[Complete] Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves 1 lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume I Alabama Narratives, by Various

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/slave-narratives-a-folk-history-of-slavery-in-the-united-states-from-interviews-with-former-slaves-volume-i-alabama-narratives-by-various/

These volumes of slave narratives are the product of the Federal Writers Project sponsored by the Library of Congress and the Work Project Administration. They consist of verbatim records of personal interviews with former slaves conducted during 1936-1938

"These life histories, taken down as far as possible in the narrators' words, constitute an invaluable body of unconscious evidence or indirect source material, . . . The narratives belong to folk history—history recovered from the memories and lips of participants or eye-witnesses,” This is volume one for the state of Alabama, the first in the series of 34 volumes.
(Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36020

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 129
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1941
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, biography, black history, abolition, American history, emancipation, social justice, oral history, african american history, folk history

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

SPECIAL READING NOTE:
These personal narratives are recorded from the lips of former slaves and reflect their vernacular language. You don’t need to attempt a strong accent; just read the narrative as written. More information about the nature of these narrative is given in the next post.

CAUTION: Some of these narratives may contain racially offensive words which were embedded in the language of the slaves themselves. They must be read as written, so please review the sections and do not select anything that you are not comfortable reading.

NOTE: The Section Name is the name of the person. Some narratives have titles, so please read them. Do NOT read picture captions. Do NOT read any footnotes.

Say:
"Section # of Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume I, Alabama Narratives. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume I, Alabama Narratives, by Various. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume I Alabama Narratives, by Various."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: slavenarrativesvol1_###_various_128kb.mp3where ### is the section number. (e.g. slavenarrativesvol1_001_various_128kb.mp3) three digit section numbers

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

After completing the two volumes for North Carolina, looping back to pick up the first volume in this series.

mleigh has agreed, once again, to take on the role of DPL and back-up BC! :9:
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up

Edit: ready to go!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
I'll try to get the MW set up tonight.
~ Larry
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Assuming this is like the previous one, can I claim Molly Ammond (Ammonds) which I think will be section 3?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Finally out of the remote country along the French River and with friends who have good wi-fi, so the MW is set up an our first claim entered.

I think we can go to short works, unless you think otherwise, Lynnet
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Done
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

May I claim sections 1 and 2?
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

this post had mistakes
Last edited by docdlmartin on September 3rd, 2022, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've assigned you Sections 1 and 2 and marked this recording Ready for PL
Thank you!
~ Larry
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
Also in the MW Ready for PL.
~ Larry
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Here is mine, wasn't sure whether we were to read the opening bit where it says the interviewer name but I recorded it because it's easier to cut it out then record it back in.

3: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/slavenarrativesvol1_003_various_128kb.mp3 (5 mins, 1 sec)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The above Sections are in the MW Ready for PL
Thank you and thank you!
~ Larry