[SOLO] Studies In The Psychology Of Sex, Volume 3, by Havelock Ellis - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 7th, 2023, 11:22 am Hi Claire! I've signed you up for the rest of the sections, and you also have access to the first post, in case you'd like to change the summary for example, or add keywords, etc.

You also have access to the Magic Window. Here's the guide on the Magic Window if needed: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Ask if anything is unclear.

You may need to split chapters if they feel too long to be in one section. You can do that as you go along, and add sections.
Thank you! I'll take a look over the MW and the chapters and make any adjustments within the next few days.
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We're now in Going Solo!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

If there are some very large foreign words that I'm just not sure how to pronounce, should I just do my best? I do look up pronunciations, but these are some of the toughest I've come across (examples at the bottom).

Additionally, as I'm going through the chapters, am I able to add a section into the MW if I find a chapter should be broken into more than one section? First time I'm running across this, so wanted to double check.

Examples:
("Die Entstehung der Geschlechtscharaktere," Archiv für Gynäkologie, 1903, pp. 205-308)

("Geschlechtstrieb und echt Sekundäre Geschlechtsmerkmale als Folge der innerskretorischen Funktion der Keimdrusen," Zentralblatt für Physiologie, Bd. xxiv, Nu. 13, 1910)
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

An option is, if you'd like, to post these phrases for someone to record for you to imitate the pronunciation. You can post at viewtopic.php?t=40285 "Pronunciation help: all languages"
Google Translate https://translate.google.com can also voice phrases, from the loudspeaker icon - it alternates between normal and slow speed with each click.
(as a side note, if these phrases are in the footnotes, you can just skip the footnotes :lol: )

You can add more sections as you go, from the "Add New Section" button in the Magic Window (that's the first button of the three buttons above the Section table: "Add new section", "Add new reader", "assign reader section"). The New section will appear at the end of the table, but you can drag and drop it wherever you want it, to re-order the sections.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 11th, 2023, 1:39 pm An option is, if you'd like, to post these phrases for someone to record for you to imitate the pronunciation. You can post at viewtopic.php?t=40285 "Pronunciation help: all languages"
Google Translate https://translate.google.com can also voice phrases, from the loudspeaker icon - it alternates between normal and slow speed with each click.
(as a side note, if these phrases are in the footnotes, you can just skip the footnotes :lol: )

You can add more sections as you go, from the "Add New Section" button in the Magic Window (that's the first button of the three buttons above the Section table: "Add new section", "Add new reader", "assign reader section"). The New section will appear at the end of the table, but you can drag and drop it wherever you want it, to re-order the sections.
Thanks for the tips :) Definitely going to skip any footnotes that have some tougher words,but sometimes they can't be avoided. :lol:
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If you do decide to read those examples above:

pp = pages

Bd = Band (volume)

Nu = Nummer (number)

xxiv = 24

Just in case you were wondering!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Just checking in to let you all know I'm still actively recording this. Section 3 is very long, and I'll end up breaking it out into at least 2, if not 3 sections. I'll evaluate once I have the whole section recorded. I'll adjust the MW before I upload the files.
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:clap: cheering you on!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! MW has been updated and sections 3,4,5 are ready for PL whenever available. No rush of course!

Thank you!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, team,

I'm down with a cold (again...?!?), and can't sleep due to my hips aching from being in bed too long. Such a problem, I know. Nevertheless, it means that I started in on the PLing.

One note for us going forward--Claire is NOT using "quote" and "end quote." This is fine, it's up to the BC (which is Claire!). But just in case I forget, or just in case (Heaven forbid), someone else has to step in later to PL, this is good to know for consistency.

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

stepheather wrote: December 29th, 2023, 3:27 am Hi, team,

I'm down with a cold (again...?!?), and can't sleep due to my hips aching from being in bed too long. Such a problem, I know. Nevertheless, it means that I started in on the PLing.

One note for us going forward--Claire is NOT using "quote" and "end quote." This is fine, it's up to the BC (which is Claire!). But just in case I forget, or just in case (Heaven forbid), someone else has to step in later to PL, this is good to know for consistency.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Hope you feel better soon Stephanie! Rest up, and have a peaceful New Year's.
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Sections 6 and 7 have been uploaded and marked ready for PL whenever convenient. Thank you!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Cbteddy wrote: December 24th, 2023, 7:02 pm Hello! MW has been updated and sections 3,4,5 are ready for PL whenever available. No rush of course!

Thank you!
Hi, Claire! I made it through Section 3 over the course of a few days. :)

Overall, this is great. It's difficult to read the long passages as exactly as you do.

I do have some PL notes. I did not mark pronunciation of the foreign names and words, although you may still want to take up the option of getting help on the forum Rapunzelina noted earlier. In fact, you could see if someone was willing to record all those titles for you, and then (although it would be a different voice) you could edit those into your recording. If you do that, it might make sense to have the person read the entire citation. For those words actually used in sentences, you could perhaps see if you could copy someone's pronunciation. There are fewer of those than of the journal titles, etc., so it might not be as difficult.

This list is long, but for the most part, there are three types of things I'm marking:
1) You occasionally read "physiological" where it should be "psychological" and vice versa. He's trying to contract those two, so those seem important.
2) You left out bibliographical information that is in the body of the text (primarily in parentheses).
3) The word "contrectation" is pronounced a few different ways, and if I wasn't following along, I'm not sure whether I would realize you were saying the same word. It's not a very common word in everyday speech, so I don't know whether it's worth changing, but having it be different is a bit confusing. This website has several AI pronunciations of it: https://www.definitions.net/pronounce/contrectation.

You may already know these best practices, but just in case...
1. When/if you make any of these edits, you'll want to start from the end of my list and work backward so that the time stamps stay the same for you to be able to find them.
2. Since many of these are optional, please copy and paste this list and let me know whether or not you changed them! You don't have to explain why or why not...just whether you did. :)
3. It's helpful if you can provide the new time stamps BUT that requires more work on your part, so I'm fine if you don't.

Okay! I look forward to Section 4 (perhaps over the weekend, but hopefully next week if I don't get to it this weekend).

Thanks, and good reading!
Stephanie

4:09--read "physiological"; should be "psychological"--this one changes the meaning in the opposite direction! I strongly suggest editing this one.
9:02--read "produced"; should be "proceeded"--optional--this one just doesn't make much sense
14:28--left out "Band"--"volume" according to Rapunzelina--before 24, number 13, 1910
15:28--left out "(Erotisieurung)"--optional, but it seems like you were reading all of the parenthetical elements
16:28--left out "1." before "true casterati"
17:19--left out "lib." in the citation from Martial--I'm not enitrely sure what this one means and I couldn't find it easily. It's possible Rapunzalina might know, but I would just pronounce it "lib" if you can't figure it out.
21:49--left out "Band"--"volume" according to Rapunzelina--before 35, 1889 (in the reference to Gläveke)
22:05--left out "Band"--"volume" according to Rapunzelina--before 56, 1898 (in the reference to Pfister)
22:06--read "61"; should be "56" (in the reference to Pfister)
22:47--left out "et seq." in the reference to Adler (Die Mangelhafte Geschlechtsempfindung des Weibes, 1904, p. 75 et seq.); should be read as "et sequentes"
25:05--left out "ibid." in the sentence "A Medical Inquiry Committee appointed by the Liverpool Medical Institute (ibid., p. 617)..."; can be pronounced "eye-bid" (or you can say the Latin word in full: ibidem)
25:29--"quote" is used...check whether you want to leave it in
26:20--"end quote"--same as above
33:08--left out "fasc" in "(Carlo Ceni, "L'Influenza dei Centri Corticali sui Fenomeni della Generazione," Revista Sperimentale di Freniatria, 1907, fasc. 2-3)"--found it online: fascicle (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fascicle)
39:30-31--read "psychological"; should be "physiological" (in the sentence: "he complete mutual satisfaction, physical and psychic, of mother and child, in the transfer from one to the other of a precious organized fluid, is the one true physiological analogy to the relationship of a man and a woman at the climax of the sexual act.")--this one changes the meaning pretty substantially--in the opposite direction as the first PL note at 4:09.
43:00-45:50--throughout this whole section discussing Moll, you are pronouncing "contrectation" differently almost every time. Please listen starting around 43:00 and determine whether you want to change this or not.
46:33-48:40--left out page references when quoting Darwin (in the sentences following "The two following groups of extracts will serve to show this very conclusively:"
50:32--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously)
51:30--read "psychological"; should be "physiological"
54:45--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously)
54:50--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously) (it almost sounds like "consecration" here--which is definitely different!)
55:04--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously)
55:40--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously)
55:55--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously)
56:35--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously) (it almost sounds like "consecration" here--which is definitely different!)
56:52--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously) (it almost sounds like "consecration" here--which is definitely different!)
57:11--"contrectation" again (in case you decide to change it previously) (it almost sounds like "consecration" here--which is definitely different!)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 8 has been added to the MW.

I appreciate all the feedback on section 3, and I'll definitely go back and make the suggested corrections. This is the most scientific/clinical type reading I've done so far, so I figured I'd struggle a little bit getting into the groove with the flow. So the first few sections may be a bit more rocky. I'm feeling more comfortable with the past few sections, so hopefully there will be less to correct. Thanks for your patience, and thanks again for PLing! Very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

At long last! Section 4 is quite well done.

I only have optional PL notes for section 4, so I've marked it as PL okay. If you choose to make these edits (or any others pertaining to foreign language pronunciations), just give me the time stamps and mark it is as ready for spot PL.

Thanks,
Stephanie

6:44--optional--read "dictated," should be "directed"--"the interest of the female would first have been directed, not to the plumage,"--it changes it some, but may not be important enough to correct
24:14--optional--read "eleven," should be "twenty-one"--"Fabre also describes in great detail (ibid., ninth series, chs. xxi-xxii)"
30:39--optional--read "twenty-four," should just be "twenty"--"At intervals of two or three minutes he soars vertically up to a height of twenty or twenty-five yards to utter his song"
34:56--optional--consider adding 1 second between the end of your reading and your ending statement, and then cutting 1 second or so from the silence at the end; the addition of the second would make the ending just a little less abrupt, but overall it's fine. :)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes