[Complete] Pagan & Christian Creeds, by Edward Carpenter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

As my mom used to say, "You are a livin' wonder!" (She was from Texas.) Thanks!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

PL Notes:
8:58 text: emaciated, heard: emancipated, in par. beginning "Everyone has noticed." ("emancipated" seems to make more sense, but I went to the original scan in archive.org, and it is indeed "emaciated")

14:58-15:05 missed cutting this out in edit

Thanks,
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
czandra

Post by czandra »

the wonder is in the eyes of the wonderer!

Cz
Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

reloading at 19:58, but Verla, I cannot replace emancipated with emaciated, no matter how many times the error has been repeated in sequential texts. The sentence is about the future we dream of. Yes, many of us would like to be thinner (!) but:
emaciated
/ɪˈmeɪsɪeɪtɪd/
adjective

abnormally thin or weak, especially because of illness or a lack of food:
"she was so emaciated she could hardly stand"

This is most definitely not the word Carpenter wished to use, and we are allowed to correct typos. Wouldn't you agree?

Cz
Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

vviera

Post by vviera »

czandra wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm reloading at 19:58, but Verla, I cannot replace emancipated with emaciated, no matter how many times the error has been repeated in sequential texts. The sentence is about the future we dream of. Yes, many of us would like to be thinner (!) but:
emaciated
/ɪˈmeɪsɪeɪtɪd/
adjective

abnormally thin or weak, especially because of illness or a lack of food:
"she was so emaciated she could hardly stand"

This is most definitely not the word Carpenter wished to use, and we are allowed to correct typos. Wouldn't you agree?

Cz
I'm fine with it. PL OK.

Cheers, VERLA
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hello there. I have been away from Librivox for a few years now, but want to get back in the game. Would love to PL the rest of this for you if that is open. Just let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
vviera

Post by vviera »

afutterer wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:43 pm Hello there. I have been away from Librivox for a few years now, but want to get back in the game. Would love to PL the rest of this for you if that is open. Just let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
That would be great. There hasn't been much action on it lately, but I assume folks will come along. Lynnet, could you please add afutterer as DPL?

Cheers, VERLA
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Anthony added as DPL
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

:clap:
Lynnet wrote: July 25th, 2022, 1:30 pm Anthony added as DPL
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
richardstibbard

Post by richardstibbard »

I would like to claim Section 11 (Chapter 7, Part 1, Rites of Expiation and Redemption).

Richard
vviera

Post by vviera »

richardstibbard wrote: July 26th, 2022, 4:40 am I would like to claim Section 11 (Chapter 7, Part 1, Rites of Expiation and Redemption).

Richard
Thank you, Richard - you got it!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

afutterer wrote: July 25th, 2022, 1:40 pm :clap:
Lynnet wrote: July 25th, 2022, 1:30 pm Anthony added as DPL
Well, Anthony, we have some action after all!

I didn't notice before you're from Wisconsin. I grew up near LaCrosse. I haven't lived there since '93, but if you listen to any of my recordings you'll hear a nice, broad-voweled, upper Midwestern accent - the way it should be! I never think I have an accent until I listen to myself. You can't take the Wisconsinite('s mouth) out of Wisconsin!

Cheers, VERLA
czandra

Post by czandra »

okay, I'll do 20 and 21. I'll have to shut myself away in a room to read it! :roll:

Czandra

richardstibbard

Post by richardstibbard »

vviera wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:26 am
richardstibbard wrote: July 26th, 2022, 4:40 am I would like to claim Section 11 (Chapter 7, Part 1, Rites of Expiation and Redemption).

Richard
Thank you, Richard - you got it!
Verla
Wow! Gruesome stuff indeed!

One point before I read it: I have come across what is almost certainly a typo or an error in encoding into HTML: "Sahagun again (in Book II, ch. 5) gives a long account of the sacrifice of a perfect youth at Easter-time—which date Sabagun connects with the Christian festival of the Resurrection" - shall I replace "Sabagun" with "Sahagun" or read what it says in the text?

Thanks!

Richard
Last edited by richardstibbard on July 26th, 2022, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Landizee

Post by Landizee »

May I read sections 29 and 30 Chapter 16, Part 1, The Exodus of Christianity and Chapter 16, Part 2, The Exodus of Christianity?