OPEN[PLAY]Don Quixote Part 1 by Thomas D'Urfey - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you for reading Cardenio.

Also, for Melissa (thank you very much for all the PL's!), I moved her to the top of the MW and changed the marking to "See PL Notes". Even though the notes are optional, the section won't be noticed easily at the bottom of the MW - this way Reader can notice and agree with the notes, or say that they are not going to make the optional changes.

Thanks, Todd
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Missing stage direction for Act 4, page 63: "Enter Don Fernando ... and Nicholas"

Separate file, please.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: April 18th, 2023, 5:40 am Missing stage direction for Act 4, page 63: "Enter Don Fernando ... and Nicholas"

Separate file, please.

Thanks, Todd
Okay I will work on it when I can, what do I name the new file? I haven't had to submit an extra file before
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Howsabout "comicalhistory1_stagedirections_extraforact4" ? It really does not matter very much since it won't go into the MW or the catalog - I will just grab it when you post the link and will update the Act 4 master file.

Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I like the duality of this character, the cool propriety, against the uneven rhythm of his madness! Well done. :D

Act 5 is PL OK! :thumbs:

Act 4:

@3:34, on page 66, I think we've got just one f/s:
I hear "well defended", but I think it's "well descended", as in, "of good family".

@Beginning of file, you've done well to record your voice credit using the info in the MW, with the name as "Cardensio". But the character later introduces himself as "Cardenio", and most of the stage directions seem to agree.
Would you mind adding a voice credit take with the name as "Cardenio", in case that's what we'd want to use?
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
tefavidal

Post by tefavidal »

redrun wrote: April 7th, 2023, 7:46 pm
Good job, and I think you got all of those pesky long s's! :wink:
I have an optional note for you that's a matter of interpretation, but I bring it up in case you'd want to change your performance:
@0:59, final line of page 87 - the "et cetera", as I've recently learned, is a sign to repeat the line before it - so the line would be "Let it be so, let it be so".

If you do decide to make that change, then we can also save Todd some editing time by adding silence to these places:
@0:58 before "Let it be so"
@0:04 before "I when I please"

Audacity has some neat tools like Analyze -> Label Sounds which make it easier to edit fast, but require that 3+ seconds of silence between lines to work properly.
Thanks for the comments! I didn't know about the label sounds tool :)!
Here is the reupload of Melissa https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comicalhistorypart1_melissa_5.mp3
Back until end of August.
Catching up on some recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

tefavidal wrote: April 19th, 2023, 10:41 am Thanks for the comments! I didn't know about the label sounds tool :)!
Here is the reupload of Melissa https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comicalhistorypart1_melissa_5.mp3
Alright! Well fixed. But... I missed one thing in PL.
For the voice credit, we actually need it to be "Melissa, an Inchantress, read by <you>". I forgot to check the MW to see that "an Inchantress" part.
Sorry to give you more work by my own mistake. :oops:
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: April 18th, 2023, 7:48 am Howsabout "comicalhistory1_stagedirections_extraforact4" ? It really does not matter very much since it won't go into the MW or the catalog - I will just grab it when you post the link and will update the Act 4 master file.

Thanks, Todd
Sorry, I thought the file name was important. Anyway here it is, hopefully it's okay:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comicalhistory1_stagedirections_extraforact4.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Whoops. I expected you would look at the text on page 63 instead of using the short form of the missing line I put in my posting. The full missing line is "Enter Don Fernando, Luscinda, dressed like a Nun, Dorothea in her Shepherdess Clothes, with Perez and Nicholas"

File names really matter for books where the file name a reader uses when they upload is what goes into the catalog process.

For Dramatic Works, the reader files are temporary, since we take them apart and then paste them together to form the final master files, which is what gets cataloged. So the reader file names are not vital. HOWEVER, in case anyone leaves the Dramatic Works forum to read something else, they really should be used to do file names correct as described in the first posting.

For little fragments like this, I've already downloaded your file to my computer to put into the master file - your new file won't even go into the MW.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: April 20th, 2023, 6:13 pm Whoops. I expected you would look at the text on page 63 instead of using the short form of the missing line I put in my posting. The full missing line is "Enter Don Fernando, Luscinda, dressed like a Nun, Dorothea in her Shepherdess Clothes, with Perez and Nicholas"

File names really matter for books where the file name a reader uses when they upload is what goes into the catalog process.

For Dramatic Works, the reader files are temporary, since we take them apart and then paste them together to form the final master files, which is what gets cataloged. So the reader file names are not vital. HOWEVER, in case anyone leaves the Dramatic Works forum to read something else, they really should be used to do file names correct as described in the first posting.

For little fragments like this, I've already downloaded your file to my computer to put into the master file - your new file won't even go into the MW.

Thanks, Todd
Oh right sorry, since you had it in quotation marks I thought that was the line and the dot dot dot was just to denote that I'd forgotten the 'and Nicholas' part. Noted about the file names.
Take 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comicalhistory1_stagedirections_extraforact4.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

PL OK. Put into master file.

My mistake - I should have just typed out the whole thing! Sorry to have been so lazy.

Thanks, Todd
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

redrun wrote: April 18th, 2023, 6:41 pm I like the duality of this character, the cool propriety, against the uneven rhythm of his madness! Well done. :D
Act 4:

@3:34, on page 66, I think we've got just one f/s:
I hear "well defended", but I think it's "well descended", as in, "of good family".

@Beginning of file, you've done well to record your voice credit using the info in the MW, with the name as "Cardensio". But the character later introduces himself as "Cardenio", and most of the stage directions seem to agree.
Would you mind adding a voice credit take with the name as "Cardenio", in case that's what we'd want to use?
Replaced file now 06:12

I've re-recorded the whole sentence from just before 03:30 to 03:47

Voice credit changed to "Cardenio"
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.