[COMPLETE] Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13 - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, by Anonymous, translated by Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-the-thousand-nights-and-a-night-volume-13/
This is a collection of stories collected over thousands of years by various authors, translators, and scholars. They are an amalgam of mythology and folk tales from the Indian sub-continent, Persia, and Arabia. No original manuscript has ever been found for the collection, but several versions date the collection's genesis to somewhere between AD 800 and 900. The stories are wound together under the device of a long series of cliff-hangers told by Shahrazad to her husband to prevent him from executing her. In translating the Nights, R. F. Burton attempted to invent an English equivalent of medieval Arabic. In doing so, he drew upon Chaucerian English, Elizabethan English, and the 1653 English translation by Sir Thomas Urquhart of the first three books of Rabelais's Gargantua and Pantagruel (1532-1546). This thirteenth volume contains the following tales:
  • 1. The Tale of Zayn Al-Asnam
    2. Alaeddin; or, The Wonderful Lamp
    3. Khudadad and His Brothers
    • a. History of the Princess of Daryabar
    4. The Caliph's Night Adventure
    • a. The Story of the Blind Man, Baba Abdullah
      b. History of Sidi Nu'uman
      c. History of Khwajah Hasan Al-Habbal
    5. Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
    6. Ali Khwajah and the Merchant of Baghdad
    7. Prince Ahmad and the Fairy Peri-Banu
    8. The Two Sisters Who Envied Their Cadette
(Summary by based on Wikipedia article and Volume 13 itself)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3447/

Target completion date: 2023-06-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, by Anonymous, translated by Richard Francis Burton. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, by Anonymous, translated by Richard Francis Burton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, by Anonymous, translated by Richard Francis Burton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: arabiannights13_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. arabiannights13_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to MC this. The MW is coming up... eventually. The system is not cooperating at the moment.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ok, the MW is up. I have shortened the filename. The text of the intro is fine, but you could also drop "Supplemental Nights to", if you prefer. In the catalog, we should follow the title format of earlier volumes. I've added the special subtitle at the end:

The Book of A Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Volume 13 (Supplemental Nights)

Michael
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thank you, Michael. Starting with part 3 I will reduce the intro to "Part # # of the thousand nights and a night, anonymous, translated by Richard F. Burton." Okay? And I wonder if in the MW I could name each part "Part # # of Arabian Nights, the Tale of # #" (Aladdin or whomever). I will make an effort to end each tale at the end of a part, and I will try to keep each part to around half an hour.

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chymocles wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:04 pm Thank you, Michael. Starting with part 3 I will reduce the intro to "Part # # of the thousand nights and a night, anonymous, translated by Richard F. Burton." Okay? And I wonder if in the MW I could name each part "Part # # of Arabian Nights, the Tale of # #" (Aladdin or whomever). I will make an effort to end each tale at the end of a part, and I will try to keep each part to around half an hour.
Three different questions about the intros (and outros):

- It's more usual to say "section", but it's ok to use "part" instead, as long as you use the same term at the start of the intro and in the outro.
- All the intros should include "volume 13", since it won't be part # of the entire series.
- Burton's title is "The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night". It doesn't seem right to change it to "the thousand nights and a night".

It's up to you how to organize the titles in the MW. It can be what you suggest above, but you don't necessarily have to include the section number and book title in the MW titles. It can be just "The tale of such as such" and perhaps "part #", if you have to split some tales into multiple sections. One reason the word "section" is nice is that it leaves the word "part" available for internal subdivisions. For example, you could have:
"Section 4 of The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, by Anonymous, translated by Richard Francis Burton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Alaeddin; or, The Wonderful Lamp, part 2"
Just an idea. This is your call.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Also, although I entered the author as Anonymous in the catalog, in keeping with the earlier volumes, one could quibble with that term. To me, the book is by "anonymous" when it has an author who didn't make their name known to the public. For a text like this, which has evolved over the centuries, probably with contributions from many authors, I would say "by unknown author" instead. I think it would also be ok to skip that part in the intros. We always credit the author, but where the author is unknown, we can't really credit them.

I just looked up a random volume (of another translation) and it illustrates the ideas I mentioned above:

https://librivox.org/the-arabian-nights-entertainments-volume-3-by-anonymous/

Michael
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I'm relieved that I won't have to say "anonymous." That does seem to indicate a single author, whereas we are dealing with oral tradition here so that "the folk" would be a more accurate attribution. I'll just omit any mention of authorship—except for the translator, and I will use his full name.

I will definitely use "section" and "part" as you recommend.

As for the title, though, if you check the beginning of the Gutenberg file you will find it four times written with "the" and not "a." However, I have no objection to using whatever title the other readers have used.

I'm also pleased that the MW can be reader-friendly by identifying the central character.

I will need to reread the intros to the parts I have already recorded. They will go something like this:
Section # of The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13, translated by Richard Francis Burton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Read by Thomas Copeland. "Alaeddin; or, The Wonderful Lamp, part 2."
Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Sorry, you are correct. The title in this edition has a definite article: The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night. I just corrected it in the catalog. I had copied it from an earlier volume of in the catalog, where "the" was for some reason changed to "a". It does appear with both variants in different reprints, so I think either variant is ok.

Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I would like to DPL this project.
Christine
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Welcome, Christine. The first story can be found here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/supplementalnightstothebookofathousandnightsandanightvol13_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/supplementalnightstothebookofathousandnightsandanightvol13_02_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Enjoy.

I should mention that the text is imperfect. Below are the errata that I intend to submit to Gutenberg. Possibly you would prefer to wait to see them adopted, but in the past I have been asked by the compositors to delay submitting my missives until the end of the project so that they can deal with them all at once. That is okay with me if it's okay with you folks. If the PL level is "standard," I suppose you need not worry about these at all as long as the reading makes sense.

Errata in “The Tale of Zayn Al-Asnan”

499th:
O Zayn al-Asnam, though hast obeyed me in whatso I bade thee
Read “thou”

500TH:
Beware, O my son, of wasting this wealth as thou dissipatedst otheraforetime
Read “other aforetime”?

501th:
. . . but, O my shild Zayn al-Asnam, by what sign canst thou assure me of thy being the son of my old master
Read “child”

502th:
. . . salam to him and above all things beware lest thou step beyond this thy coth
Read “cloth” (i.e., his “waist shawl” that is “dispread before” him)

510th:
. . . so therewith me may cut short the waking hours of this our night
Read “we”
THen sent he forthright for the Kazi
Read “Then”

516th:
. . . and representative and æwhoso leaveth issue dieth not
Read “whoso”?
Inshallah ûGod willingû on the morrow I will visit her
Read “, God willing,”?

518th:
When it was ad the Five Hundred and Eighteenth Night
Read “When it was the”
Then Quoth I to myself, æO man,75 how long wilt thou wander
Read “O man”
by him who hath found mercy for that æwhoso leaveth issue is not wholly dead
Read “whoso”

519th:
thou goest about in such ungraciousness? 'tis a disgrace to thee and unsuitable for men like thyself.
Read “ ’Tis”

521th:
O my son, it besitteth thee to become familiar with the folk, especially with the merchants,
Read “befitteth” (This may have been converted from the ancient MS into a “long s” and so escaped correction during proofreading the copytext.)

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Great, I've added Christine as DPL and moved the thread to Going Solo.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Tom, could you use the shortened filename given in the first? arabiannights13_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Please remember to update the status to Ready for PL. :)

Thanks!
Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 1 is PL ok.
Thanks! Very enjoyable listening.
Christine
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, Christine. I'm working on Aladdin now but want to finish it so as to manage the divisions so as to make the parts of fairly equal length. I may not keep up with you.

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

chymocles wrote: December 13th, 2022, 8:49 pm Thanks, Christine. I'm working on Aladdin now but want to finish it so as to manage the divisions so as to make the parts of fairly equal length. I may not keep up with you.

Tom
Hey Tom, I am here whenever you need me! :D I have about 10 DPL projects and 5 reader projects so take your time. I love this stuff!
Best, Christine