COMPLETE[PLAY]Lords of Creation by Thayer - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lords of Creation, by Ella Cheever Thayer (1849 - 1925)
"A Woman Suffrage Drama in Three Acts". One of the first Suffragette plays. Not very even handed perhaps - you are left wondering why men have any right to vote.... "Ah! my daughter, how foolish, how blind I have been! But the scales have fallen from my eyes at last, and I thank God for the great gift of my daughter."
(Summary by ToddHW)
This project is complete. Audio files may be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/lords-of-creation-by-ella-cheever-thayer/

It says drama in the subtitle, but it does not look like it will really be so. More amusing, methinks.

Gender neutral casting, of course.

Scarbo suggested this play, and she will be our DPL.

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/63198

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: sTzDj1N9
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Cheever_Thayer (Ella Cheever Thayer)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 36
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1883
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: suffrage, mind of her own, more money than brains

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Lords of Creation, by Ella Cheever Thayer. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lords of Creation, by Ella Cheever Thayer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: lordsofcreation_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. lordsofcreation_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: lordsofcreation_#_thayer_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. lordsofcreation_1_thayer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I put in for Mr. Grovenor?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Alas, you didn't wait until I finished the MW - including putting in my claim on that role.

Sorry, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

May I play the posh Harold? :)
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Todd, do you have a preference about whether stage directions like "L" and "R" are read "left" and "right" instead? And whether characters' names that are abbreviated in the text are read unabbreviated (e.g., "Mr. Grovenor" instead of "Mr. G.")?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Please read unabbreviated.

Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ToddHW wrote: December 17th, 2022, 1:54 pm Alas, you didn't wait until I finished the MW - including putting in my claim on that role.

Sorry, Todd
Well, how about Mr. Endicott then?
It was a toss up between them.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I think he is sorta the hero.

Todd
Laur

Post by Laur »

May I please claim:
Kate Grovenor, who has a Mind of her own?
Last edited by Laur on December 18th, 2022, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Laur

Post by Laur »

Question Clarification please:
At the beginning of the file, do you just want the name of the character, OR, the name + description of the character?
Thanks.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Jennie?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Jim, the Coachman, please
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

And I'll take life easy - for a while - as Eugene, if you please. :)
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.