[SOLO] Studies In The Psychology Of Sex, Volume 3, by Havelock Ellis - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 9 is ready for PL whenever able. No rush of course! Thank you for the feedback on 4. I know I still owe edits for section 3, which I'm going to try to get done this weekend. Hope you are well!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 10 is ready for PL whenever available. No rush of course! Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Just an update--life has been rough. We also have a two-week vacation with my brother and SIL visiting. That said, it's also possible I can do some listening during the down times!

I have started on section 5. :)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

stepheather wrote: February 19th, 2024, 7:51 am Just an update--life has been rough. We also have a two-week vacation with my brother and SIL visiting. That said, it's also possible I can do some listening during the down times!

I have started on section 5. :)
Hi Stephanie! Thanks for the update, and no worries at all. Pesky life always getting in the way of the fun stuff we don't always have time for :lol:

No rush at all. I still owe some edits and will record some more as I'm able to. Hope it calms down for you a bit, and enjoy your vacation!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 11 has been added to the MW and ready for PL whenever able. No rush of course!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 12 has been uploaded to the MW. I hope all is going well for you!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi! Well, I had a wonderful vacation that was VERY full, so I didn't get any time. And then I caught a cold, and we haven't been able to get water (there's severe drought here), but I was determined to work on this today.

So--here are the notes from Section 5! Note that almost all of these are optional, and in fact, if you don't want to fix the others, it would be fine overall. Great work on this massive section. :)

7:34--left out "et seq."--it means "and the following"; in the citation: "R. E. Guise, "On the Tribes of the Wanigela River," Journal of the Anthropological Institute, new series, vol. i, 1899, pp. 209, 214 et seq.)"
13:19--optional--read "communication," should be "communion"--"Among the hill tribes of the Central Indian Hills may be traced a desire to secure communion with the spirit of fertility embodied in vegetation." This one changes the meaning a bit, but it's up to you.
17:56--it seems like something got cut off here (or you stumbled)--but the page range sounds odd--listen and let me know what you think: "Then the women began to rotate the pelvis backward and forward, and the men to thrust their bodies forward, the dance becoming a pantomimic representation of sexual intercourse (ibid., vol. i, 1823, pp. 373-5)"
18:13--does "ht." stand for "volume"? "Buscalioni, "Reise zu den Apinages," Zeitschrift für Ethnologie, 1899, ht. 6, p. 650."
25:42--optional--read "book," should be "tome"--"Eysséric, "La Côte d'Ivoire," Nouvelles Archives des Missions Scientifiques, tome ix, 1890, pp. 241-49.)"
28:11--optional--read "book," should be "tome"--"("Rapport sur une Mission en Islande et aux lies Féroë," Nouvelles Archives des Missions Scientifiques, tome vii, 1897, p. 285)"
30:56--optional--"cf" means "cross reference"--you skip it here: " cf. "Showing-off and Bashfulness," Pedagogical Seminary, June, 1903.)"
41:17--read "physiological," should be "psychological": "This psychological fact has been independently discovered by advertisers,"
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 13 is ready for review whenever able. Thanks so much!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 14 has been uploaded to the MW and is ready for review whenever convenient. Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, there! Just checking in.

I finished Section 6 today. Huh. It is very interesting given how much society has turned against this.

Anyway, there is just one here here that I didn't mark as optional, but as always, you have the power to determine which of these you'd like to make. Just let me know which ones ARE made so I can double check around the edits.

5:06--left out a sentence--"Here, indeed, we have the source of that love of cruelty which some have found so marked in women."
11:33--optional--read "Henry VIII"; should be "Henry VII": "In England it was not until Henry VII's time that the violent seizure of a woman was made a criminal offense"
17:12--optional--left out "cf," which means "cross reference"--"J. Turnbull, A Voyage Round the World, 1813, p. 98; cf. Brough Smyth, Aborigines of Victoria, 1878, vol. i, p. 81."
20:45--optional--left out "et seq." (et sequentes) or "and the following"--"W. W. Skeat, Journal Anthropological Institute, Jan.-June, 1902, p. 134; Skeat and Blagden, Pagan Races of the Malay, vol. ii, p. 69 et seq., fully discuss the ceremony around the mound."
23:27--optional--left out "et seq." (et sequentes) or "and the following"--"J. L. Burckhardt, Notes on the Bedouins and Wahábys, 1830, p. 149 et seq.)"
24:10--optional--silence seems about 0.5 second too long--just before "In China, a missionary describes how, when he was called upon to marry the daughter of a Chinese Christian"
25:42--optional--left out "tr.," which means "translated by"--"(Les Mille Nuits, tr. Mardrus, vol. xi, p. 253.)"
26:29--optional--left out citation, I assume because of the Greek--"(Κρυπτάδια, vol. vi, p. 209.)"
28:04--optional--again, the silence seems just a little long with the pace of the rest of the chapter--maybe cut by 0.5 sec--just before "Ovid had said that a little force is pleasing to a woman,"
29:04--optional--left out "e.g.," which means "for example"--"(See, e.g., C. F. von Schlichtegroll, Sacher-Masoch und der Masochismus, p. 69.)"
29:56--optional--left out "op. cit." (opere citato), which means "in the work cited"--(V. Schlichtegroll, op. cit., p. 23.)
32:42--optional--this silence is about 1 second longer than is comfortable (about 3 seconds)--cut by 1 to 1.5 seconds--just before "'"The prostitute really loves her souteneur,"
36:08--optional--check pronunciation of "acrocephalic"--I don't feel like I'm hearing the middle syllable (ce) properly, but I don't actually know this word!
38:00--optional--read "pages", should be "fasc" in "(Archivio di Psichiatria, vol. xx, fasc. 5-6, p. 528.)"

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Sections 15 and 16 are posted in the MW and ready for review whenever able. Thank you!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Section 7 PL notes:

Phew! That was a lot! Some of his statements, wellllll...yeah.

Comments aside, you did well. I had a few comments. Again, nothing too serious, and although I am marking this as needing edits, you can review and decide whether they're worth it.

4:11--omitted--"Apart altogether from sexual excitement, being pinched is unpleasant to me." This seems like an important sentence in the context.
4:26--optional--check your pronounciation of "amorousness"--I think it is pronounced "a more us ness"--see https://www.howtopronounce.com/amorousness. I didn't really understand what you were saying, but perhaps it is another pronunciation I just am not familiar with!
8:00--optional--left out "news" in "London police news"--there seems seems to be a click there as well
13:44--optional--an odd click in the phrase "under some circumstances, pain, or the idea of pain, is felt as pleasurable"
37:52--left out "et seq." in "Mantegazza, Gli Amori degli Uomini, French translation, p. 83 et seq"; should be read as "et sequentes"
38:00--optional--I think you say "cornea" instead of "corona"--it's up to you if you want to change this one--"fasten the eyelids of goats with the eyelashes round the corona"
42:30--optional--slight stumble on "physiology"--"(F. H. A. Marshall, The Physiology of Reproduction, pp. 246-248.)"
44:44--optional--slight stumble on phrase "should desire to subject to such insults a woman whom he loves passionately"
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I comment on the length of Section 7 knowing full well that there are other long sections coming; I've in fact started listening to the longer Section 8 today as well. You're doing an amazing job recording all of these!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes