COMPLETE[GROUP]Multilingual First Chapter Collection 010, by Various --- thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

[GROUP]Multilingual First Chapter Collection 010, by Various
The first chapter of a book is often the hook to draw a reader in. It could make you eager for more or realize it isn't for you. Here we offer the tenth "First Chapter Collection" in which readers share the first chapters of a variety of fiction and non-fiction works. All the works in this collection are in the public domain for those in the United States. Other listeners who wish to download these recordings should confirm that they are in the public domain for their nation. Special attention should be paid to Brockwell who died in 1958, Singh who died in 1996, and Ferguson for whom the death date is unknown. (Summary by KevinS)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-010-by-various/

Link to previously recorded works: First Chapter Collections

1. Choose an acceptable source. This collection is for recording first chapters of books. We can only accept readings of texts that are in the public domain in the United States. Specifically, we can publish recordings made from scans of books whose title page shows a date of publication of 1926 or earlier, which can be found at Archive.org, among other sites. We can also use most sources found at Gutenberg.org (if the book page says "Public domain in the USA"). We can use Wikisource only if there is a scan available at the "Source" tab. If you are unsure about a source, please ask us before recording it! Our contributors are also expected to verify themselves that the texts they record for LibriVox are in the public domain in their own country.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

2. New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording (available in several languages) for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs.

3. The format of the "intro" and "outro". (Can be in the language of the recorded text. Partial translations are available on this page.)

Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

At the start of the recording say:
"[Title of the book] by [author], read in [language] for the 10th First Chapter Collection. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" [Optional: "Read by your name."]
At the end of the recording say:
""End of chapter one of [title], by [author]" [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

4. Filename: fcc010_[work's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials]_128kb.mp3 (all lowercase and without accents, compressing the first few words of the title with no spaces) (e.g. fcc010_secretgarden_burnett_drb_128kb.mp3)

5. Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader (MC to select: toddhw)
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

6. Copy the file link generated by the uploader and post the following information in this thread (Post Reply):
MP3: (link generated by the uploader)
Duration: (mm:ss)
Author: (author's name)
Title: (of the work you recorded)
Language: (of the work)
Text: (link to the text from which you read)
If this is your first LibriVox contribution, let us know under what name (or nickname) you'd like to appear in our catalog.
7. Watch this thread for PL (proof-listening) notes. The PL level in this project is "special": our PL will follow along with the text and listen for any discrepancies that may change the meaning of the text. (For explanation of PL levels, see Guide for Proof-listeners.)

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: JW9hd3gy
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): Various
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): Various
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: first chapter collection

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by KevinS on December 23rd, 2022, 9:14 pm, edited 12 times in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I obviously don't know what I am doing. ShiNeko has tried to help, but I did not/do not understand the instructions.

Might someone help me with this?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Put this part:
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
Project Code: JW9hd3gy
Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): Various
Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
Original publication date (if known): Various
If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: first chapter collection

Under the first [MW]xxxxx[/MW] you have in the post, and you can delete all the rest after the words "If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread."

Also you need to do something with the beginning: I think you can delete "[GROUP]Multilingual First Chapter Collections, by Various" and the quoted empty summary after the first title. I also think it is best to put Link to previously recorded works: First Chapter Collections after the quoted summary.

I hope it helps.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ShiNeko wrote: July 17th, 2022, 11:58 am
Thank you. I'll try!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Okay. I think I've done everything correctly now.
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

KevinS wrote: July 17th, 2022, 12:45 pm Okay. I think I've done everything correctly now.
I think you should change Collections to Collection 010 like in the title of the thread (and like it is going to be in the catalogue) and it is done. :)

P.S. Would be great if a MC deletes my previous post so that it won't interfere here.
Last edited by ShiNeko on July 17th, 2022, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ShiNeko wrote: July 17th, 2022, 1:03 pm
KevinS wrote: July 17th, 2022, 12:45 pm Okay. I think I've done everything correctly now.
I think you should change Collections to Collection 010 like in the title of the thread (and like it is going to be in the catalogue) and it is done. :)

P.S. Would be great if a MC delete my previous post so that it won't interfere here.
Thanks! Will do.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can MC and set this up for you.

EDIT: MW is ready to go

Would you like this project to be in "Readers Wanted" for Books, or for Short Stories, or....?

Do you have or want a DPL, or are you going to do it - bearing in mind that you're asking for multilingual entries...?

I didn't delete the posting above since I think it will be helpful to folks setting up collection projects like this.

Thanks, Todd
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ToddHW wrote: July 20th, 2022, 10:52 am I can MC and set this up for you.

EDIT: MW is ready to go

Would you like this project to be in "Readers Wanted" for Books, or for Short Stories, or....?

Do you have or want a DPL, or are you going to do it - bearing in mind that you're asking for multilingual entries...?

I didn't delete the posting above since I think it will be helpful to folks setting up collection projects like this.

Thanks, Todd
I wish I knew more about the history of the collection. If I were to punt, I'd say let's put this in "Readers Wanted" for Books.

Yes, I will DPL (except for my own contribution, of course.) If I can privately contact someone who knows a language outside of English, Portuguese, and Spanish, I would like that, but my plan is to really just listen in and see if there are obvious disruptions to the text like coughs, repeats, and the like.

Thank you for MCing!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

"The Young Man who Came to Stay" from The Gentleman from Indiana by Booth Tarkington

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/9659/9659-h/9659-h.htm

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/fcc010_indiana_tarkington_ks_128kb.mp3 (22:12)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

And here's another:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/fcc010_highwaysinsussex_lucas_py_128kb.mp3
Duration: 17.38
Author: E. V. Lucas
Title: Highways and Byways in Sussex
Language: English
Text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20696

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:32 am And here's another:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/fcc010_highwaysinsussex_lucas_py_128kb.mp3
Duration: 17.38
Author: E. V. Lucas
Title: Highways and Byways in Sussex
Language: English
Text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20696

Peter
Thank you!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

It's great to see another installment of this collection. I'll try to submit something. It's time to get back in the saddle 8-)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Piotrek81 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:23 am It's great to see another installment of this collection. I'll try to submit something. It's time to get back in the saddle 8-)
Great! How many languages do you speak? We could use them all! (I can always add more available sections here than just 12.)

Hahah! No pressure!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:12 pm
Piotrek81 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:23 am It's great to see another installment of this collection. I'll try to submit something. It's time to get back in the saddle 8-)
Great! How many languages do you speak? We could use them all! (I can always add more available sections here than just 12.)

Hahah! No pressure!
The only ones that I read/comprehend well enough to record a section in are my native Polish and English. I once tried recording something in Spanish but I ended up tripping over my tongue and looking up way too many words. The pronunciation is predictable but I don't think it makes much sense to record something when you don't understand a substantial part of what you're reading. Also muttering to yourself is one thing, but a finished recording should preferably sound like a coherent text rather than a collection of arduously articulated sentences :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS