[COMPLETE] The Chain of Destiny by Bram Stoker - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Chain of Destiny, by Bram Stoker (1847 - 1912)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-chain-of-destiny-by-bram-stoker/

Frank Stanford, strapping young man, heads out to the countryside to visit his old friends Mr. and Mrs. Trevor as the Scarp estate. What begins as a warm visit with his ersatz parental figures turns into something both ominous and wonderful with the announcement by Mrs. Trevor that they are to be visited by a young Miss Fothering who Mrs. Trevor feels Frank will fall in love with almost immediately. Frank takes it all in stride until he has a terrible nightmare that evening of dreadful things to come upon Miss Fothering's arrival. Will there be a 'happily ever after' for the pair of lovebirds or will an ancient family curse finally come to bare? (Summary by Ben Tucker)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.bramstoker.org/stories/04other/destiny.html

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: cb8rYmgn
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker (Bram Stoker)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction, Romance

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Chain of Destiny. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Chain of Destiny, by Bram Stoker. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Chain of Destiny, by Bram Stoker. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Chain of Destiny, by Bram Stoker."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: chainofdestiny_##_stoker_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. chainofdestiny_01_stoker_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by flavo5000 on August 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Just FYI, the source provided is in the public domain and even includes a link to the PDF scans of the original 1875 printing of the story in The Shamrock.

Also it should be a pretty short one (~2 hours).
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I would like to DPL.
Christine
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I am checking with the other admins to make sure that we can use the source you have provided. Once I get an OK, I will MC the project!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, the consensus is that you must read from the scan of The Shamrock, and not from the texts that were made from the scan. The reasoning is that the copyright date is clearly shown on the scan of The Shamrock, and that we don't know what changes, if any, that were made to the text in the first two links. If you can abide with that, or if you can find a better online version of the text elsewhere, then we can move forward. Let me know if this is OK with you.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

icequeen wrote: July 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm OK, the consensus is that you must read from the scan of The Shamrock, and not from the texts that were made from the scan. The reasoning is that the copyright date is clearly shown on the scan of The Shamrock, and that we don't know what changes, if any, that were made to the text in the first two links. If you can abide with that, or if you can find a better online version of the text elsewhere, then we can move forward. Let me know if this is OK with you.
Yep, that's fine. That was my plan anyway.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

flavo5000 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 5:30 am
icequeen wrote: July 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm OK, the consensus is that you must read from the scan of The Shamrock, and not from the texts that were made from the scan. The reasoning is that the copyright date is clearly shown on the scan of The Shamrock, and that we don't know what changes, if any, that were made to the text in the first two links. If you can abide with that, or if you can find a better online version of the text elsewhere, then we can move forward. Let me know if this is OK with you.
I found it hard to read from there. Any tips?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

brownrottger wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:13 am
I zoomed in to 200% and was able to read it pretty well. There's a handful of places where there are smudges that make it a little hard to read, but I was able to sort it out with context clues. I've actually already recorded the first two chapters, just haven't edited them yet.

You could always use the txt format just for PLing and if you see any discrepancy, I can check against the original scan to see if it was my mistake or a difference in transcription.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

flavo5000 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:41 am
brownrottger wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:13 am

I zoomed in to 200% and was able to read it pretty well. There's a handful of places where there are smudges that make it a little hard to read, but I was able to sort it out with context clues. I've actually already recorded the first two chapters, just haven't edited them yet.

You could always use the txt format just for PLing and if you see any discrepancy, I can check against the original scan to see if it was my mistake or a difference in transcription.
Thanks!
Christine
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect! Your MW is up, and Christine is in as DPL! I will move us to Going Solo tomorrow!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

icequeen wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:06 pm
Perfect! Your MW is up, and Christine is in as DPL! I will move us to Going Solo tomorrow!
Ok, thanks! MW filled out and ready to go.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

icequeen wrote: July 31st, 2022, 2:31 pm Off we go to Going Solo!
Hi, just FYI. I've updated the Summary and added Romance to the genres.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

flavo5000 wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm
icequeen wrote: July 31st, 2022, 2:31 pm Off we go to Going Solo!
Hi, just FYI. I've updated the Summary and added Romance to the genres.
Thank you for the heads up! The summary has been pasted in the proper spot, and Romance has been added to the genres.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!