Modern Domestic Cookery by W.A.Henderson

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Here's a cook book that has been used in some YouTube videos about making deserts with 200 year old recipes.

https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-95792-50/page/n3/mode/2up
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

This seems like it'd be a good project
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Inkell wrote: July 19th, 2022, 3:23 pm This seems like it'd be a good project
The linked version seems to be the clearest one to read. Internet Archive has a copy and so do a few other sites. The video where the book was being used to make deserts like 200 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaL86RDGIU

from the channel how to cook that. For instance page 272 has "floating island" which is the first desert that she makes.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

I am hoping to launch this as a group project later this year and have been working on the sections and I have a question about the names of the sections.

As we all know when we launch a project it gives you the option to say section or chapter and this book has 30 named chapters, some chapters would be fine lengthwise including the sections but others are too long they would have to be split. This book also has 3 extra chapters, one I guess could be a preface though it is not called that (its called like 'Directions on Managing a Family' or something) but it also has two extra chapters that have names but aren't called chapters, one about carving and one that is recipes (which is the single longest section in the entire book and definitely has to be split). Considering this I'd be inclined to go with 'section' instead of chapter and conveniently many of the chapters are already split into sections, there are a few that are quite long still but I've seen 7000 word sections before while other sections are very short even chapters wouldn't have needed it but for consistency I feel it would be fine to use them even though it would requite more sections in the MW.

My problem is that these chapter sections are already literally called sections in the book and 'Section X: Chapter X: [Chapter Name]: Section Y: [Section Name]' sounds bad to me since you're repeating section twice and I can't change the section but that's what the book calls them. So my question is part a) whether we are allowed to use another word to label the sections besides section or chapter? And part b) assuming yes, what would they be called instead?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think "Section" would still work fine, but yes you can use other words in the intro, like Part #, or whatever else you prefer to "Section".