[SOLO] Christian Astrology by William Lilly - pc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 5 ready for PL. [note the PDF page numbers in the MW]

7:56

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/christianastrology_005_lilly_128kb.mp3

There was a hiss of air through some cooling vents. This is a difficult time to record in mid summer. Interesting point that the Hali is not Halley [he wasn't born yet!]. Hali was the Arabic astrologer Haly Abenragel whose first name sounds about the same.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

2 and 5 are PL OK!

Did you change anything in your setup? It sounds a bit different but I just can't put my finger on what's changed. Maybe less echoey? :hmm:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:55 am 2 and 5 are PL OK!

Did you change anything in your setup? It sounds a bit different but I just can't put my finger on what's changed. Maybe less echoey? :hmm:
Section 3 is ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/christianastrology_003_lilly_128kb.mp3

Length 7: 51

NOTE in this section that I there was one Latin phrase that Lilly uses that I couldn't work out. After "avoid law and controversy: in thy study be" . I looked up Latin dictionaries and I could not work it out. So I put in my own phrase that makes sense. I only do this as a last resort. I worked out the other Latin phrases such as "conscientia mille testes" meaning "conscience is as good as a thousand witnesses" which is quite intuitive to me as a native English speaker i.e conscience testament etc.

I had some subtle changes to my microphone's position that can change echo. But no major changes! :lol:

Now I have made a change :mrgreen: For this section I have used my Rode Pod Mic. I got it last year when I was having those audio problems recording Yorkshire Battles; I was going to use t as a comparison microphone to diagnose the problem. Luckily I found that it was simply my microphone not seated. Thus I never used that microphone. Now I have taken it off the shelf to use!

Microphones that I have used so far in my LIbriVox recordings:

- Blue Snowball early on. Horrible high end. Almost as bad as a laptop Mic.
- Blue Yeti - used from then on until I recorded Yorkshire Battles.
- Rode NT1 - used after about 6 sections of Yorkshire Battles. Once I worked out how to seat it sounds great.
- Rode Pod Mic - used for this section 3.

This is the first "dynamic" microphone that I have used.

Good points: less clutter than the Rode NT1. Doesn't need a shock mount. Easier to see where to put the cable in. Easier to position where I want consistently.

Bad points: it's not meant to sound as good as the Rode NT1 and plosives can pop more often. Note that I don't use a pop filter.

In theory I should go back to the Rode NT1. But the Pod Mic has its good points. I am also finding my pic ups to be more organic with the Pod Mic because it has less bass and that negates my tendency to do very bass pick ups that standout.

Also because a dynamic microphone does not use phantom power I have to turn up the gain on my interface the whole way. Now this is not bad in itself. But it means that in general I will get a lower volume. I think that section 3 still sounds loud enough.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi LightCrystal. Reading your last post it sounds like you are recording your own translations of Latin phrases into English rather than reading the actual text; is this the case? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding what you seemed to say because LibriVox does not do anything but read the published text, as it is written.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: February 15th, 2023, 12:35 pm Hi LightCrystal. Reading your last post it sounds like you are recording your own translations of Latin phrases into English rather than reading the actual text; is this the case? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding what you seemed to say because LibriVox does not do anything but read the published text, as it is written.
Phil, no that is not the case. I will explain.

I am reading the Latin exactly as it is and the 1600s English exactly as it is. For instance I I say thou, durst, thy etc etc just as written.

BUT there are some complicated and unique issues created by this text. One issue is that sometimes the text gets faint or even misses letters. In this case this occurred with a Latin phrase. I tried everything that I could to work out what the Latin phrase was. But I could not work it out. That leaves me with a few options. Not say the phrase at all? Instead I decided to put in a phrase that made sense with the text. This is the ONLY time so far when I have had to do this.

To add to this there are mistakes in the book. Sometimes the English has spelling mistakes! Sometimes the Latin is spelled wrongly! Even a British place name was wrong! I looked it up and I was right to say it another way!

Another issue is that some words are similar to their meaning. For instance there was the word "chymurgury" meaning surgery. Now in my opinion those two words are SO similar that I am within my rights to say "surgery" which I did.

This is a complex text that presents unique problems. At least as a lifelong occultist I don';t have a problem with the symbols! That raises another point. Symbols have many possible answers: one symbol can be said as North Node or ascending node. Another symbol can be said as lots of fortune, part of fortune or Arabic parts of fortune. IN these cases I choose the answer that is used the most incurrent astrology.

This will make the top 10 list of the hardest books ever narrated on LibriVox. :lol:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks. I was just checking. You do deserve a lot of praise for the amount of time and effort you are putting into this very difficult text. :clap: :clap:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: February 15th, 2023, 1:52 pm Thanks. I was just checking. You do deserve a lot of praise for the amount of time and effort you are putting into this very difficult text. :clap: :clap:
Thanks! I am happy that your question affirmed that I am right to say the text as it is. There will be an audience for this audio narration. It is a popular text on Archive. I am narrating with people in mind who cannot, understandably, read the text. This will include both native English speakers and people for whom English is their second or foreign language. I am also speaking slowly with more pauses than usual to take the listener into account.

There are so many historically important aspects to this book that I touched upon the important ones in my summary. Christian Astrology is also a bit of a bridging point; Lilly uses many astrology texts of antiquity so the text uses the past while being in English for the first time.

For all the difficult aspects this is a fantastic text. I am like a kid in a lolly [or as Americans would say candy] shop! I haven't got to the chart interpretations yet which for me is the fun part.
Last edited by lightcrystal on February 15th, 2023, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi!

The latin phrase at 5:35 is "totus in illis". I think it means "wholly within" as in "totally focused". In thy study be totus in illis = Be totally focused in your studies.

At the end of your recording, you say "January", but that is a catchword on that page (shows the first word on the following page), so it doesn't belong in the recording.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 15th, 2023, 2:02 pm Hi!

The latin phrase at 5:35 is "totus in illis". I think it means "wholly within" as in "totally focused". In thy study be totus in illis = Be totally focused in your studies.

At the end of your recording, you say "January", but that is a catchword on that page (shows the first word on the following page), so it doesn't belong in the recording.
Thanks for that! I will do these pick ups as a spot check! :)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 15th, 2023, 2:02 pm Hi!

Spot PL pick ups done. Added in totus in illis at 5:35 and removed my placeholder phrase. Removed January catchword at the end of recording.

New length 7:49

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/christianastrology_003_lilly_128kb.mp3
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The portents are looking good for this difficult project! Keep it up! Image I see smooth sailing ahead.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: February 19th, 2023, 7:47 am The portents are looking good for this difficult project! Keep it up! Image I see smooth sailing ahead.
Nostradamus got a mention in an earlier section. I gave him his proper French first name said similar to Michelle. I expect him to return the favour by giving me good fortune. I will be spared plague and disaster.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 3 is spot-PL OK!

These extra difficult introductory sections are the perfect warm-up for the rest of the book!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 20th, 2023, 1:38 pm Section 3 is spot-PL OK!

These extra difficult introductory sections are the perfect warm-up for the rest of the book!
Thank you! :thumbs:
For such a huge project I am going to back up regularly. At least I am trying to: see my thread on backup systems.
viewtopic.php?t=96877