Just David by Eleanor H. Porter - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Jenn. I have fixed 8 and 10 and uploaded a few more chapters. As an obviously well read person and of the female persuasion (can I say that these days?) , I am interested in your feelings about this story and how Porter developed it. I won't say more because the coming chapters are very .... interesting let's say. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

philchenevert wrote: July 9th, 2022, 8:52 am Jenn. I have fixed 8 and 10 and uploaded a few more chapters. As an obviously well read person and of the female persuasion (can I say that these days?) , I am interested in your feelings about this story and how Porter developed it. I won't say more because the coming chapters are very .... interesting let's say. :D
I'm intrigued! Will work on catching up with PLing. Our household all came down with the dreaded C-sickness and recovery hasn't been as quick as I would have liked.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: July 11th, 2022, 7:38 pm
philchenevert wrote: July 9th, 2022, 8:52 am Jenn. I have fixed 8 and 10 and uploaded a few more chapters. As an obviously well read person and of the female persuasion (can I say that these days?) , I am interested in your feelings about this story and how Porter developed it. I won't say more because the coming chapters are very .... interesting let's say. :D
I'm intrigued! Will work on catching up with PLing. Our household all came down with the dreaded C-sickness and recovery hasn't been as quick as I would have liked.
Oh my goodness, that is bad! The dreaded C virus. Please know that there is no pressure at all to PL these. I have a lot going on these days with my wife who is getting weaker all the time. Try to stay healthy.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Chapters 8 and 10 are Spot PL-OK!

Chapters 13 and 14 are PL-OK!

I am so sorry to hear that you wife is getting weaker :cry:
Will keep her in my thoughts.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Chapters 15 and 16 are PL-OK!

Really curious to find out what happened between Jack and the Lady of the Roses!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Chapters 17-20 are PL-OK!

Well I certainly didn't expect the gulf between Jack and Miss Holbrook to be about the lack of a flying flag. Seems a little silly to me but I'll reserve final judgment until more is revealed.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: July 18th, 2022, 8:38 pm Chapters 17-20 are PL-OK!

Well I certainly didn't expect the gulf between Jack and Miss Holbrook to be about the lack of a flying flag. Seems a little silly to me but I'll reserve final judgment until more is revealed.
Keep listening. I really want your opinion about this book. And i agree that it was more than silly.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Chapters 21 and 22 are PL-OK!

Gosh, these 2 chapters had me biting my nails to see if he would make it.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: July 21st, 2022, 7:40 pm Chapters 21 and 22 are PL-OK!

Gosh, these 2 chapters had me biting my nails to see if he would make it.
I knew what was going to happen but still while recording those chapters of his sickness it still had me a bit nervous.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Was able to listen to the remaining chapters this evening!

Chapters 24 and 25 are PL-OK!

Chapter 23 Note:
4:08 and 4:11- repeat of “David’s eyes widened a little.

And now my thoughts on this book.

This book caught my eye to DPL because I am somewhat of a musician myself and love to read about music. I’m a singer but sadly can’t play a physical instrument (though us singers like to say we ARE the instrument). Anywho, my jaded and cynical side was rolling my eyes thinking that this book was too sweet and that the way David saw the world and the things he said was just too much to swallow and was unbelievable.

But then the stronger, romantic part of me and the part of me that NEEDS there to be good things in this life after experiencing some very difficult things in the past so many years, absolutely LOVED this book and everything about David. I loved the way he saw things and thought about things. I loved that his feelings and emotions came out into music. I absolutely loved David and what he stood for. I have a miracle child who sees things differently than most children and teaches me everyday to see beauty in stuff I wouldn’t have even noticed and he isn’t even 3 yet! Some parts of David reminded me of my son (who sings all day long because music touches his soul).

So in summary. A part of me thought this book was full of mush and silliness. But a much stronger part of me thought this book was wonderful with SO many messages that people need to hear.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thank you so much for your feelings about this book. I enjoyed... no, I reveled in the sheer openness to beauty and life, indeed to everything life offers, expressed by David's attitude. The sheer joy of existence is so easily lost and he carried the flame with him wherever he went. Sure, he was naive and it was kind of mushy and I did not like the romance novel type of artificial misunderstanding she used to keep the pauper and the princess not speaking. That rang false to me. But overall I just love to think that this book was very popular and that others resonate with the idea that the world needs to be looked at with fresh and curious eyes all the time, not just on special occasions.

Thank you again for giving me your opinion. Your son has fresh eyes and can show you new ways of seeing things. But then you are open to it, not closed and that makes all the difference. :thumbs: :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cHAPTER 23 ready for spot check.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

philchenevert wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:01 pm Thank you so much for your feelings about this book. I enjoyed... no, I reveled in the sheer openness to beauty and life, indeed to everything life offers, expressed by David's attitude. The sheer joy of existence is so easily lost and he carried the flame with him wherever he went. Sure, he was naive and it was kind of mushy and I did not like the romance novel type of artificial misunderstanding she used to keep the pauper and the princess not speaking. That rang false to me. But overall I just love to think that this book was very popular and that others resonate with the idea that the world needs to be looked at with fresh and curious eyes all the time, not just on special occasions.

Thank you again for giving me your opinion. Your son has fresh eyes and can show you new ways of seeing things. But then you are open to it, not closed and that makes all the difference. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Exactly! You put it into words better than I could :D

Chapter 23 is spot PL-OK!

Thank you letting me join you as DPL for this charming book. I know people are going to enjoy listening to it!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/just-david-version-2-by-eleanor-h-porter/

thank you Jenn. I sure wish I could find more books like this one.
:clap: :clap: