[SOLO]A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson by Watkin Tench - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

annise wrote: October 15th, 2023, 5:32 amJust offering an opinion about the map. I've seen a number of older books that had maps printed on different paper and folded and stuck inside the cover so they could be opened up for reference. They were also often removed and stuck on the wall or somewhere and thus were separated from the book.
So there may have been a detailed map, but it had vanished by the time PG scanned the book.
this is a possibility, yes. But the problem with footnotes like "look at the map" remains, I think in that case it's not so important to include that bit as it doesn't lead anywhere.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thank you!!! Sonia, you've helped me be able to face it, so here's hoping I get the whole thing done by the end of the year... we shall see :shock:

The egg theory sounds good to me! :lol:

Anne, hi! :D Your thoughts about the map sounds like it is very probably what happened. And yes, I'll be glad to leave out all references to the map.

Thanks again.
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

I have at least started the recording... :roll:

After Christmas and New Year I will finish this beast! Happy holidays to you Sonia!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: December 18th, 2023, 7:55 pmI have at least started the recording... :roll:
After Christmas and New Year I will finish this beast! Happy holidays to you Sonia!
good to hear from you again :) and glad to hear there is progress.

Happy holidays to you as well, and yes, let's finish this in 2024 :mrgreen:

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Hi Sonia, another quick question. In the upcoming section there's a bit about some cassowary eggs, with a little diagram. What do you think if I describe it as follows:

One egg in the first row. Three eggs in the second row. Five eggs in the third row. Three eggs in the fourth row.

Or do you have a better suggestion? :hmm:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: January 15th, 2024, 1:00 amHi Sonia, another quick question. In the upcoming section there's a bit about some cassowary eggs, with a little diagram. What do you think if I describe it as follows:

One egg in the first row. Three eggs in the second row. Five eggs in the third row. Three eggs in the fourth row.

Or do you have a better suggestion? :hmm:
I believe we already discussed this: viewtopic.php?p=2251878#p2251878
usually we only "read what the author wrote" and don't make extensive descriptions, so the less "invented" the better. I think simply saying "one egg - two eggs..." is enough

great to see you're onto the next section :9:

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Oh I'm so sorry! That just shows how long I've been putting this off :oops: Thanks for your patience and I will do that.
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Section 17 done! Phew! :roll:

I'm afraid the recording is a bit fuzzy, I was speaking into the side of the mic to avoid plosives and I think I overdid it. I think it's bearable, but I am sorry about it.

I think I'll record the remaining sections before I fix up all remaining PL changes at the end.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:19 amSection 17 done! Phew! :roll:
I'm afraid the recording is a bit fuzzy, I was speaking into the side of the mic to avoid plosives and I think I overdid it. I think it's bearable, but I am sorry about it.
wohooo a new chapter is in. And highly interesting, about the animal life. Interesting that "kangaroo" is not a native Australian word. I would have thought it would be. :hmm:

Excellently narrated again, but yes, the background noise is rather disturbing.

Here is what I would suggest:

> volume: too high, nearly 96 dB. Please reduce by -6 to get closer to the avearge of 89.

> background noise: too high - maybe you can run another round of noise cleaning. For example, I tried it with a sample of around 19:58 to 19:59 and that made it very clean to listen to

> at 0:22: "The journals contained in the body of this publication, illustrated by the map which accompanies it, are, I conceive" - you need to read the entire text, even if there is no map. I thought it was a footnote when I suggested to leave that out, sorry about that misunderstanding. :(
We could make a short note in the summary that the map mentioned in chapter 17 is not available in the e-text source you used. Readers may well look at another edition where the map is included.

> at 4:34: "from the superior nature of the country in that direction, as the remarks inserted in the map will testify" - also here, the full text needs to be read

thanks, and great that this is progressing.

I am wondering now, since this is "only" about 34 minutes, maybe the entire chapter would have fitted in under 74 minutes and we could merge them all into one chapter nevertherless. It's up to you, you can decide that when you record the second part and see it's under 74 minutes.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

I will do all the fixing of PL notes at the end, but for now, section 18 is done! It's an hour long!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: March 7th, 2024, 3:45 amI will do all the fixing of PL notes at the end, but for now, section 18 is done! It's an hour long!
:shock: that was long compared to the other part of the chapter. But now you have the bulk done ;)

though I did not finish the PL listening this time. I got up till 10 minutes, then the repeats were getting too many, so I am suspecting you sent me an unedited file. Could you check please, before I go on, the PL notes would be too numerous to write down. :?

these are the notes for now, so you see what I mean:

> the bitrate is variable, instead of 128 kbps constant

> the volume is too high, over 93 dB, I would suggest reducing by -4. There is quite a lot of clipping as a result...but I think it doesn't distort the audio too much
> at 0:12: you forgot the title "Miscellaneous Remarks on the country. On its vegetable productions. On its climate. On its animal productions. On its natives, etc."

> at 10:08: repeat: "on whom this operation had"
> at 10:17: repeat: "but this was deemed too trifling to consider"
> at 10:37: repeat: "until it becomes easily"
> at 10:52: repeat: "Imeera"
> at 10:59: repeat: "with which he had"

> I also noticed at a glance into Audacity, that there is a large silence gap from 16:39 to 19:00 which reinforces my suspicion that it's an unedited file, as this would surely not be missed in the editing phase

thanks for checking

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Oh NO, I'm so sorry! I got a new laptop and was using it to record for the first time, so that's why the settings are wrong.
I am suspecting you sent me an unedited file
I'm sure you are right :oops: I did this recording over several separate sessions and on two different computers, so that is why it's all so strange. I will look at it and fix that later tonight. I guess I probably saved the wrong file so will have to edit it again! But that's ok and explains why it's such a long file.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: March 7th, 2024, 9:05 pmOh NO, I'm so sorry! I got a new laptop and was using it to record for the first time, so that's why the settings are wrong. I'm sure you are right :oops: I did this recording over several separate sessions and on two different computers, so that is why it's all so strange. I will look at it and fix that later tonight. I guess I probably saved the wrong file so will have to edit it again! But that's ok and explains why it's such a long file.
yes that is plausible. That's why I stopped :lol: I thought better make sure it's the correct file before I write up all the unedited errors.

I do hope you have your correct copy still and don't have to do the editing from scratch. With such a long file it takes a lot of time :? good luck

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

I do hope you have your correct copy still and don't have to do the editing from scratch
Well, not quite, but there was a lot to do! But I did it, and hopefully the replaced file is somewhat less embarrassing!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: March 8th, 2024, 3:11 amWell, not quite, but there was a lot to do! But I did it, and hopefully the replaced file is somewhat less embarrassing!
:thumbs: I'll try to listen to it this afternoon :)

Sonia