Reading to our Children

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kayray

Post by kayray »

LauraKoskinen wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned Roald Dahl yet !!! Good Heavens!
Fantastic Mister Fox!

I'm lucky enough to own this one in hardback.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

kayray wrote:Laurie Anne! Going Places was my favorite too! I had a set of four nice big books with sort of brickwork covers, and Going Places was one of them. Still have them :)
That's the same set I have. :) I'll see if I can find the Shirley Hughes books as well.

I remember reading Roald Dahl's James and the Giant Peach when I was a child, but I remember very little of the plot. I'll have to see if I can scare that one up too.
Laurie Anne
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Roald Dahl's Big Friendly Giant or BFG, great book.
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Follow My Leader by James Garfield is a good book for kids aged 9-12. It's about a boy, Jimmie, who is blinded by a firecracker, and how he adjusts to his life of blindness and his adventures of getting his seeing eye dog.

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is also another great adventure for boys in the same age range! "On his way to visit his recently divorced father in the Canadian mountains, thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is the only survivor when the single-engine plane crashes. His body battered, his clothes in shreds, Brian must now stay alive in the boundless Canadian wilderness, with not much else but his hatchet, just given him by his mother."

The Secret History of Tom Trueheart by Ian Beck is another interesting tale..."Tom's six older brothers take after their father. Tom does not. The brothers are adventurers who go on dangerous quests in the Land of Stories. Tom stays home with his mother.

Tom's brothers are famous for the exciting endings they discover for the tales the Story Bureau assigns to them. Tom worries he will never have a story of his own.

But when his brothers fail to return from their adventures in time to celebrate Tom's 12th birthday, a letter from the Story Bureau arrives...addressed to Tom. It is up to him to find out why his brothers haven't completed their missions.

Tom packs his bags and kisses his mother good-bye. It turns out that he has his own story after all - and you are about to hear it.
Bloom where you’re planted!