Joined: January 16th, 2007, 9:23 am
|Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-return-of-sherl ... nan-doyle/
The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Is there a deadline?
Target completion date of this project: September 15, 2007 (may move earlier if project fills quickly) – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. **Note -- if I haven't heard from you a month after you claim your section, I'll send you a reminder PM and then may open it up for another Holmes fan. Fair warning.
- Where do I find the text?
Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/108
- Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! Please claim both parts of a story. Where to make the division will be up to you (just make it somewhere around the middle). Note: most stories are 40-50 minutes estimated finished length, for two 20-25 minute sections. Priory School is longer, estimated 70-80 minutes finished or two 35-40 minute sections. Second Stain should clock in at two 30-minute sections.
Page numbers in parentheses refer to the "Read Online" version of the Gutenberg text.
- BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
Set your recording software to:
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
- DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
End of recording
- "Part [#] of The Adventure of [name], from The Return of Sherlock Holmes. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
"The Return of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Adventure of [name], Part [#]"
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
- At the end of the section, say:
“End of Adventure of [name], Part [#]."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
- At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of The Return of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
returnofholmes_##_doyle.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. returnofholmes_01_doyle.mp3)
ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Album: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
- If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
- If you have ftp software, go to ftp.studioae.com
Go to the chocoholic folder, then put your files in the ReturnOfHolmes folder inside that. The webaddress for your file will be:
http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/chocoh ... lename.mp3
- If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
- your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
- the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by chocoholic on June 18th, 2007, 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.