/lud-in-the-mist-by-hope-mirrlees/

Volunteers outside the USA: Hope Mirrlees died in 1978. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Nathaniel Chanticleer, staid and respectable mayor of Lud-in-the-Mist, wants nothing more than to preserve the traditions of his city and the dignity of his quiet, rational life. But the denizens of Faerie, whose lands lie disquietingly close, have other ideas for Lud-in-the-Mist and its citizens. (Summary by Nicole J. LeBoeuf)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/68061

Target completion date: 2023-06-21

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: zAhTt45i
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Mirrlees (Hope Mirrlees)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud-in-the-Mist
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1926
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Nicole J. LeBoeuf
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fantasy, fairy tales, fairy, faerie

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lud-in-the-Mist. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope Mirrlees."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ludinthemist_##_mirrlees_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ludinthemist_01_mirrlees_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by NicoleJLeBoeuf on January 4th, 2023, 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

After remembering my previous read-through of this book, and how ornate the text can be, I changed the requested PL level to Word Perfect. I hope that's OK. If that sounds excessive to y'all, we can change it back to Standard.
Say hi on Mastodon!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. My opinion on the level of PL you are looking for is, since this is your project, you can set it up the way that you think is best. But, we might be waiting a little bit for a DPL who is willing to take one a project with a request for word perfect. If you are willing to wait for that person, I don't mind. You can go ahead and record away!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

I'm so pleased someone is doing this book. I'd planned to do it next year if no one picked it up.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

icequeen wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:20 pm OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. My opinion on the level of PL you are looking for is, since this is your project, you can set it up the way that you think is best. But, we might be waiting a little bit for a DPL who is willing to take one a project with a request for word perfect. If you are willing to wait for that person, I don't mind. You can go ahead and record away!
I'm willing to wait a bit to see if we can pick up a DPL at word-perfect level, and begin recording in the meantime. The language in this book really deserves it, I think. I know of and have worked with at least one person who PLs at that level, and could shoot them a message and see if they're interested. And/or I could go post in the Prooflisteners Wanted area with the template and all? I'm not so clear on when one does that, or whether that's an MC or a BC thing to do. Still relatively new at this.
Timothy Ferguson wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:49 am I'm so pleased someone is doing this book. I'd planned to do it next year if no one picked it up.
I love this book and am so very much looking forward to reading it! It never occurred to me that it might be entering public domain so soon, so when I saw it posted under Suggested Books my jaw just dropped.

But you shouldn't let this stop you doing your own reading if you want to - Librivox encourages multiple readings, right? :wink:
Say hi on Mastodon!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

How about PM'ing that person to see if they are available to PL word perfect. If they are not available, then we can advertise for one.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

icequeen wrote: December 24th, 2022, 10:59 pm How about PM'ing that person to see if they are available to PL word perfect. If they are not available, then we can advertise for one.
I have in fact just done that! Although checking back, I misremembered: the projects I've worked with them on have not been marked as word perfect, but "Special", with the note that they'd be following along with the text. Which is close, I guess?

Anyway, I'll let you know what they say.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I can be the DPL! I'll be happy to do word-perfect PLing.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thank you so much, Sarah! This is the best news to wake up to on Christmas morning! (Er, afternoon. 8-) )

I have accordingly removed the tilde from the thread title.

Sections are set up for real, based on word count and my own experience thus far of 1800 words being a little more than 10 minutes and 5500 being just shy of 40. If it turns out I've estimated incorrectly, I'll massage things as we go.

I'm just finishing up reading for The Jade Storybook - I will try to be very good and wait until I've completed those files before starting here, despite what a temptation this wonderful book is...
Say hi on Mastodon!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Scarbo wrote: December 25th, 2022, 5:18 am I can be the DPL! I'll be happy to do word-perfect PLing.

Thank you Sarah! You have access to the MW now!

Since our team is complete, we are off to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Yay!

A couple notes, because I am apparently obsessed with this book:

* Looking for how other people pronounce "Dorimare," found a sound-clip from the commercial recording in which Neil Gaiman, in his introduction, says "mare" like horses rather than "marr" like stains, so, I guess if it's good enough for Neil Gaiman it's good enough for me. But part of me is going "The existing commercial audiobook is read by Eleanor Bron and Neil Gaiman? NO PRESSURE, NO PRESSURE AT ALL..."

* That same introduction mentions that the song which appears a few chapters in is adapted from/based on a medieval folk song called Robin Goodfellow. I hoped that meant we'd have a nicely public domain melody for me to sing it to, but I haven't quite found one. I did track down (thank you LiederNet Archive) a composition of it by Peter Warlock (and I tip my hat to his chutzpah in choosing a pseudonym btw). The composition was published in 1927, but the composer lived and worked in Great Britain, so I don't think we can assume the composition becomes public domain next year like we might if it were a US publication. On the other hand, I have no intention of reproducing that operatic tenor solo anyway. But I could probably make up something very loosely based on it for the character to warble when the time comes.

Did I mention obsessed? Re-reading the book now and WOW I had forgotten about Duke Aubrey in Chapter 2. Ye Gods, that man was made of trigger warnings. Nothing explicit on the page, but - yikes!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Incidentally, I love Peter Warlock! I hadn't listened to his setting of "Robin Goodfellow" in a while, so thanks for putting that back on my radar. It's so cool to discover links like that between music and literature. (By the way, Warlock also wrote a setting of Ford Madox Ford's poem "Consider.")
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: December 26th, 2022, 5:19 pm (By the way, Warlock also wrote a setting of Ford Madox Ford's poem "Consider.")
Well, it's a small darn world and no mistake!

I had not yet the pleasure of Warlock's acquaintance, and now I'm intrigued! Looks like my library has a copy of "My Own Country" available via Hoopla...

Addendum, dumbfounded: Wait. Wait wait wait. I just found some sheet music on Scribd to one of his songs, for "Lullaby", lyrics by one Thomas Dekker, and--it's the Beatles song. It's the "Golden slumbers" song. TALK about small world. *checks Wikipedia* Oh, that's hilarious:
"Golden Slumbers" is based on the poem "Cradle Song" from the play Patient Grissel, a lullaby by the dramatist Thomas Dekker. McCartney saw sheet music for "Cradle Song" at his father's home in Liverpool, left on a piano by his stepsister Ruth. Unable to read music, he created his own music.
New game proposal! Six Degrees of Peter Warlock!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cool, I never noticed the similar lyrics in the two songs!

As for Six Degrees, Warlock was friends (for a time) with another favorite writer of mine, D.H. Lawrence. Eventually the friendship ended in discord and Lawrence wound up lampooning Warlock as the character Halliday in Women in Love. :lol:

Sarah