[SOLO]A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson by Watkin Tench - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson, by Watkin Tench (1758 - 1833)
A classic of Australian history. Watkin Tench sailed with the First Fleet in 1788 and remained in the Sydney colony until December 1791. His intelligent and humane description of life in the colony from its earliest days brings to life that pivotal time in Australia's past.

Please note: this account includes descriptions of the capture and disempowerment of Australian Aboriginal people. Although Tench describes it with as much empathy as can be expected from someone of his time and background, the facts themselves are distressing. (Summary by chocmuse)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3534

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson, by Watkin Tench.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson, by Watkin Tench.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson, by Watkin Tench."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: settlementatportjackson_##_tench_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. settlementatportjackson_00_tench_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by chocmuse on September 2nd, 2022, 12:44 am, edited 10 times in total.
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

I'm thinking I'd put the preface in together with Chapter 1, as it's a very short preface. But happy to give it its own section if moderators see fit!
This is my first solo recording, but it's a fairly short book so I think I'm up for it :) Will appreciate any guidance or feedback along the way.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello and welcome back. I see you have taken a bit of a hiatus, so great you have not completely forgotten us :)

I can MC this project and will create your Magic Window soon. You seem to have BCed some projects already back in the days, so maybe you remember how to work the MW, if not I can guide you through it again. And I hope you remember your technical set-up of the recordings, if not, re-doing a one-minute test might be helpful.

Also, could you please read from this text source at Project Gutenberg USA: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3534. We're a bit cautious with Gutenberg Australia as they are not always stating their exact sources, while the US checks whether it's really public domain in the United States.

Do you already have a DPL in mind ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, your Magic Window is installed and I filled in a few sections to show you the layout. I think the Preface may well have its own section, we have a special Section 00 for this.

I would suggest that you use "Section" instead of "Chapter" in your intro and outro, because by the looks of it, at least one chapter needs to be split in two due to its length. I might be wrong, but saying "section" puts us on the safe side. You can say "Chapter" in the second part of the intro as the "title" of the chapter, that's why I included it in the MW title. The exact wording of the intro and outro is to be found in the first post, for easy reference.

I shortened the filename considerably as well. Now we're all set.

Holler if you have any questions.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks. I just took a look at my catalogue page and was surprised to see how many I've actually done... and yes it was all a long time ago! I have indeed forgotten how to work the MW but don't worry, I've found the wiki page and will do what I can with that before bothering you (but great to know you're there to help if I need you!).

No, I don't have a DPL in mind, I've got very much out of the loop. I was looking for this book in the catalogue and saw it wasn't there, so that brought me here to record it :D

All your suggestions are noted and I'm happy to oblige :) Thanks Sonia!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: August 28th, 2022, 7:24 amI have indeed forgotten how to work the MW but don't worry, I've found the wiki page and will do what I can with that before bothering you (but great to know you're there to help if I need you!).
you need to click on the BC/Admin button to get in. If it doesn't accept your password right away, push "forgot password" and you'll receive an email for a new one for the MW specially.
No, I don't have a DPL in mind
well if you don't mind, then I'll PL it for you. That way we have the team complete and can move to Going Solo :)

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thank you, that'll be great to have you PLing!

I do have one issue though - I've clicked 'forgot password' twice so far (many hours ago), and no email has come. I checked my email address in my profile and it's the right one. Any ideas? Sorry :cry:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:19 pmThank you, that'll be great to have you PLing!
ok then we'll move to Going Solo
I do have one issue though - I've clicked 'forgot password' twice so far (many hours ago), and no email has come. I checked my email address in my profile and it's the right one. Any ideas? Sorry :cry:
have you changed the email manually recently ? Because maybe in our system we still have the very old one form 2011...

Or check your spam filter, maybe LV emails look suspicious, because they are automatically generated.

I'll PM you so we can discuss email adresses in private....check your PM inbox (in the upper right corner)

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks for all your help! The email change you made worked! :clap:

I've updated the MW and uploaded the first section :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: August 29th, 2022, 7:10 amThanks for all your help! The email change you made worked! :clap:
I've updated the MW and uploaded the first section :D
:thumbs: you also need to set the last column to Ready for PL so I get this on my to-do list. And yes, it's always good to write a note in the thread, that way I get a notification that there are any updates. Will PL soon, maybe today still, at the latest tomorrow.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thank you, done :)
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Section 01 settlementatportjackson_01_tench_128kb.mp3 07:53
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: August 29th, 2022, 10:55 pmSection 01 settlementatportjackson_01_tench_128kb.mp3 07:53
this is not a valid link, it should look like this: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_01_tench_128kb.mp3 otherwise I cannot download it. I corrected it now in the MW.

I listened to both sections, and bravo, your narration is wonderful to listen to. A quiet voice, a good pacing, not too fast, not too slow, easy to listen and follow along. Loved it and am looking forward to the rest of the account. Interesting to hear the voice of a witness of the times.

Textually all word perfect too, great job.

I only have a few notes concerning the intro and outro:

Section 0:

> at 0:01: "Section 0 of..." - it's best to stay consistent throughout and say "section" as some chapters may be split in two. You can say "Preface" as the title in the second part of the intro, which you actually did

> at 0:05: "by Watkin Tench" - this can be cut here, at the beginning we say by standard only the title, in the second part then the author's name, which you did as well (sorry if that was confusing in the first post)

> at 2:55: "end of Section 0" - also here, best stick with Section to stay consistent

Section 1:

> at 0:06: if you wish you can use the "short" disclaimer for the rest of the project. In solos we are giving the option of a shortened intro (see first post) Let me know whether you want to change this or stick with the long one throughout. I think a shortened version would be handy

> at 7:46: "end of section 1" - also here, if you say "section" in the intro, you should also close with "section" instead of Chapter

simply reupload with the exact same filename and the old file will be replaced by the corrected one :)

great start !!!

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks Sonia!
I have no idea why I did the long disclaimer, I wasn't intending to :oops:
I must admit it feels odd to say Section 0, but I'll do it.
Thanks for your advice, I will make those changes today and let you know once it's done.
And thank you for the kind words! 8-)
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Changes all made (I hope!). You can hear they've been edited in which is a pity, but I did all I could with noise reduction and amplification to get it as close as I could.