Can I record for LV using my iPhone's Voice Memos app and the old-fashioned Apple EarPods?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, I am Eunah Choi.
I would like to receive some advice regarding my recording setup.
I plan to make LV recordings of some short speeches that are in the public domain. Maybe I can submit those recordings to the current Short Nonfiction Collection 094.
The problem is that I want to use my iPhone 12 Mini, and as far as I know, there is no iOS version of Audacity. So, I want to use my iPhone's Voice Memos app to record for LV. Of course, I configured the recording file setting of the Voice Memos app to Uncompressed.
Is my iPhone's Voice Memos app suitable for making LV recordings? Or should I pay for a proffessional voice recorder app on the Apple App Store?
And one more question about the iPhone. I don't have an AirPods or any Bluetooth headset for my iPhone. I only have the old-fashioned EarPods that I have been using for almost seven years. Should I buy an AirPods or any expensive Bluetooth headset to make recordings for LV?
Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks in advance, and stay healthy.
Eunah Choi
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, Eunah Choi!

I'm not familiar with your equipment, but as long as you can produce MP3 files with the required technical specifications, you are free to use whatever works for you.
You'll also need to be able to edit your recordings, for repeats, misreads, etc.

If you're not sure how to set up your equipment, I'm sure there are other iPhone/Apple users that can guide you.🤞

You can always do the 1-min test just to see where you're at: if you need to fix anything in your recording setup, or if everything works as expected.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

A video tutorial on recording on an iPhone or iPad is available here: https://youtu.be/6qG6zUTYfbc
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I used TwistedWave and just the internal mic in my iPhone 12Pro for quite a while. I really liked the editing flow in TwistedWave.

You can hear how it sounded if you listen to the poems I did in Songs of the Outlands (https://librivox.org/songs-of-the-outlands-ballads-of-the-hoboes-and-other-verse-by-henry-herbert-knibbs/.

Have fun!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

stepheather wrote: November 18th, 2022, 10:16 pm I used TwistedWave and just the internal mic in my iPhone 12Pro for quite a while. I really liked the editing flow in TwistedWave.

You can hear how it sounded if you listen to the poems I did in Songs of the Outlands (https://librivox.org/songs-of-the-outlands-ballads-of-the-hoboes-and-other-verse-by-henry-herbert-knibbs/.

Have fun!
I thought it sounded great! I was surprised by the sound quality. Thought it would sound a bit clunky but no, it was really clear. Good work 👍
Thanks,
Adrian