The Princess of Cleves by Madame de Lafayette

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
hugh mac

Post by hugh mac »

hey,

I am on a librivox kick these days and i feel in need of a new project. There are a lot of great books going but none of them has really grabbed my attention. Thus i thought i would pitch The Princess de Cleves.

I read this book originally for a continental lit class. After examining the cover closely i immediately dismissed it as frivolous and stupid. I reluctantly read the first 20 pages but after that i was completely enthralled.

I was sort of surprised to see that no one has suggested this before.

anyway i wanted to throw it out to the community and see if there are any takers. I think collaborative projects are better but if there doesn't seem like there is enough interest, I think i will try it solo.

Poject Gutenberg link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/467
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Sounds like a fun project!
Cori

Post by Cori »

COPIED FROM NEWER THREAD TO KEEP FORUM TIDY!

miss stav wrote:Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:41 am
"Published anonymously in March 1678,
and set in the royal court of Henry II of France
a century earlier, it recreates that era with remarkable precision. Nearly every character except the heroine is a historic figure. Events and intrigues unfold with great faithfulness to documentary record".
Summery from Wikipedia. there is an etext in English in Project Gutenberg. There are articles in Wikipedia about The writer and the title. In the article about the title you will find the link to the etext.
If you want to wait with it until the end of November, I don't mind.
Stav.
Starlite wrote:Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:12 am
You have a lot of great ideas! I'm sure someone will pick up at least one of your suggestions in December when our month of completion is complete.

Esther
miss stav wrote:Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 am
I see that people start new projects as well as finishing old ones. SO why not to start my projects too?
lezer wrote:Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:59 am
Hi miss stav,
Your suggestion of Jo's boys was actually started as a new collaborative project this weekend - see: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

I think that is so far the only new collaborative project that has been started since we started our "Finish in November" drive - so you can feel honoured Smile

The new projects being started are mostly solo projects, I guess by people who don't have any unfinished files to record this month. Don't worry, it's almost December - these projects take months (or years!) to finish anyway, a week or two won't make much difference! And there are so many works in the public domain that we haven't got to yet...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello all.
Let's go for it, I think it is a good project. I'll help you as much as I can.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.