[COMPLETE] The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

kristakz wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 6:02 am And thank you (again) for picking up my missed line.
You know, the only reason that I catch those is that I went ahead and read the whole thing to my wife as I was recording.

One more to edit, then that extra bit.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

deLorinel wrote: June 26th, 2023, 4:48 am
kristakz wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 6:02 am And thank you (again) for picking up my missed line.
You know, the only reason that I catch those is that I went ahead and read the whole thing to my wife as I was recording.

One more to edit, then that extra bit.
Then thank you also to your wife :)

These are queued for PL.
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Chapter 17 is hopefully awaiting an addition from Miles Hendon,
but chapter 18 is now ready for PL.
Krista
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is the missing Miles for Chapter 17.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/princeandthepauper_mileshendon_17.mp3

Thanks, Todd
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

ToddHW wrote: June 27th, 2023, 2:17 pm Here is the missing Miles for Chapter 17.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/princeandthepauper_mileshendon_17.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Thank you very much, Todd! This is PL OK :thumbs:
Krista
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

Upon request, here's my attempt at providing missing Prince lines. If I can improve it in any way, let me know. It's a fine line between adjusting pitch for a child, and for a chipmunk!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/princeandthepauper_narrator_prince_28.mp3 - 1:16
sati

Post by sati »

Thank you for your patience :)
All the above sections are marked PL OK!
Regarding this
I'm not sure I'm happy with some of the volume levels, but figured I'd get the PL's input before redoing the whole thing.
It's completely understandable that you have concerns about certain volume levels. While there was a slight discernible change in the sound, it wasn't something particularly strange.
As Krista mentioned, she will handle any noticeable differences, if there are any.
sati

Post by sati »

GettingTooOld wrote: June 5th, 2023, 6:03 am
Andrea42 wrote: May 19th, 2023, 2:45 pm Tom Canty's last chapter.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/princeandthepauper_tomcanty_32.mp3
Length: 4:20
Thank you for your patience.
I have greatly enjoyed being Tom and look forward to hearing the play all together.
:clap:
Hello I am not meant to be writing here as it says FULL on the topic, I hope to be forgiven in advance. I want to try my ear at PL, and wanted an easy place to start by comparing what I hear with a real PL who does the actual job properly. I listened to this section and if I were a real PL which I am not, I would have found it ok, with one word missing that does not change the meaning and I think is inconsequential. There were only two things I found.
2:46 I hear "amirror" the text is "a mirror" this is nothing at all, it's fine. I would not change this.
3:02 I hear a missing word "I cannot [..] even write" text reads "I cannot yet even write" I would not change this, but I should mention it to prove I was awake.

I shall run off now and find somewhere to hide that I won't get in trouble and check back to see what a real pl says.
(while I read the how to be a pl docs)
While I might have made a similar note as the PL, mentioning the omission of one word at 3:02, I would likely overlook it since it doesn't significantly alter the meaning of the text.

Thank you for lending an ear, I truly appreciate it. However, I kindly request please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks! :wink:
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

deLorinel wrote: June 29th, 2023, 2:04 am Upon request, here's my attempt at providing missing Prince lines. If I can improve it in any way, let me know. It's a fine line between adjusting pitch for a child, and for a chipmunk!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/princeandthepauper_narrator_prince_28.mp3 - 1:16
Thank you very much!
Still hoping our Prince might return in the next few weeks, but this will work wonderfully if they do not. PL OK!
Krista
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

sati wrote: June 29th, 2023, 1:18 pm Thank you for lending an ear, I truly appreciate it. However, I kindly request please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks! :wink:
I'm pretty sure I made it apparent that I was trying my hand at it, when I look for something to PL I look for something that either has a ~ prefix on the title or indicates in the thread and MW that it's open. Perhaps I accidentally made the sinful mistake in the past by downloading something to try to PL it and match up against the gutenberg text, however I do my best to look for something that is indicated as needing a PL. Obviously if I have done it a few times I'll know that I can before I sign up for it, but how can I tell if I can do it without practicing first?

There have been a number of times where it's indicated that a PL is required. I try to download a small section, listen through once to see if I can hear and understand all the words without using the text (having text to read as you listen changes the way you hear something, it changes what you actually hear, according to the way the brain works) (edit: it's called the McGurk effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0) then I get the text and listen again, fire for effect as it were, and jot down anything of note. Then by the time that is done, someone else has beat me to it and got the job. That's ok, but I'd have to be confident enough by having one PL under my belt at least before doing it different I would think.

I think it is appropriate that I am able to comprehend the speech which has been recorded, if there is a strong accent and I have no hope of understanding the pronunciation, I would feel a right FOOL if I signed up as PL first, and learned my mistake afterward. Obviously, I can save everyone some time if I at least have a clue wether or not I can do the job or not.

If the reader is a newbie and has no book under their belt on IA, is there some easier way I can work out if I should sign on as PL Without wasting everyones time. I can't see the process to get a sample explained anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding doing things differently to how I'm doing them now.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

GettingTooOld wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:10 am
I think it is appropriate that I am able to comprehend the speech which has been recorded, if there is a strong accent and I have no hope of understanding the pronunciation, I would feel a right FOOL if I signed up as PL first, and learned my mistake afterward. Obviously, I can save everyone some time if I at least have a clue wether or not I can do the job or not.
I understand your concern, but there is a flaw in your logic here. Unless you are signing up to PL a solo project, there will be multiple different readers, all with their own accent. If you try to wait for something you can guarantee in every section, you'll never find a PL job.
I saw your comments from PL on this thread - you seem to have a good grasp of what is needed as a PL. I think you should just take the leap - pick a project that interests you and sign up.
If you are looking to PL just a section of an existing project, you do need to claim it in the comments before you start, to avoid the issue of wasting time when someone claims it out from underneath you. There is no shame in returning a job, if you decide you can't do it. Just don't hold it too long if that's the case.
If the reader is a newbie and has no book under their belt on IA, is there some easier way I can work out if I should sign on as PL Without wasting everyones time. I can't see the process to get a sample explained anywhere.
I suppose if you really want a preview of someone, you could listen to their 1-minute test (if you click a forum name, you can see their posts and find that thread, since everyone who records needs to provide one). That would perhaps help you decide, for a solo project, if you might have difficulty with a particular user's accent.
Krista
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

kristakz wrote: July 1st, 2023, 5:43 am
GettingTooOld wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:10 am If the reader is a newbie and has no book under their belt on IA, is there some easier way I can work out if I should sign on as PL Without wasting everyones time. I can't see the process to get a sample explained anywhere.
I suppose if you really want a preview of someone, you could listen to their 1-minute test (if you click a forum name, you can see their posts and find that thread, since everyone who records needs to provide one). That would perhaps help you decide, for a solo project, if you might have difficulty with a particular user's accent.
The one minute tests are run from the same server, no?, so it's the same 'we want to save the servers bandwidth problem'. It's also not suggested as a solution to the 'do not listen until after you have decided problem'. This reminds me of parents who tell the kids not to stand around with the fridge door wide open while they make up their minds what they'd like to eat. They don't have X-ray vision, which would fix everything, and I guess the best to hope for is that they'd be mindful of the electricity bill. (until they own a supermarket, where there are no doors on the cheese/yogurt/milk/meat fridges, they just spew power bills out onto the floor day in day out making a mockery of energy saving efforts.)
I understand your concern, but there is a flaw in your logic here. [...]
If you are looking to PL just a section of an existing project, you do need to claim it in the comments before you start, to avoid the issue of wasting time when someone claims it out from underneath you. There is no shame in returning a job, if you decide you can't do it. Just don't hold it too long if that's the case.
That would perhaps defeat my purpose of not wanting to waste people's time.
I can't really see that being added as a suggestion, to grab a section if you're a newbie who'se not sure and return it later if you remember :oops:
If someone claims it out from underneath me, as is often the case up till now, then it doesn't waste anyones time but mine, which is ok, it's just that you're pointing out I shouldn't be listening in the first place, which is what I'm trying to address (for myself and every newbie).
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

GettingTooOld wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 3:26 am If someone claims it out from underneath me, as is often the case up till now, then it doesn't waste anyones time but mine, which is ok, it's just that you're pointing out I shouldn't be listening in the first place, which is what I'm trying to address (for myself and every newbie).

In this particular case, it seems Krista's saying that volunteering to PL a single section, then giving it up if you can't complete it satisfactorily, is acceptable to her as BC.

The more general conundrum you describe had perhaps better be addressed in the Help forum. Krista didn't make this policy, but perhaps the admins have more perspective on why it is what it is.

To get started on PL myself, I found an experienced reader doing a solo, and asked if he'd be ok with a newbie PL. I made any notes I thought were appropriate, but as the BC, he was welcome to tell me if I was going overboard.
This is a team activity, and everybody learns sometime, so a little understanding and a little gentle correction go a long way. You may feel bad about wasting someone's time, but most folks don't think it's a waste to foster new contributors, even if it's a little less efficient in the moment.
I'd love to hear if that's helpful to you, but over in the Help forum. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Sections 17 & 19 are ready for PL
Krista