[SOLO]A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson by Watkin Tench - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Finally got another chance to record! Here's section 6: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_06_tench_128kb.mp3 14:58.

Also made the small edit to section 5.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 7th, 2022, 12:31 amFinally got another chance to record! Here's section 6: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_06_tench_128kb.mp3 14:58.
Also made the small edit to section 5.
excellent thank you. Both chapters PL ok. Shocking accounts of the starving population :? I hope this provision ship is coming soon. I was wondering why they wouldn't hunt and fish earlier and was it impossible to grow a garden in that area ? Do you know the area described in this book ? Couldn't they find a more suitable plot ? Not all Australia is desert surely. :shock:

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Kitty wrote: September 7th, 2022, 12:58 am Shocking accounts of the starving population :? I hope this provision ship is coming soon. I was wondering why they wouldn't hunt and fish earlier and was it impossible to grow a garden in that area ? Do you know the area described in this book ? Couldn't they find a more suitable plot ? Not all Australia is desert surely. :shock:
I do in fact know this area - I live right on the outer edges of Sydney! It isn't desert at all, it's very green most years. But there isn't much topsoil around, it's mostly rock and clay. Their European methods needed some alteration before they could grow crops here, and they managed it eventually. Ironic though, that the Aboriginal people had lived abundantly off this very same land for centuries... but they had a specific method, of using what the land had and then moving on before it was all gone, so that each area wasn't deprived of its resources. Bringing hundreds of people and settling down in one place wasn't a good way to go! Just so amazing that this little settlement survived at all.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:15 amI do in fact know this area - I live right on the outer edges of Sydney! It isn't desert at all, it's very green most years. But there isn't much topsoil around, it's mostly rock and clay. Their European methods needed some alteration before they could grow crops here, and they managed it eventually. Ironic though, that the Aboriginal people had lived abundantly off this very same land for centuries... but they had a specific method, of using what the land had and then moving on before it was all gone, so that each area wasn't deprived of its resources. Bringing hundreds of people and settling down in one place wasn't a good way to go! Just so amazing that this little settlement survived at all.
interesting, thank you for the clarification. Yes, of course the Aboriginal people would know better how to survive than the newcomers. The settlers should have learnt from them instead of trying to do it their way.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Another interesting chapter! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_07_tench_128kb.mp3 16:15

But some issues to point out. Firstly, Sonia, I think you are French, am I right? In which case I have to apologise for my excruciating attempt at your beautiful language in this section! Thankfully it is only a little bit, but if it's too awful I can do a spot fix :oops:

Secondly, there's a table in this chapter, which I've attempted to put into audio version. It means I had to add a few words of explanation of my own there. Is that the right way to go about it?

More Australian birds - rainbow lorikeets, to be exact, decided to break into the middle of this recording! I edited out what I could and let the rest be :)

I'll be glad to know what you think. Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I was cheering with them when the ship arrived :lol:
I think you are French, am I right?
no I'm from Luxembourg, but yes I speak and understand French well enough.
I have to apologise for my excruciating attempt at your beautiful language in this section! Thankfully it is only a little bit, but if it's too awful I can do a spot fix :oops:
it wasn't too bad and one can understand it, so no need to correct anything there. :thumbs:
there's a table in this chapter, which I've attempted to put into audio version. It means I had to add a few words of explanation of my own there. Is that the right way to go about it?
actually no...for tables as for anything else in the books, we usually don't insert personal explanations, usually they are read as written.

> at 10:15: As the usual way of dealing with tables, I would suggest this:
"Name of the ship: Neptune
Number of people embarked: 530
Number of persons who died on the passage: 163
Number landed sick at Port Jackson: 269

Name of the ship: Surprise
Number of people embarked: 252
Number of persons who died on the passage: 42
Number landed sick at Port Jackson: 121

Name of the ship: Scarborough
Number of people embarked: 256
Number of persons who died on the passage: 68
Number landed sick at Port Jackson: 96

Total:
Number of people embarked: 1038
Number of persons who died on the passage: 273
Number landed sick at Port Jackson: 486"

the rest of the text was perfect 8-)
More Australian birds - rainbow lorikeets, to be exact, decided to break into the middle of this recording! I edited out what I could and let the rest be :)
I think I detected them at a small part only, but it's really not distracting. Well cleaned.

Thanks

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Kitty wrote: September 9th, 2022, 8:54 amactually no...for tables as for anything else in the books, we usually don't insert personal explanations, usually they are read as written.
Thank you, I will fix it. Do I say 'here follows a table' first, or do I just launch into it?

Thanks for your feedback as always :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:12 pmThank you, I will fix it. Do I say 'here follows a table' first, or do I just launch into it?
nothing new added to the text, so yes, just launch into the table.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks again, here is the fixed version, only the table has changed, from 10:15 as you indicated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_07_tench_128kb.mp3 now 16:24.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 12th, 2022, 11:45 pmThanks again, here is the fixed version, only the table has changed, from 10:15 as you indicated.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_07_tench_128kb.mp3 now 16:24.
and totally PL ok now, thank you :)

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Here is section 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_08_tench_128kb.mp3 13:43 8-)

At 3:47, it says, "to cat until the stomach...", and I read it that way. I thought it was strange at the time! But on editing I think it's a proofreading error from Gutenberg and it should be 'eat' not 'cat'. Do we make this kind of correction?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:53 pmHere is section 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_08_tench_128kb.mp3 13:43 8-)
At 3:47, it says, "to cat until the stomach...", and I read it that way. I thought it was strange at the time! But on editing I think it's a proofreading error from Gutenberg and it should be 'eat' not 'cat'. Do we make this kind of correction?
yes indeed, this is an obvious typo and as such can be tacitly corrected. It's not the same as "editing the text as we like".

so two small spots need to be corrected this time:

> at 3:46: "to eat until the stomach was so overladen" - "eat" instead of "cat"
> at 13:37: "End of Section 8" - you say "Chapter"

thanks

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Kitty wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:53 am so two small spots need to be corrected this time:
Whoops! :oops: Thanks, will do!
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Section 9 ready at last! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_09_tench_128kb.mp3 18:25
Also have fixed up the issues in section 8 - no change at all to the duration time for that section as the changes were tiny.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:26 amSection 9 ready at last! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/settlementatportjackson_09_tench_128kb.mp3 18:25
Also have fixed up the issues in section 8 - no change at all to the duration time for that section as the changes were tiny.
great job on both of them.

Section 8 is now Spot PL ok.

A small cut needed in Section 9:

> at 15:12: repeat, can be cut once: "he told them that they were nuffer"

thanks

Sonia