[group] The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - philc

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

The Sign of the Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930)

This solo was turned into a group project June, 2023.
In the second of the novels chronicling the adventures of the great consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes, a strange mystery is afoot as a young lady comes to Holmes with questions about some strange goings on. The one clue in her hands: The Sign of the Four. Becoming entangled with murder, burglary and romance, can Holmes and Watson lay this mystery to rest? (Summary by Matthew Soanes)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2097

Target completion date: 2022-09-02

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, Sherlock Holmes, Mystery, suspense, murder

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave less than 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The Sign of the Four . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Sign of the Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: signofthefour_##_doyle_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. signofthefour_01_doyle_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by RVPMatt123 on August 1st, 2022, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Hey there Matthew! Do you need a DPL for this, or do you have one already set up? Because I would be happy to be DPL for you! :D
Mozartjr
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Mozartjr wrote: August 1st, 2022, 2:13 pm Hey there Matthew! Do you need a DPL for this, or do you have one already set up? Because I would be happy to be DPL for you! :D
Mozartjr
I wouldn't want anyone better for a DPL! Hop on board!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hot ziggedy dog. I will set this up for you. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Thanks very much! I'll be looking forward to getting started real soon
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

I've just realised. It's been so long since I've done this, I've forgotten how to edit the magic window XD

If either Mozart or Phil can give me a reminder, it'd be greatly appreciated
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

If you click on "BC Admin" right below the MW, it will ask you to log in. You will have to put in the log in info you created for that whenever you first began; If you forgot it, I believe that there is a Forgot Password option. Then it will take you to the MW and you can edit it from there. Make sure you hit enter after you put in chapter titles or something; that is the only way it will save :mrgreen:
Hopefully this helps,
Mozartjr
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

I had a feeling it was that! I'll get it sorted now
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

I'm noticing that Sign of the Four has been added twice into my management dashboard? Is there a reason for that at all?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RVPMatt123 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 2:46 pm I'm noticing that Sign of the Four has been added twice into my management dashboard? Is there a reason for that at all?
I'm glad to see you sorted out that Magic Window stuff. But I'm not sure what you are referring to about your dashboard. Please explain and I'll see what is happening.
davecapper

Post by davecapper »

I would like to read this book. I am new and have completed 1 chapter on Librivox recently.

Thank you
Dave
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I refuse not to do the something that I can do." ~ Helen Keller
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

davecapper wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:01 pm I would like to read this book. I am new and have completed 1 chapter on Librivox recently.

Thank you
Dave
Hi Dave. You can certainly record this book but it will have to be as a new project; a solo. I will help you get this set up and am sending you a private message on how to start.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

philchenevert wrote: August 4th, 2022, 4:00 pm
RVPMatt123 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 2:46 pm I'm noticing that Sign of the Four has been added twice into my management dashboard? Is there a reason for that at all?
I'm glad to see you sorted out that Magic Window stuff. But I'm not sure what you are referring to about your dashboard. Please explain and I'll see what is happening.
Phil, I actually happened to notice while I was updating our project status table that something funny was going on with this project. It looks like this one was accidentally created as a new project twice, under project numbers 18224 and 18225. I'm in the database now, so I will go ahead and repurpose that extra unneeded project number. No worries!
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm
philchenevert wrote: August 4th, 2022, 4:00 pm
Phil, I actually happened to notice while I was updating our project status table that something funny was going on with this project. It looks like this one was accidentally created as a new project twice, under project numbers 18224 and 18225. I'm in the database now, so I will go ahead and repurpose that extra unneeded project number. No worries!
Yes, this was what I was on about! Thanks for getting this sorted, Felix, I appreciate it
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oh thank you. I noticed the double problem too and was going to need to set aside some time to remember how to re purpose it. You have saved me the trouble!! As to why there are two I don't know but it is certainly something my excited fingers and I did. :?