[COMPLETE] Multilingual Short Works Collection 033 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dckabir wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:12 amOr if your friend from the 031 collection might oblige, we could reach out to them?
I have contacted the PLer from the last contribution, we'll see soon. :)

thank you

Sonia
ladylivre

Post by ladylivre »

Hi there! Here's my recording:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw033_demaindesaube_hugo_lp_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:12
Author: Victor Hugo
Title: “Demain, dès l’aube…”
Language: French
Text: https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Les_Contemplations/%C2%AB_Demain,_d%C3%A8s_l%E2%80%99aube,_%C3%A0_l%E2%80%99heure_o%C3%B9_blanchit_la_campagne_%C2%BB
Keywords: grief, scenery, journey
This is one of my first recordings for LibriVox, so I’d like to use Lauren as my catalog name, if that’s okay :)

Thank you!
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kitty wrote: September 25th, 2022, 9:28 am
dckabir wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:12 amOr if your friend from the 031 collection might oblige, we could reach out to them?
I have contacted the PLer from the last contribution, we'll see soon. :)

thank you

Sonia
Thank you Sonia :)
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ladylivre wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:23 pm Hi there! Here's my recording:
Hi Lauren,

Thank you! Sonia, our proof-listener, will check the recording. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/17876

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Lauren, nice reading, almost a mystical quality to your voice. I liked it. Though it's a bit low on volume, just inside our minimum accepted volume, something to watch out for, maybe turn up the microphone input level a little bit more.

No textual errors. :thumbs:

There is a lot of background noise however, which would benefit from a round or two of noisecleaning. Especially because your voice is in such a low volume. Do you use Audacity ? It has a good noisecleaning function. Nothing else is needed, just reupload with the same filename and the old file will get replaced by the cleaned up one.

Good start, thank you

Sonia
ladylivre

Post by ladylivre »

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for your feedback! I ran the file through the noise reduction effect in Audacity and reuploaded it:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw033_demaindesaube_hugo_lp_128kb.mp3

Just a quick note: I ran the file through Checker and it listed the volume as 85.9 dB. I tried to amplify it in Audacity, but it wouldn't let me go much higher than where it was, and the "normalize" effect seemed to re-introduce background noise. Since 85.9 is pretty close to the minimum (86 dB), I decided to upload it at that volume. If this causes any issues, I can try and find a way to bring the volume up with minimal background noise.

Thank you!

Lauren
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ladylivre wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:53 amThank you for your feedback! I ran the file through the noise reduction effect in Audacity and reuploaded it:

Just a quick note: I ran the file through Checker and it listed the volume as 85.9 dB. I tried to amplify it in Audacity, but it wouldn't let me go much higher than where it was, and the "normalize" effect seemed to re-introduce background noise. Since 85.9 is pretty close to the minimum (86 dB), I decided to upload it at that volume. If this causes any issues, I can try and find a way to bring the volume up with minimal background noise.
thank you Lauren. The reason why Audacity didn't let you amplify with +3 is because it would have resulted in some clipping. If you check your recording at 1:04, you'll see a big spike from one plosive. This spike would have clipped if you had amplified it all. That's why it's best to avoid such big changes in volume in some parts.

Now what you can do here is:

either 1. by highlighting only the spike, you manually reduce the volume of the spike by -5 for example, then you can uniformly amplify with +3 the whole file and it will not clip

or 2. as this is the only spike that would clip, you can override the warning and tick the "allow clipping" box in the amplify function. This is not recommendable usually because a lot of clipping would result in corruption of audio quality. But with one single spike, this is insignificant and can be done.

Actually this is what I did to your file just now. I amplified with +3 and let the spike clip, you can hear it's not a big deal:

And you are right, amplifying the file also amplifies the background noise again, so after amplifying I re-ran the noise reduction function one more time and now it sounds cleaner.

No need to reupload again, as I reuploaded the cleaned file for you just now. But you could try the same procedure on your file at home to get the hang of it. Checker now shows me 88.5 dB, which is perfect for volume.

Thank you, I'll mark it now PL ok.

Sonia
ladylivre

Post by ladylivre »

Kitty wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:12 am The reason why Audacity didn't let you amplify with +3 is because it would have resulted in some clipping. If you check your recording at 1:04, you'll see a big spike from one plosive. This spike would have clipped if you had amplified it all. That's why it's best to avoid such big changes in volume in some parts.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the explanation - it makes a lot more sense now. I'll practice on my original file as you suggested.

Thank you again for all your help :D

Lauren
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Bonjour!

En Français
Guy de Maupassant 1850 1893
Guy de Maupassant — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)
A cheval 1882 1898
https://fr.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Mademoiselle_Fifi_(recueil,_Ollendorff_1898)/%C3%80_cheval

00:13:51
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw033_acheval_maupassant_chj_128kb.mp3

Société Fatalité Paris Humour

Espérant que cela vous convienne

Bonne journée! :)
Christiane Jehanne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: October 10th, 2022, 1:38 am Bonjour!

En Français
Guy de Maupassant 1850 1893
Guy de Maupassant — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)
A cheval 1882 1898
Bonjour Christiane,

Merci, c'est près pour Sonia !

Bonne journée,
Michael
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour Michael :D

Merci beaucoup !

Bonne journée
A bientôt

Christiane
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah comme c'est méchant de la vieille femme, de profiter ainsi de l'accident. :evil: Maupassant est vraiment maître du lugubre.

Mais excellemment racontée, merci Christiane. Pas de fautes textuelles dans l'histoire. Faudrait just changer le début:

> pour l'intro, il faudrait la version longue, l'abbréviation est seulement pour les textes et poèmes courts (moins de 500 mots) (voir premier message pour détails)

merci

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour !

Bonjour Sonia,

Merci.
Oui entendu.
Je vais aussi envoyer Décoré, et Le Tic, de Maupassant.
Je suis avec Maupassant en ce moment... 😀
A bientôt

Bonne journée
Christiane.
ChristianeJehanne

ChristianeJehanne