Question on Communication - Discord

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

barleyguy wrote: February 20th, 2023, 11:18 am I hate to be the negative one here, but if Librivox was ever to move to Discord as a required form of communication, I would probably stop volunteering here. That same statement applies to Facebook as well, and any other public social media platforms. Any platform that requires creating a global login (meaning a login that's not isolated to just that specific community), and possibly gathers information about users, is not a platform I'm willing to use.

(For context, my perspective does not come from ignorance, but quite the opposite. I am a retired DevOps engineer.)

Like I said, apologies for being the negative one regarding this topic. But just wanted to represent those of us who would not agree to this if it ever came to pass.
I have to second that. Discord has some of the worst data retention policies of any software.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No one is considering or (to my knowledge) has even proposed making discord or any other external app/service/website mandatory. If someone did propose a move like this to be mandatory, I feel very confident that the admin team would unanimously reject the proposal. We like our forum and it works, and this is where all of the official LV stuff is going to stay for the foreseeable future.

Discord has been proposed as an additional and totally optional method of communicating with each other in an informal way, but so far this proposal has not gone anywhere. As far as I can see, there's not much we can do with discord that we can't do in the Off-Topic forum.

To say the same thing in fewer words: No need to worry. No one will be required to do anything they don't already do in order to continue to volunteer at LibriVox.
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

mightyfelix wrote: February 20th, 2023, 11:01 pm No one is considering or (to my knowledge) has even proposed making discord or any other external app/service/website mandatory. If someone did propose a move like this to be mandatory, I feel very confident that the admin team would unanimously reject the proposal. We like our forum and it works, and this is where all of the official LV stuff is going to stay for the foreseeable future.

Discord has been proposed as an additional and totally optional method of communicating with each other in an informal way, but so far this proposal has not gone anywhere. As far as I can see, there's not much we can do with discord that we can't do in the Off-Topic forum.

To say the same thing in fewer words: No need to worry. No one will be required to do anything they don't already do in order to continue to volunteer at LibriVox.
Cool, thanks. :-)

My fear really is that if it starts becoming another avenue of communication, people would start using it beyond its initial purpose. For example, I go to sign up for a part in a DR, and the MC says "We're getting together to discuss our parts, please join us over on Discord." At which point I would have the social challenge of saying "I don't use Discord."

I fully understand that nobody has proposed and definitely not approved having this, but I feel obligated to give my perspective, so things don't go a direction that will push me away (along with other people that have my same perspective).

IMO the forum definitely meets the needs of the community and the goal of creating audiobooks. It's quite functional / awesome.

Cheers,

Harley.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)