Emma Thompson's Evocative Delivery

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

This 5 minute video, Emma Thompson's moving tribute to Alan Rickman, I share with you, because it is full of plosives, lip smacks, mike bumps, loud breaths, suck ups, and all the things we try to scrub out of our recordings. But they make this delivery so much more authentic, it's got me thinking . . . . .
Comments welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9b0rLQYUc
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:27 am This 5 minute video, Emma Thompson's moving tribute to Alan Rickman, I share with you, because it is full of plosives, lip smacks, mike bumps, loud breaths, suck ups, and all the things we try to scrub out of our recordings. But they make this delivery so much more authentic, it's got me thinking . . . . .
Comments welcome.

Well, I'll be the ignorant one and say that I know neither of these people.

My comment, however, is that there is a vast difference between what is given as a live speech and a recorded audio book. They are different media with different purposes. You will hear none of these in a professionally recorded and produced audio book. What I can get away with on Sunday morning is not the same as what I strive for in a recorded piece where I can edit and have access to post production tools.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: December 16th, 2022, 4:45 pm
msfry wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:27 am This 5 minute video, Emma Thompson's moving tribute to Alan Rickman, I share with you, because it is full of plosives, lip smacks, mike bumps, loud breaths, suck ups, and all the things we try to scrub out of our recordings. But they make this delivery so much more authentic, it's got me thinking . . . . .
Comments welcome.

Well, I'll be the ignorant one and say that I know neither of these people.

My comment, however, is that there is a vast difference between what is given as a live speech and a recorded audio book. They are different media with different purposes. You will hear none of these in a professionally recorded and produced audio book. What I can get away with on Sunday morning is not the same as what I strive for in a recorded piece where I can edit and have access to post production tools.
Alan Rickman most famously played Snape in the Harry Potter series. Emma Thompson starred in many Shakespeare plays as well as a very long string of hit movies including Best Actress in Howard's End, and my all-time favorite comedy, she played Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing. They starred together in Love Actually, a Christmas flick.

I certainly agree with what you say about the different mediums. But when narrating someone's speech, eulogy or sermon that was delivered live, or when performing some emotional dialogue in a novel or dramatic production, or even if the author is wound up about their topic or trying to be funny, then emotive delivery may sound more authentic. I don't think it would work for reading introductions, scenic descriptions, government reports or recipes, for example.

Anyway, I hope to get just such feedback as you have offered. Thanks.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Deep psychological comment incoming 1,2,3...

My approach is that realism has SOME place in audio narration; real people use subtle breathing/sighs as part of being angry, surprised, appreciative & c. I've never taken an acting course in my life. I'm sure that there's some acting method [!] that does this: BE the emotion that you are trying to express. You are narrating someone who is terrified running from Count Dracula in his castle. They scream: Nooooo! They are going to feel their emotions and breaths before they scream out.

I would NEVER use a tool that took all the breaths out at once.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It depends what you are aiming for, we describe ourselves as readers not narrators. So if you aim to be a story reader. reading aloud to your children or a sick person or to a group of people sewing or to your wife in the evening while she mended your shirt, that seems satisfactory to me. Personally I only enjoy "voices" when I don't notice they are there because they come naturally (and that applies to commercial recording too :D )

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: December 16th, 2022, 7:54 pm It depends what you are aiming for, we describe ourselves as readers not narrators. So if you aim to be a story reader. reading aloud to your children or a sick person or to a group of people sewing or to your wife in the evening while she mended your shirt, that seems satisfactory to me. Personally I only enjoy "voices" when I don't notice they are there because they come naturally (and that applies to commercial recording too :D )

Anne
I don't know who "we" are, but I describe myself as a narrator where narration seems right, and as a reader when I'm just reading. One of the fun things about the Librivox Audiobook App is that they serve up a bunch of old radio programs -- detective stories, horror, etc., often dramatic productions with sound effects. The other day we listened to War Of The Worlds as it was originally broadcast and imagined ourselves grouped around an old radio. That was definitely a narration! We felt in some ways more engrossed in the story without having to process visual images and despite the crackly sound quality. It showed off the power of the writing and the skill of the readers bringing it to life.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Although most LibriVox readers are not technically professionals, some are better narrators than others. That probably makes many of us who are average readers self conscious about clicky mouth sounds, odd nasal sounds, etc. thinking we’re not doing it quite right, so we may shy away from taking the plunge of recording something we would really like to do, especially for a friend or a relative. Several years ago I realized the narrator isn’t as important as telling the story, when I downloaded a book for my mother-in-law, who was losing her eyesight. When I asked how she liked the book she said it was very good. She then commented “I didn’t really like the reader, but I appreciate that he was reading to Me!”

That made me realize the importance of the personal connection between the reader and the listener.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: December 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm That made me realize the importance of the personal connection between the reader and the listener.
A few months ago I realized I was saying "read for you by" instead of the customary "read by" in the Intros of my recordings. This was completely spontaneous, because I agree with your statement and do hope to entertain or educate whomever is listening, and hope they feel that from me. I also do my best to clean up my files to make up with technology what I may not quite deliver in "professionalism" -- maybe too much.

And by the way, I know several people who download Audible books regularly, who say some of their paid readers are not very "professional". So pick material you like a lot, pour your enthusiasm into it, and read away! It's what we are here for.