[COMPLETE] Death-bed Visions by William Barrett-cmm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Soll

Post by Soll »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: [catalog page URL]https://librivox.org/death-bed-visions-by-william-fletcher-barrett/

https://archive.org/details/b29813992/page/n6/mode/1up?view=theater

Death-bed Visions, by William Barrett
In his book Death-bed Visions, William Barrett was "anxious to prove that even people who have been skeptical all their lives of any survival after death have sometimes given evidence that at the very end they knew there was an afterlife." Mr. Barrett gave "considerable time and thought to the subject, and looked forward to making the groups of cases as complete and representative as possible before publication. This, however, was not to be, for he himself, in the midst of active work, passed suddenly into 'that little-known country' towards which his thought had so often taken wing." (excerpted from the the Preface to Death-bed Visions)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b29813992/page/n6/mode/1up?view=theater

Target completion date: 2023-07-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: death, parapsychology, deathbed visions

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Death-bed Visions. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Death-bed Visions, by Timothy Barrett. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Death-bed Visions, by Timothy Barrett. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Death-bed Visions, by Timothy Barrett."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: deathbedvisions_##_barrett_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. deathbedvisions_01_barrett_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: colleenmc

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Soll, I can take this one!

Two things -

1) Are you including the editor's preface as a separate chapter? If so you might want to start the section numbering from 0 and have a total of 7 sections. I would include the preface as its own section because it seems pretty substantial (and gives background info on the author dying before the work was completed), and it's long enough that it can stand on its own rather than being run together with the Introduction chapter.

2) The summary is taken from a Google Books listing for a 2011 edition. The text you are reading from is PD, but any extra material (like an intro or explanatory notes, which this summary appears to be quoting) in the 2011 book would be under copyright. Best thing to do would be a write a summary in your own words to make sure we don't end up with anything that isn't public domain.

Once we have those ironed out, I'll make your MW and get this rolling!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Soll

Post by Soll »

Hi. Thanks for the comments.

#1: I do not plan to include the preface

#2: Here's a summary adapted from the preface:

In his book Death-bed Visions, William Barrett was "anxious to prove that even people who have been skeptical all their lives of any survival after death have sometimes given evidence that at the very end they knew there was an afterlife." Mr. Barrett gave "considerable time and thought to the subject, and looked forward to making the groups of cases as complete and representative as possible before publication. This, however, was not to be, for he himself, in the midst of active work, passed suddenly into 'that little-known country' towards which his thought had so often taken wing." (excerpted from the the Preface to Death-bed Visions).

Thanks again!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Great, thanks! Stay tuned for the Magic Window coming up shortly!
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

MW is ready. I'm going to leave this on the launchpad for a day or two to see if a proof listener signs on.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Soll

Post by Soll »

Great, thanks!

Chapter titles inputted. And first two chapters recorded and uploaded. :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Looks good so far. Can you put the time length of the recordings into the MW as well?

Thanks,

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to serve as your DPL.
File lengths in the MW notes column are a great help

:hmm: I don't see the project number in the forum link. Shouldn't it start with 95? I don't know what 2129426 is.
I use these links in my spreadsheet so I can find the thread easily.
~ Larry
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks for volunteering for the proof-listening! I will get you entered into the info for the project and then this thread will be in the solo projects.

The correct forum link is viewtopic.php?t=95674

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Soll

Post by Soll »

Yes, thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Soll

I'm always to hear new soloists, and I think you are doing quite well with your reading.

I just have a few notes for your considerations.

Chapter 1.

Opening silence should be no more than 1 second, so this needs to be trimmed back.
There is a very distracting background noise which actually sounds like over done volume adjustment. I did two passes of noise reduction which reduced this to a more acceptable level.

At the end, please include, "End of Chapter One"

Chapter 2.

Same comments about the silence at the beginning, and at the end a bit over the 5 seconds, but that is not as critical, and the background distortion was not as great, but I did one pass of noise reduction which helped. You can decide if you want to to these reductions for these two sections.

At the end, please include, "End of Chapter Twi"

Then, a couple of reading errors that need correction:

0:55 Text: “Clapton” I hear, “Clampton”
3:04 stumble “then – then she gently pushed him to one side”

Just upload your corrected files under the same name and post the links here again with new file lenghts.

I'm look forward to hearing the rest of this book! :)
~ Larry
Soll

Post by Soll »

Ok, I'll take a look, thanks.

One Q: You mention 'passes of noise reduction'. Does that mean the files now on the LV servers are different than those I uploaded?

Thanks again!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Soll wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:30 pm Ok, I'll take a look, thanks.

One Q: You mention 'passes of noise reduction'. Does that mean the files now on the LV servers are different than those I uploaded?

Thanks again!
No. That was just to see if the noise reduction would help, so I could make a sensible recommendation. I think I have my settings as 12 dB Sensitivity 6 and Frequency Smoothing 3 which I believe are the default settings. You can use the initial or closing silences for the Noise Profile. If there is still background noise after running the effect, then repeating the process usually takes care of it. We aren't real stringent about this, but I'm just giving you suggestions to get you a little better quality audio.

If you need any help with this, let me know.
~ Larry
Soll

Post by Soll »

I revised the files (including chapter sign-off, correction of the 2 reading miscues, tinkering with noise reduction, etc.) and re-uploaded.

Thanks.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Soll wrote: December 18th, 2022, 12:46 am I revised the files (including chapter sign-off, correction of the 2 reading miscues, tinkering with noise reduction, etc.) and re-uploaded.

Thanks.
Okay, I'll take a listen. It would help me, though, if you would toggle the status to "Ready for Spot PL." That way I don't miss something or get confused. :wink:
~ Larry