Post by llamaart »

Just one small PL note.

Please add 3-5 seconds of silence between "Alas," and "We must leave..."

Best wishes, Allie
In God I trust.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Allie,

I have a small comment/suggestion. I was looking at Chapter 6 in preparation to record it and came upon this line for Eliza. "I’ve made some pasties for you, and you might as well go into the Park as not. It’s a lovely day.’" There is a word in this line which has two pronunciations with two different meanings. The word in question is "pasties". One pronunciation, the one used by Victoria in her reading, 'paste-ies', refers to certain kinds of 'clothing' used by a certain kind of dancer. The other pronunciation 'past-ies' is for a large to medium-sized battered deep-fried round of minced meat and vegetables common to Northern Ireland and Scotland. I think, in context, that Eliza is referring to the latter item. As there might be someone else who knows the difference, she (Victoria) should probably rerecord this small line. Just a thought.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Well, I've certainly learned something today! I would have put down that pronunciation difference to local dialect, rather than being a totally different word. :shock:

As the BC, Allie can decide whether she thinks this might be confusing, and request a re-record if so.

Your post is a suggestion, but just to be sure folks know:
This would be an optional request, because Standard PL is intentionally pretty loose on pronunciation. We have readers with many regional dialects and accents, and also many differences in, uh, "topical knowledge".
To give one example, a certain other treat might be pronounced "sk-OH-n", "sk-OO-n", or "sk-UH-n", depending where you're from - and all are correct.

And also to be sure it's stated: if Allie (as the BC) asked for help in PLing this file, then that's one thing. If she did not, folks really ought not to be downloading files until the project is catalogued.
When the BC (or the DPL they might delegate the task to) gives the PL OK, that's the final word. In dramatic works, the editor may discover something missing later on, but that's a special circumstance. Readers, please do NOT download files for ongoing projects if that is not your role.
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Thank you both! I think it is fine to leave it the way Victoria said it. I don't think listeners will get confused as it is implied that a pasty is something you eat. I appreciate the careful read of the scrip you've been doing Wayne! It has been a big help!

Best wishes, Allie.
In God I trust.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wayne
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Thank you so much!
Just one small PL note: At 12:23 there is a missing word "And" The text reads "battledore and shuttlecock and les graces"

Best wishes, Allie.
In God I trust.
blueriveriris

Post by blueriveriris »

All the world's a stage.-Shakespeare
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Could I claim the Gruff Governess? I can curl my r's with the best of them!

Thanks,
Winnifred
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

of course! Welcome aboard!

Best wishes, Allie.
In God I trust.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

llamaart wrote: December 27th, 2023, 8:23 am Thank you so much!
Just one small PL note: At 12:23 there is a missing word "And" The text reads "battledore and shuttlecock and les graces"

Best wishes, Allie.
Well, here is the correction in Chapter 6 (13:23). I got so involved trying to say 'les graces' correctly, I forgot to put in the 'and'. :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/storyofthetresureseekers_narrator_06.mp3

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Allie,

Reading through Chapter 7, I think there are some lines which Albert-next-door should read. The first one in is the first line on the top of page 6: bad for H. O. Albert-next-door said, ‘You haven’t any manners, and I want to go in to my tea. Let go of me!’

A second one is at the bottom of the second paragraph after: When he had tried to cough, he said, ‘Leave go of me! You see my cold’s getting worse.’

Wayne
Wayne
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Thanks! I'll get those fixed!
In God I trust.
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Kalamareader wrote: January 6th, 2024, 2:56 pm
llamaart wrote: December 27th, 2023, 8:23 am Thank you so much!

Best wishes, Allie.
Well, here is the correction in Chapter 6 (13:23). I got so involved trying to say 'les graces' correctly, I forgot to put in the 'and'. :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/storyofthetresureseekers_narrator_06.mp3

Wayne
It's PL OK now! :thumbs:
In God I trust.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wayne