[COMPLETE][Detective Stories]The Social Gangster by Arthur B. Reeve - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

heizhima wrote: May 30th, 2022, 6:55 amI am amazed at how others are able to get through without taking such long breaks between paragraphs! I tried to move away from the mic to inhale whenever possible , and can see how that may add seconds each time.
ah that's how it happened. Well, that's the beauty of Audacity (or any other editing program). You can take your time, breathe in and out between each sentence if you wish, or even take a break of over 10 seconds and let the recording run on. This will be your "raw recording". At a second stage, all these long pauses can get cut out easily and the remaining track will sound much more fluent, and nobody would know there was so much "rubbish" in it in the first round. :lol: Though I would recommend leaving some kind of breathing in, don't cut out all the breaths. It's human to breathe, only robots don't breathe and a long recording without any natural breathing sound tends to put the listener into uncanny valley. ;)

As an example, my raw material of about 20 minutes may well end up as a 15 minute final track. This is normal for me. The second editing phase usually takes me 3 to 4 times as long as the initial recording.
I have never edited on Audacity before (the only function, besides record/stop, is the Effect > Amplify we've been told in instructions. Hope it's alright if it takes me about a week to get back to you, as I am sure that I may get similar feedback with the other reads and will try to do them all at once.
Cutting silences is really really easy. I predict these edits will not take you more than 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.
Will you please explain what you mean by "start at the last note {. . .] work your way up"? Am I re-recording or cutting?
definitely NO re-recording ! :shock: You only need to do some small cuts, re-recording would be such a waste of time. And the risk of having other errors in the new recording are high, so best work on the flawlessly read file you have now. Editing is always preferred over re-recording as it saves time both for the reader and also the DPLer.

I meant: start cutting at the last time stamp I mentioned in my PL notes. Then the one before last, and so on, until you come to the very first PL note. That way the time stamps I gave you stay the same for you and you find them back easily. Imagine if you start cutting from the first PL note, the time stamps will move forward 1 or 2 seconds each time you cut, so by the time you reach the 5th note or more, the time stamps I gave you will be quite changed. This makes it more difficult for you to find them.

So how to proceed, as an example:
> from 16:42 to 16:44: (p. 163) between "was living" and "that night
> highlight from 16:42 to 16:43 for example, then press the delete button. And that's it.
> to make accurate cuts, press the magnifying glass in the top menu, then the Audacity window with the waves will be bigger. I usually from with a window that shows every second in the upper ruler bar. That way I can give accurate time stamps and can also make accurate edits.

If there are any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :) It's really not difficult, it only needs a bit of practice, you'll see.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: May 27th, 2022, 9:26 amIf you have any orphans from this project please feel free to use me. I'm always willing to help finish up a project.
ok Greg, here is your chance. Since I haven't heard back from the reader for 2 months now, I re-assigned sections 7-9 "The Diamond Queen" to you. I hope you enjoy the story. And thank you for participating. :D

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: May 31st, 2022, 11:26 pm
GregGiordano wrote: May 27th, 2022, 9:26 amIf you have any orphans from this project please feel free to use me. I'm always willing to help finish up a project.
ok Greg, here is your chance. Since I haven't heard back from the reader for 2 months now, I re-assigned sections 7-9 "The Diamond Queen" to you. I hope you enjoy the story. And thank you for participating. :D

Sonia
I am excited to be on board!

Thank you!

Greg
crr7735

Post by crr7735 »

Kitty wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:47 am
crr7735 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 5:27 pmUploaded Social Ganster - Section 19 - X-Ray Detective, please review and if time and energy permit, provide feedback for improvement.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_19_reeve_128kb.mp3
ok I also managed to listen to your section still... a very lively performance, I love all the different voices you are giving the characters :thumbs: I love to do that myself so it's lovely for me to hear others do it too. Your text is nearly wordperfect, a very good narrative, I very much enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next chapters. I bet the painting is fake :lol:

There are a few edits to make, but most of my notes concern the lengthy silences, so don't get a shock when you see them. It's very quickly edited ;) I would suggest starting with the last note and working your way up, that way the time stamps stay the same for you. Yes the silences are sometimes a little too long for comfort here. Anything over 2 seconds feels like it's dragged out unnecessarily, especially for someone who listens. Usually 1 to 1.5 maximum, even between paragraphs is fully enough. I noted down what needs to get cut a bit, only do those cuts, so I only need to do spot PLs. If you change anything else, please give me those time stamps as well, to make my job easier, otherwise I will have to listen to it all from the beginning. :?

> the volume is louder than our accepted range (over 94 dB). Could you decrease by -4 to get near a good average of 89 please ?
> from 0:38 to 0:40: (p. 174) between "Dr Blythe" and "our visitor" - shorten pause
> from 0:55 to 0:58: (p. 174) between "queried Craig" and "the doctor" - shorten pause
> at 1:39: (p. 174) "about a week ago" - you say "after about a week ago"
> from 2:30 to 2:32: (p. 175) between "consciousness" and "Kennedy regarded" - shorten pause
> from 3:16 to 3:19: (p. 175) between "personal impressions" and "Dr Blythe" - shorten pause
> from 3:44 to 3:48: (p. 175) between "Watteau" and "Kennedy nodded" - shorten pause
> from 10:25 to 10:28: (p. 178) between "do something" and "good evening" - shorten pause
> from 11:36 to 11:39: (p. 179) between "silver coin" and "It's all mixed up" - shorten pause
> from 13:30 to 13:32: (p. 180) between "the night before" and "I suppose" - shorten pause
> at 15:28: (p. 181) "there was a hard, cruel sensuousness" - you say "seriousness"
> at 16:10: (p. 181) "that would dare all for the object of its love" - you say "of the object"
> from 16:21 to 16:24: (p. 181) between "highly gratified" and "what crimes" - shorten pause
> at the end: only leave 5 seconds of silence, you have 6 here

thanks

Sonia
Suggested modifications have been made and the file uploaded for

Social Ganster - Section 19 - X-Ray Detective
Length: 19:11

Thank you for all the assistance Kitty.
crr7735

Post by crr7735 »

Kitty, I see that my completion date is upon us and I am unable to complete all of the stories I volunteered to do by June 6, 2022. I commit to working through any corrections for Section 19.

If you are able to extend my assignment, I can complete Section 20 by the end of June and Section 21 will have to be reassigned. If you are unable to provide an extension, please reassign Sections 20 and 21.

I apologize for missing my timelines and look forward to future reads.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crr7735 wrote: June 4th, 2022, 11:28 pmSuggested modifications have been made and the file uploaded for
super edits, thank you very much. This section is absolutely PL ok now. :thumbs:
If you are able to extend my assignment, I can complete Section 20 by the end of June and Section 21 will have to be reassigned. If you are unable to provide an extension, please reassign Sections 20 and 21.
of course, I can grant you an extension. Especially since the project is not near completion anyway, there are still other readers we are waiting for. I'll give you one more month, hoping you can finish without stress then. So until 6th July.

I am not quite sure I understood you correctly: do you want 21 reassigned in any case or only if you couldn't get the extension ? :hmm: For the time being you'll get an extension for both sections, pending clarification.

Thanks, and looking forward to the next chapter :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Since I have not heard back from the initial volunteer, Sections 25, 26 and 27 are up for grabs again. It's the story called The Demon Engine.

Back to Readers Wanted...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

@ Eleanor and Loretta: I sent you both a PM concerning your upcoming deadline, did you see it ?

Sonia
elmachina

Post by elmachina »

Hi Sonia,

Apologies I'd totally missed the PM! Definitely happy to continue to finish my sections if OK to get an extension please - my second one is almost done so should be with you this week, then should just need the extra time for the third.

Thanks! Eleanor
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

elmachina wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:21 amApologies I'd totally missed the PM! Definitely happy to continue to finish my sections if OK to get an extension please - my second one is almost done so should be with you this week, then should just need the extra time for the third.
glad to hear back from you in time :) thank you for the update, and no problem, I can give you a one-month extension, hoping this will give you enough time to finish the sections without stress. (so: until 9th July)

Sonia
elmachina

Post by elmachina »

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:43 am glad to hear back from you in time :) thank you for the update, and no problem, I can give you a one-month extension, hoping this will give you enough time to finish the sections without stress. (so: until 9th July)

Sonia
That's great, thank you! And I've also now changed my notification settings to be alerted of PMs by email, as I only had subscribed board notifications received by email previously - so thanks for the prompt as well :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

elmachina wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:57 amI've also now changed my notification settings to be alerted of PMs by email, as I only had subscribed board notifications received by email previously
oh yes, good idea. Alerts for PMs are very important, as they often are the only way to reach the readers in case they are not subscribed to check up on a huge thread on a daily basis.

Sonia
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

I would like to claim 25 — 27, the three section of The Demon Machine, please.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JHedrick wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:14 amI would like to claim 25 — 27, the three section of The Demon Machine, please.
wohooo, so cool, thank you, Jim. Super that I have your voice for one of the stories as well :9: And we can move back again to Readers Found !

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Section 7:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_07_reeve_128kb.mp3

Rn time is 18:11

Take care,

Greg