[FICTION] Septimius Felton or The Elixir of Life by Nathaniel Hawthorne -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Septimius Felton, or, the Elixir of Life, by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)
Septimius Felton; or, The Elixir of Life was amongst Nathaniel Hawthorne’s final unpublished (and unfinished) manuscripts, discovered by his widow Sophia shortly after his passing. Perhaps the most "complete" of Hawthorne's unfinished novels, it was published posthumously with editorial assistance from his daughter Una and poet Robert Browning. A gothic romance set during the Revolutionary War, this novel centers on a scholar named Septimius Felton, whose monomaniacal pursuit of the so-called elixir of life leads him down a doomed, destructive path that threatens to annihilate him and all that he loves. This edition of the text contains a number of annotations from both the author and editors that provide additional clarifications, amendments, and explanations. Despite having a large number of gaps, inconsistencies, and unvarnished edges, the major thrust of Hawthorne's narrative (with a distinct beginning, middle, and end) remains relatively complete. (Summary by ChuckW)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7372

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: gothic novel, immortality, unfinished novel

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Septimius Felton, or, the Elixir of Life. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Septimius Felton, or, the Elixir of Life, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Septimius Felton, or, the Elixir of Life, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Septimius Felton, or, the Elixir of Life, by Nathaniel Hawthorne."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: septimiusfelton_##_hawthorne_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. septimiusfelton_01_hawthorne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ChuckW on March 24th, 2023, 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

A quick note for potential DPLs -- there are no chapters or chapter breaks in this text. I've decided, therefore, to break this down into about 15 sections, which should (by my estimation) each be around 35-45 minutes. I'll try to find a logical end point for each section, but a lot of it will just be contingent on how long I want to record and how tired I am. I'll identify which parts were read for each section, but this will still be a standard PL, so no need to follow along religiously... that's just for your convenience. The final recording might also be slightly longer or shorter than 15 sections.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Chuck. I'll set this up for you. Be back with the MW shortly.
Jo
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:31 am Hi Chuck. I'll set this up for you. Be back with the MW shortly.
Woohoo! Thanks! We’re ready to go!

I’ve recorded the first two sections, but am away from my computer right now… so I’ll have to upload them later.
PROJECTS
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I would like to DPL. However, I will be away with no internet, 7/31-8/14 if that affects your decision.
Christine
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

brownrottger wrote: July 14th, 2022, 4:11 pm I would like to DPL. However, I will be away with no internet, 7/31-8/14 if that affects your decision.
Christine
Not a problem at all! Thank you so much!
PROJECTS
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Christine added as DPL. :)
Jo
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

So, um... I've had the first two sections recorded and edited for a while, but haven't uploaded them until now. I have no reason why I did this. Sorry!

I've also recorded half of Section 02, but read a lot of that while wrestling with Covid, so I might go back and redo the entire recording... we'll see.
PROJECTS
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

ChuckW wrote: August 29th, 2022, 7:26 am So, um... I've had the first two sections recorded and edited for a while, but haven't uploaded them until now. I have no reason why I did this. Sorry!

I've also recorded half of Section 02, but read a lot of that while wrestling with Covid, so I might go back and redo the entire recording... we'll see.
Ok great! These are in line for PL.
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 0 ends at 13:38 with the words "and containing besides a few pictures" which is in the middle of the second to last paragraph of the Introductory Note.
Christine
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

brownrottger wrote: August 29th, 2022, 12:45 pm Section 0 ends at 13:38 with the words "and containing besides a few pictures" which is in the middle of the second to last paragraph of the Introductory Note.
Christine
That's incredibly weird. My file contains the whole thing. :hmm: Just re-uploaded the whole file. Let me know if this one is better.
PROJECTS
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 1 notes:
4:31 should be "as if the projector had that sturdy feeling of permanence in life"; I heard "as if the projector had that sturdy feeling of performance in life"
24:17 should be "but the lesson is carried on in another state of being"; I heard "but the is carried out in another stage of being" (two mistaken words).
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

brownrottger wrote: August 29th, 2022, 2:29 pm Section 1 notes:
4:31 should be "as if the projector had that sturdy feeling of permanence in life"; I heard "as if the projector had that sturdy feeling of performance in life"
24:17 should be "but the lesson is carried on in another state of being"; I heard "but the is carried out in another stage of being" (two mistaken words).
Thanks! Will fix tomorrow.
PROJECTS
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

ChuckW wrote: August 29th, 2022, 1:30 pm
brownrottger wrote: August 29th, 2022, 12:45 pm Section 0 ends at 13:38 with the words "and containing besides a few pictures" which is in the middle of the second to last paragraph of the Introductory Note.
Christine
That's incredibly weird. My file contains the whole thing. :hmm: Just re-uploaded the whole file. Let me know if this one is better.
My bad. My recording skipped to the end so I assumed it stopped where it stopped playing, sorry.
Anywho, there is one note at the end.
13:28 missing the Preface author's name: "Una Hawthorne"
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Chuck,

Please confirm if you plan to continue with this project. Your last post here was 6 months ago. Otherwise, I will be moving it to the abandoned solos list as per the following policy
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Jo